2009 NHL season thread- Part II

jkrdevil

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to see Miroslav Satan on the Devils

Even if they got him, you wouldnt see him. He's invisible.

Anyway, I guess any animosity between Malkin and Ovechkin is gone. Ovy is cool, I guess. I still dont really like him.

oBIgzrL.png

Who's the ding-dong operating the camera during the YoungStars game? "Hey! Let's show a replay, right as someone is on a breakaway! No one will care."

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL adopt a rule, similar to the MLB's All Star Game - the side that wins, their conference gets home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals. Could add a little more excitement to the game.

Also, sorry if this has been answered, but is VS the only station that will show the All Star Game this year? Normally it's picked up by a national network, correct?

First the home ice based on All-Star game is stupid. Home ice advantage should go to the team with the best record (i.e. most points). To reward home ice based off the all-star devalues the regular season. It's one thing for baseball to do it (And I disagree with it there) because baseball has never awarded home field based on results, however home ice for the Stanley Cup has been traditionally given to the team with the best record.

Secondly, yes, Versus is the only place it is on in the US. Versus however is a national network (not a regional one). If you mean over the air network, the All-Star game hasn't been on an over the air channel since 2004.

I'm talking like an ABC, NBC or CBS. That's what I consider a national network. I could of sworn last year's game was on NBC.

what the hell is ccslc?

Who's the ding-dong operating the camera during the YoungStars game? "Hey! Let's show a replay, right as someone is on a breakaway! No one will care."

No kidding.

Show the replays during the intermissions. 3-4 goals have been missed due to Versus showing replays, showing Marc Staal's mug, or being on commercial.

No wonder their hockey coverage doesn't get taken seriously.

No kidding.

Show the replays during the intermissions. 3-4 goals have been missed due to Versus showing replays, showing Marc Staal's mug, or being on commercial.

Exactly. Happened again right after Marc Staal's goal. Apparently Stamkos scored.

I don't care what Marc Staal does after he scores. I don't care to know what Patrick Berglund looks like or what his season stats are. Don't show me replays and useless information. Show me hockey.

Also, Blake Wheeler just looks out of place out there. Kid plays like a 10-year vet.

what the hell is ccslc?

No kidding.

Exactly. Happened again right after Marc Staal's goal. Apparently Stamkos scored.

I don't care what Marc Staal does after he scores. I don't care to know what Patrick Berglund looks like or what his season stats are. Don't show me replays and useless information. Show me hockey.

Also, Blake Wheeler just looks out of place out there. Kid plays like a 10-year vet.

Yeah they showed the end of a replay, and you hear

"Stamkos on a break away! GOAL!"

Then it cuts to Staal.

Malkin really just went 4-for-4 in the accuracy contest? Only one looked like it came with 6 inches of the target. Plus, they're only showing replays of the obvious hits. Something's fishy here....

what the hell is ccslc?

Because everything is fixed for pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

I never said it was fixed just for Pittsburgh. All I said was that it's strange that a lot of these targets don't look like they're getting hit, yet are called as hits. And they refused to show the replays on the close ones. That's all.

what the hell is ccslc?

I never said it was fixed just for Pittsburgh. All I said was that it's strange that a lot of these targets don't look like they're getting hit, yet are called as hits. And they refused to show the replays on the close ones. That's all.

Well, considering your comment on NBC showing just pens games earlier, and all the "NHL fixes everything for the pens" crap that floats around the leauge, I was led to think thats what you meant.

In any case, Zedeno Chara has the slapshot of gods.

oBIgzrL.png

Was it just me, or was the Skills Competition kind of dull?

The Elimination Shootout had some excitement, but that was about it. The fastest skater clock didn't work. The fan-voting Breakaway Challenge format just looked horrible. The YoungStars game might have been better had Versus refrained from showing numerous replays while play is going on. The Accuracy and Hardest Shot were about on par. But as a whole, it kinda sucked.

And though it was kind of meaningless, what happened to the conference vs. conference scoring for the Skills Competition?

The NHL needs to find a format for the Skills Competition and stick with it for more than just one year.

Well, considering your comment on NBC showing just pens games earlier, and all the "NHL fixes everything for the pens" crap that floats around the leauge, I was led to think thats what you meant.

In any case, Zedeno Chara has the slapshot of gods.

Lets see how hard he'll shoot when using a wooden stick like Al Iafrate did. I don't think he'd come close to his record.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Was it just me, or was the Skills Competition kind of dull?

The Elimination Shootout had some excitement, but that was about it. The fastest skater clock didn't work. The fan-voting Breakaway Challenge format just looked horrible. The YoungStars game might have been better had Versus refrained from showing numerous replays while play is going on. The Accuracy and Hardest Shot were about on par. But as a whole, it kinda sucked.

And though it was kind of meaningless, what happened to the conference vs. conference scoring for the Skills Competition?

The NHL needs to find a format for the Skills Competition and stick with it for more than just one year.

Gary Bettman ruined the Skills Competition. He tried to turn it into the NBA where they have their Slam dunk , and into MLB with the Home Run Derby.

He should of kept it the same, just as other things, in the NHL.

The man is clueless and even with the problem right infront his face he goes around it and tries to fix the solution.

No matter how bad or dull it will get he will keep it the same... imo the man is a joke.

4kv29i.jpg

I definitely enjoyed last year's format a lot better.

Fastest Skater was fine, but it was ruined by the clock not working. Should've tested it before.

Breakaway Challenge was a joke. Ovechkin won because his was funny, not based on any skill. That kinda of format doesnt work for that. Last year's format (with rounds and elimination based on judges scoring) was much better. You have to make that like the Slam Dunk competition. Otherwise, people will do what Ovechkin did and just be fools rather than show skill.

YoungStars... Camera angles. Nuff seid.

Accuracy was fine. Same format as it's always been. Hard to screw that up. (Except when all they did was talk to Marc Savard instead of focusing on the competition)

Hardest shot was great as always. Chara has a CANNON! That was ridiculous.

Elimination Shootout might be my new favorite event. That was extremely entertaining.

I have two complaints with the Versus coverage of the SuperSkills.

-Camera Angles and Cuts and Editing

-Mic'd Up. It was a great concept. Marc Savard was entertaining but they used him way too much. I was okay with having Parise, but they almost never talked to him. But get some Western Conference coverage jeez. I can't remember them talking to one WC player the whole time. And if youre going to only have 2 mics, do one from each conference. I know Ryan Getzlaf and he's a blast to talk to. He would've been the guy from the West they should've mic'd.

Let's hope the game tomorrow isn't destroyed by the Versus prodcution team <_< ...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't think Bettman has that much say in what all happens during the Skills Competition. Last year's Skills Competition was a lot more exciting. Part of the problem is that the league isn't consistent with the skills events. The NBA and MLB (as far as I know) has the same skills/events each year. When the players are confused about what to do, that's a problem. Last year's "Trick Shot" event had some players a little confused about what to do, but with a second attempt at it, players know what to do, what to expect, and can prepare for it.

Here's what I'd propose, in this order:

3-on-3 YoungStars Game (I'd prefer East vs. West, but Rookies vs. Sophomores is fine)

Fastest Skater (The 1-lap format like tonight)

Puck-handling Obstacle Course (One skater, not the 4-player drill like in 2008)

Goalie Empty-Net Drill (Has that hurdle the puck has to clear before puck gets to the goal)

Elimination Shootout (Tonight's version was great)

Accuracy Shooting

Hardest Shot

Trick-Shot Shootout (Like in 2008....great concept, it could have dwarfed last year's results)

Archived