2009 NHL season thread- Part II

jkrdevil

It's also a gleaming example of how new sports arenas do nothing to revitalize a downtown, but that's another thread.

i'd like to beg to differ, if you had seen Chinatown in downtown DC before Verizon was built, and how it looks now, you'd agree with me. Verizon was a total revitalization to that part of DC, new shops, new restaurants, more police presence cleaned up that part of town.

on the subject of Winnipeg, i dont believe it was ever lack of fan support that forced them to move in the first place. so any argument that they could outdraw a team like PHX or NSH is moot since they had already done that and got moved anyway. its sad that Winnipeg cant sustain a franchise, but unfortunately thats the way it is sometimes.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's also a gleaming example of how new sports arenas do nothing to revitalize a downtown, but that's another thread.

i'd like to beg to differ, if you had seen Chinatown in downtown DC before Verizon was built, and how it looks now, you'd agree with me. Verizon was a total revitalization to that part of DC, new shops, new restaurants, more police presence cleaned up that part of town.

on the subject of Winnipeg, i dont believe it was ever lack of fan support that forced them to move in the first place. so any argument that they could outdraw a team like PHX or NSH is moot since they had already done that and got moved anyway. its sad that Winnipeg cant sustain a franchise, but unfortunately thats the way it is sometimes.

Columbus Ohio Disagrees with you Lee

Speaking of Columbus, Ohio, does a devils fan want to tell me how it's possible to score a goal with the net off of its moorings? Anytime a goal goes to Toronto the Jackets are given some BS explanation as to why they are getting screwed over again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Last night's Thrashers game reminded me why you never give up on your favorite team, no matter how bad things get. I went to the game yesterday against the Leafs, we were down 3-0 after 1 period, and it looked like it was already over (kinda like their entire season), but then Kovalchuk got them going with a goal, and after 2 it was 3-2. Then a pretty sick goal with like 5 minutes left by the Thrashers tied it, a new guy named Peverly set up Kovy pretty nicely with a wide open net, and it went to OT. The Peverly guy, who used to play for Nashville apparantly, won it on a rebound of a Kovalchuk shot, so Peverly ended up with 1 g 2 a and Kovalchuk had 2 g 1 a. A very exciting game and the fans really got into it, which was good considering the way the season is going. I was happy to see it, the first game I went to this season they lost to Nashville in OT after a late comeback, so I was happy that didn't happen again.

When did the Thrashers land Rich Peverley? He was a beast when he played with Milwaukee in the AHL, and I'd heard a fair amount of his skills had translated up to the NHL level. Seems like a positive acquisition.

EDIT: Looks like the Thrash got him off the waiver wire. Nice pickup.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is it wierd I feel more confident in a pens team with Crosby, Gonchar, Letang, Scuderi, Zigomanis, Talbot, and maybe Orpik all out?

Yes.

But they looked really good in their win vs. the Ducks last night.

And the pens traded backup Sabourin, prospect Ryan Stone, and a 4th rounder in 2011 for Mattheiu Garon... I think its a fairly good move for us.

oBIgzrL.png

But what does the MTS Centre have to do with downtown DC or Columbus?

Winnipeg's fan support was an issue, though. If you look, at no time, not even in their 84-85 season (4th overall), did they even come close to averaging even 14,000 per game, in what was then the 3rd-smallest arena in the league. During the Save The Jets Campaign v2.0, it spiked to somewhere around 13,500 or so, give or take, but for a city so determined not to lose their team, you need to show that you want that team around, even if the North Stars or Kings are in town, AGAIN.

That being said, the Arena was arguably the loudest building in the league come playoff time. I still remember sitting in the overhang seats during Jets-Red Wings game 1, with the entire section of seats shifting up and down by as much as 6 inches either way...good times.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

HAHAHAHAHA!

The Islanders re-signed Wade Dubielewicz 3 days ago to fill in for the oft-injured Rick Dipietro (who I believe will never regain his form nor stay healthy again) and got claimed off waivers by the Columbus Blue Jackets before being able to join the big team. I gotta say, this has to be a kick in the nuts for Garth Snow who now has to probably go look around and trade for a goalie after this move seems to have backfired on him big time.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

HAHAHAHAHA!

The Islanders re-signed Wade Dubielewicz 3 days ago to fill in for the oft-injured Rick Dipietro (who I believe will never regain his form nor stay healthy again) and got claimed off waivers by the Columbus Blue Jackets before being able to join the big team. I gotta say, this has to be a kick in the nuts for Garth Snow, who now probably has to go look around and trade for a goalie after this move seemed to have backfired on him big time.

