2009 MLB Hall of Fame Class:

TFoA

Don Mattingly shouldn't be in any discussion about getting in to the hall of fame unless he's in line for a ticket.

Well, if someone says that the Red Sox bought a HOF ticket for Rice, why not the Yankees for Donnie Baseball? They have the money for doing it. ^_^

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Don Mattingly shouldn't be in any discussion about getting in to the hall of fame unless he's in line for a ticket.

Well, if someone says that the Red Sox bought a HOF ticket for Rice, why not the Yankees for Donnie Baseball? They have the money for doing it. ^_^

Because even the Yankees know that Mattingly has no business being in the HOF.

This is what irks me about the national sports media.

Rice is definitely legit and always was. It took that long for the writers to get over his attitude.

Blyleven was one of the most feared pitchers of his time, but was never considered a superstar by the writers and broadcasters. So he's not a Hall of Famer, regardless of his numbers.

Blyleven was hurt by the teams for which he played. He fell, I think, 13 wins short of 300 and he pitched for some bad teams, particularly in Texas and Cleveland when going below .500 was an absolute given.

Of course, all the homers hurt too.

As a Twins fan, I am pulling for him, but if he does not get in, I don't know that I'll feel he's been cheated. I think Tony Oliva deserved a better look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The idiot writers that abstained from voting in Rickey Henderson? Revoke their privileges immediately, they CLEARLY do not get it.

Personality? Abrasiveness? Come on. The writers think they're above the system here - and are putting on a show for no reason.

Bingo. It's not about them or about whether Ricky did not give the interview Ricky should have given them after Ricky broke the record. He was the greatest leadoff hitter of all time. And not voting for him was about trying to make it about themselves, ironically, the very same gripe they probably had with Ricky.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is what irks me about the national sports media.

Rice is definitely legit and always was. It took that long for the writers to get over his attitude.

Blyleven was one of the most feared pitchers of his time, but was never considered a superstar by the writers and broadcasters. So he's not a Hall of Famer, regardless of his numbers.

Blyleven was hurt by the teams for which he played. He fell, I think, 13 wins short of 300 and he pitched for some bad teams, particularly in Texas and Cleveland when going below .500 was an absolute given.

Of course, all the homers hurt too.

As a Twins fan, I am pulling for him, but if he does not get in, I don't know that I'll feel he's been cheated. I think Tony Oliva deserved a better look.

I totally agree about Oliva. He definitely belongs in the Hall.

How long was Rickey a Mets coach?

I know he was in 2007 I think, but how long did that last, or is he still?

Also, I had no idea SAndy Alomar Jr. and Sr. were on the Mets staff, thats amazing.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

How long was Rickey a Mets coach?

I know he was in 2007 I think, but how long did that last, or is he still?

Also, I had no idea SAndy Alomar Jr. and Sr. were on the Mets staff, thats amazing.

Henderson was the Mets 1B Coach after the all star break in 2007 and before that was just a Spring Training instructor.

Sandy Sr. last year was Mets 3B Coach and next year will be the Bench Coach, Sandy Jr. is the catching instructor.

But no Mets coach is cooler then the immortal Razor Shines, who will be there in 2009 at 3B.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I totally agree about Oliva. He definitely belongs in the Hall.

No he doesn't. Anyone comparable to Oliva stats wise is not in the Hall either.

I was also one of those people who said Rice shouldn't be in the Hall either. However, today I did some looking at his stats on baseball reference and it pulled up the 10 hitters with the most similar stats. For Rice four of his comprables are in the Hall (Stargell, Snider, Billy Williams and Orlando Cepeda).

Right!!! Following that premise, if Rice has no business being in the HOF according to the Red Sox, why spending money making lobby for him? Ha!

(This isn't a direct answer to Fiasco, it goes for those who think that Rice shouldn't be in the HOF.)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Right!!! Following that premise, if Rice has no business being in the HOF according to the Red Sox, why spending money making lobby for him? Ha!

(This isn't a direct answer to Fiasco, it goes for those who think that Rice shouldn't be in the HOF.)

Dawson had better numbers all around than Rice, and he's not in the hall.

Class of 2010, baby.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

For 14 years Rice was not hall worthy. Now he is?

It makes no sense. I think HOF votes should be one and done. Either you're in, or you're out.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It makes no sense. I think HOF votes should be one and done. Either you're in, or you're out.

Some writers feel that nobody should get in on the first ballot. I think the writer's system is ok, but they should reduce the number to 66% gets in.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Dawson had better numbers all around than Rice, and he's not in the hall.

Class of 2010, baby.

Hopefully we will see Dawson, as well as Edgar Martinez and Barry Larkin in the Class of 2010.

No argument here. How did the guy get better in the nine years since he hasn't played? And if the writers are going to pull their "first ballot" bull- :censored: then it's time to designate the HOF accordingly. We'll have levels. First ballot, second, "guys it took 14 years to get here" etc. The HOF has been around long enough that we can kind of establish what constitutes a HOF career and what doesn't. If it took 14 years to decide if Jim Rice belonged or not then I would say he probably didn't belong in the first place.

BB52Big.jpg

No argument here. How did the guy get better in the nine years since he hasn't played? And if the writers are going to pull their "first ballot" bull- :censored: then it's time to designate the HOF accordingly. We'll have levels. First ballot, second, "guys it took 14 years to get here" etc. The HOF has been around long enough that we can kind of establish what constitutes a HOF career and what doesn't. If it took 14 years to decide if Jim Rice belonged or not then I would say he probably didn't belong in the first place.

Firstly let me say that almost everyone gets more and more votes each year on the ballot so this is normal and I don't think it's a bad thing. Secondly I would be in favor of a "pyramid" system; as in people who are in can get voted to different levels, higher and higher, etc. So different echelons can kind of be sorted out naturally, and it satisfies both those in favor of a really exclusive HOF and those with lesser standards. As I said Rice was pretty much borderline at most for me objectively but I don't think the 15 years on the ballot should affect his candidacy/induction at all.

Archived