2009 NHL season thread- Part II

jkrdevil

I'm pleased with the way the Jackets have come back and tied this game at three against the Canucks after a PP goal, and then a Nash wraparound. I love watching Center Ice and seeing the Canadian commercials.

It's now 5-3! We may be the team that kills the Canucks :P .

:censored: . Stupid penalty lets the 'Nucks back in the game. :censored:

:censored: . 5-5. :censored:

Oh, and yes I'm aware that I'm quoting myself.

Neener.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pleased with the way the Jackets have come back and tied this game at three against the Canucks after a PP goal, and then a Nash wraparound. I love watching Center Ice and seeing the Canadian commercials.

What is so exciting about the Canadian commercials?

Neener.

There goes Steve Mason's Vezina. Two of those goals were exactly the same, deflections off of the defender covering the behind the net floater. That was a really good game, and Jason Williams is looking like he was a good pickup. I would've prefferred a regulation win, but two points is always good.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Neener.

There goes Steve Mason's Vezina. Two of those goals were exactly the same, deflections off of the defender covering the behind the net floater. That was a really good game, and Jason Williams is looking like he was a good pickup. I would've prefferred a regulation win, but two points is always good.

Agreed. If you would have told me that this game would have been 6-5 in a shootout, I would have said you were crazy. Aside from Mason giving up the 5 goals, us scoring those 5 goals was amazing.

I'll take Jason Williams for 2 points, Alex.

6fQjS3M.png

Jesus Christ that was brutal!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

"While former Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn is considered the top candidate to replace Therrien, TSN analyst Pierre McGuire shouldn't be ruled out as a possible replacement."

Oh, that would be too good, no longer having to listen to McGuire's annoying voice every broadcast on TSN.

Wade-sig.png

"While former Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn is considered the top candidate to replace Therrien, TSN analyst Pierre McGuire shouldn't be ruled out as a possible replacement."

Oh, that would be too good, no longer having to listen to McGuire's annoying voice every broadcast on TSN.

Link?

Link?

Woops, sorry bout that.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/20...060921-sun.html

Wade-sig.png

I sure wish I could support the Blues without supporting the NHL. I leave one of the most exciting and inspiring Blues performances in a long time still totally pissed off.

The Blues led the Bruins 2-1 late in the third period and had really stepped up their play, not allowing a Boston shot the entire period. Then a phantom elbow penalty is called on the Blues. A phantom hook follows.

Boston scores on the 5 on 3 and the 5 on 4 and is suddenly up 3-2. Boston then seemingly put it away with an even strength goal just over a minute later.

The Blues would get a chance on the Power Play before it was over though, pulled their goalie for the 6 on 4, and scored to pull within one at 4-3 with 1:20 to go.

The goalie remained pulled and the Blues scored with under a second left on a deflection off of the shaft of the Blues forwards stick. It took a five minute review before the goal was confirmed, and the Blues tied it at 4.

Overtime went scoreless and the Blues won 2-0 in the shootout for a 5-4 victory. That's an amazing comeback by my Blues.

But I'm still pissed about that officiating. The two penalties called on the Blues at the end were absolutely none existent. In one case the ref wasn't even facing the play, but turned to see the Boston player on the ice and then called the hook. It's horrid.

And until the NHL starts coming up with some accountability for their refs, it will remain an inferior product to ever other major sport out there, in spite of the exciting nature of the sport of hockey.

As it is right now, you never know when the refs will interject themselves by making a game changing call that either shouldn't be called at all or is called so inconsistently that players don't know what's legal and what's not. It's ridiculous.

[/rant]

At least we got a win.

I sure wish I could support the Blues without supporting the NHL. I leave one of the most exciting and inspiring Blues performances in a long time still totally pissed off.

The Blues led the Bruins 2-1 late in the third period and had really stepped up their play, not allowing a Boston shot the entire period. Then a phantom elbow penalty is called on the Blues. A phantom hook follows.

Boston scores on the 5 on 3 and the 5 on 4 and is suddenly up 3-2. Boston then seemingly put it away with an even strength goal just over a minute later.

The Blues would get a chance on the Power Play before it was over though, pulled their goalie for the 6 on 4, and scored to pull within one at 4-3 with 1:20 to go.

The goalie remained pulled and the Blues scored with under a second left on a deflection off of the shaft of the Blues forwards stick. It took a five minute review before the goal was confirmed, and the Blues tied it at 4.

Overtime went scoreless and the Blues won 2-0 in the shootout for a 5-4 victory. That's an amazing comeback by my Blues.

But I'm still pissed about that officiating. The two penalties called on the Blues at the end were absolutely none existent. In one case the ref wasn't even facing the play, but turned to see the Boston player on the ice and then called the hook. It's horrid.

And until the NHL starts coming up with some accountability for their refs, it will remain an inferior product to ever other major sport out there, in spite of the exciting nature of the sport of hockey.

As it is right now, you never know when the refs will interject themselves by making a game changing call that either shouldn't be called at all or is called so inconsistently that players don't know what's legal and what's not. It's ridiculous.

[/rant]

At least we got a win.

After the lockout a lot of people were suggesting that players should have to serve the entire penalty regardless of whether the team scores on the power play or not. This right here is a shining example of why the league should never implement such a policy. It puts too much control into the officials hands and then we'd have the NBA on our hands.

PvO6ZWJ.png

NHL 3 Stars this Week

3rd Star

Rich Peverley, Atlanta Thrashers, 1 Goal 5 Assists

2nd Star

Mike Cammalleri, Calgary Flames, 5 Goals, 1 Assist

1st Star

Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings, 1 Goal, 6 Assists

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

[/rant]

At least we got a win.

Come on now. You know the first one was a make-up call at least, and while I don't blame them for not changing the call I think the last-second goal was bull :censored:. They called a fair penalty on the B's right after the last goal and the penalty on Wideman beforehand was crap. As much as the Blues deserved it based on the entire body of work, and terrible excuse thereof put up by the Bruins, I think you are overreacting here. The officiating wasn't nearly as lopsided as you are saying and the biggest call -- the last goal -- went your way.

Wow, Wideman gets a team-high +2 for his fantastic s**t-show of a game. What a joke. Him, Wheeler, and Thomas played especially bad and I have no idea why the hell PJ is taking shootouts. Overall a terrible game

Okay, I guess I should admit I saw very little of the game and was mostly confined to listening to it on the radio. But the highlights I've seen haven't made me change my mind any, and nothing I've read from Blues fans (yeah..I know..there's a bias there) implies otherwise.

But I'm willing to admit there's probably another side.

That said, I still think calling to phantom penalties in a row were bigger calls than that last goal. And frankly, I don't know how they could have called the last goal anything else. It was just way to borderline to take away. The Bruins didn't even have a shot in the third period until the refs gave them a 5 on 3.

But you know what... I really don't even need to get into a fan argument over this game, (and so I hope we aren't...really not my intention whatsoever) because this games really not the end all to what I'm saying.

I think we've all seen enough putrid reffing in the NHL the last few years. Reffing that changes games. Reffing that calls penalties that either didn't happen or just inconsistently calls minor items. And that's the main point. I'm quite sure the Blues aren't the only team who get it. I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think they're terrible.

And today was just the last straw for me (if there was actually something I could do.)

Today was the day where I almost said I'm done going to games...I just can't do that to my Blues...it's not their fault the league won't fix this problem.

Okay, I guess I should admit I saw very little of the game and was mostly confined to listening to it on the radio. But the highlights I've seen haven't made me change my mind any, and nothing I've read from Blues fans (yeah..I know..there's a bias there) implies otherwise.

But I'm willing to admit there's probably another side.

That said, I still think calling to phantom penalties in a row were bigger calls than that last goal. And frankly, I don't know how they could have called the last goal anything else. It was just way to borderline to take away. The Bruins didn't even have a shot in the third period until the refs gave them a 5 on 3.

But you know what... I really don't even need to get into a fan argument over this game, (and so I hope we aren't...really not my intention whatsoever) because this games really not the end all to what I'm saying.

I think we've all seen enough putrid reffing in the NHL the last few years. Reffing that changes games. Reffing that calls penalties that either didn't happen or just inconsistently calls minor items. And that's the main point. I'm quite sure the Blues aren't the only team who get it. I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think they're terrible.

And today was just the last straw for me (if there was actually something I could do.)

Today was the day where I almost said I'm done going to games...I just can't do that to my Blues...it's not their fault the league won't fix this problem.

No problem. I admit the Blues deserved it today, and I admit I haven't been as much as a hardcore fan of the NHL the last few years to make general judgments of the officiating. So I can't justifiably say anything to rebut your claim, I can just rebut the claim about today's game, lol. You're entitled to your opinion, and I absolutely don't doubt it.

Archived