Since Curtis Sanford cleared Waivers to get to Manitoba, I see no reason why he couldn't go to the Islanders for some delicious, delicious draft picks.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

HAHAHAHAHA!

The Islanders re-signed Wade Dubielewicz 3 days ago to fill in for the oft-injured Rick Dipietro (who I believe will never regain his form nor stay healthy again) and got claimed off waivers by the Columbus Blue Jackets before being able to join the big team. I gotta say, this has to be a kick in the nuts for Garth Snow, who now probably has to go look around and trade for a goalie after this move seemed to have backfired on him big time.

Since Curtis Sanford cleared Waivers to get to Manitoba, I see no reason why he couldn't go to the Islanders for some delicious, delicious draft picks.

I'm sure Snow will wait for someone better to become available. I get the feeling they know Dipietro will be someone who can't handle a heavy workload so he will move for someone who can play half the games and win a good chunk of them.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Winnipeg's fan support was an issue, though. If you look, at no time, not even in their 84-85 season (4th overall), did they even come close to averaging even 14,000 per game, in what was then the 3rd-smallest arena in the league. During the Save The Jets Campaign v2.0, it spiked to somewhere around 13,500 or so, give or take, but for a city so determined not to lose their team, you need to show that you want that team around, even if the North Stars or Kings are in town, AGAIN.

That being said, the Arena was arguably the loudest building in the league come playoff time. I still remember sitting in the overhang seats during Jets-Red Wings game 1, with the entire section of seats shifting up and down by as much as 6 inches either way...good times.

what i thought you meant by sports arenas having nothing to do with revitalizing a downtown was in general. it didnt seem like you were just making a reference to Winnipeg.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

When did the Thrashers land Rich Peverley? He was a beast when he played with Milwaukee in the AHL, and I'd heard a fair amount of his skills had translated up to the NHL level. Seems like a positive acquisition.

EDIT: Looks like the Thrash got him off the waiver wire. Nice pickup.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard him say Peverly. So did Nashville release him then?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

what i thought you meant by sports arenas having nothing to do with revitalizing a downtown was in general. it didnt seem like you were just making a reference to Winnipeg.

same

PvO6ZWJ.png

War Room 2-Blue Jackets 0

Second time this year we've been jipped by the War Room. It's obvious, the NHL woul much rather want Minny or in tonight's case the Devils in the playoffs than us. Net gets knocked off moorings right before the puck goes in, and they count the goal. It's really stupid.

Speaking of Columbus, Ohio, does a devils fan want to tell me how it's possible to score a goal with the net off of its moorings? Anytime a goal goes to Toronto the Jackets are given some BS explanation as to why they are getting screwed over again.

I was wondering the same thing ^_^ . Also, were there as many Devils fans there last night as it looked?

6fQjS3M.png

Caps absolutely outplayed the Bruins. beat them at their own game. it was a methodical, well thought out played game of hockey. very exciting win.

The Thrashers just annihilated Peverley's former team tonight, 7-2. I think that for whatever reason, that comeback last night might have FINALLY turned the switch on for this team. I think that and Peverley actually has some pretty nice chemistry with Kovy means that the Thrashers have gone from "bad" to "decent." I doubt that they'll get themselves out of that hole that they're in...but there's hope.

Well the rule is that the net has to be all the way off of it's moorings before the puck crosses the goal line for a goal to be waived off. It was originally called a goal on the ice and looking at the replay you couldn't tell if part of the net was still on the moorings or not when the puck crossed so it reverted to the on ice call. To be honest watching the game live I thought it would have been called no goal but it was close I can see how it was inconclusive. The Devils got screwed in Anaheim on an inconclusive call when the ref waited a good 5 seconds after blowing the whistle before looking in to see if the puck crossed the line or not.

That said there are a couple of things on that goal. First, if Mason controls the puck and doesn't let it loose the whether the net was on or off would have been a non-factor. That wrap around shot is one that a goaltender should control and hold onto. Secondly the net was knocked off by Columbus player had it been ruled a no goal there is an argument from the Devils side that a penalty shot should be awarded. So I wouldn't be blaming the refs for the loss.

As for whether an arena can help revitalize a downtown, it all depends on the area and how busy the arena is. The Verizon Center is one of the busiest in North America so you end up having people down in that area constantly.

In what had to be the game of the year so far, the Sharks beat the Red Wings 6-5. I live in Sacramento and the news shows highlights of the Denver Nuggets before they show Sharks. Just stupid but oh well. I am sensing a SJ-DET conference final

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived