Baracklyn Cyclones

WJMorris3

baracklynsite_jersey.jpg

Can a minor league team change the name of baseball's most legendary borough? YES WE CAN!

For one night this summer, the Brooklyn Cyclones will be transformed into the Baracklyn Cyclones, honoring the 44th President of the United States with a night of patriotic partying at the ballpark.

The June 23rd festivities will feature:

Alternate red, white, and blue jerseys adorned with the team?s new name

FREE Barack Obama bobbleheads to the first 2,500 fans in attendance, featuring the President in a Baracklyn Cyclones Jersey

The Economic Stimulus Package: From 10am on January 20th ? Inauguration Day ? to midnight on January 23rd, ticket prices for the June 23rd game will be ?rolled back? to the Cyclones? inaugural 2001 season rates: $10 Field Box Seats, $8 Box Seats, $5 Bleacher Seats. Beginning January 24th, tickets will be priced at the regular 2009 rates ($15, $12, $8)

Universal Health Care: Free Band-Aids to the first 1,000 fans

Naming Rights: Anyone named Barack gets in for free (Bring your ID on the night of the game)

Joe the Plumber special: any plumber named Joe gets two free tickets ? one for himself, and one to ?spread the wealth? with a friend (Bring your ID and a business card or proof of employment on the night of the game)

Bi-Partisan Consolation Prize: anyone named McCain or Palin will get a free Bleacher Seat (Bring your ID on the night of the game)

A clear-cut Exit Strategy: fans will receive American Flags and discount coupons as they leave the ballpark

The landmark game will take place on Tuesday, June 23rd ? the ?Inaugural Tuesday? of the 2009 NYPL season - when the Cyclones host the Hudson Valley Renegades at 7pm at KeySpan Park.

Game-worn jerseys from the one-of-a-kind night will be auctioned off throughout the game, with proceeds being donated to the Jackie Robinson Foundation, which provides comprehensive scholarships and support services to minority students enrolled at institutions of higher education.

From January 20 - 23 ticket prices will be "rolled back" to the Cyclones' inaugural 2001 season: $10, $8, and $5

Get your tickets online or at 718-507-TIXX, beginning January 20th at 10am

I don't know, I think the jerseys are a bit overkill.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate sports and politics mixing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I sort of like the idea, but for the Economic Stimulus package, shouldn't they be raising prices?

And the if your name is... thing is pretty lame, I doubt anyone named Barack will show up.

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

Ditto. It's cute, yes, but alienating a large portion of your potential fan base seems to be a pretty stupid idea.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I agree, but I doubt I the 'clones can are worried about alienating all five of republicans that live in Brooklyn...

Right. It was more a general point, but still seems like bad business.

But if they're selling these jerseys (as I listen to a report about Obama-themed merchandise on NPR) online, they might just make up by tenfold whatever they may have lost.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Ditto. It's cute, yes, but alienating a large portion of your potential fan base seems to be a pretty stupid idea.

Honestly, anyone who would be "alienated" by such a thing is a pretty massive jerk, and while I get that baseball teams need to be able to appeal to jerks too, you can't let the jerks dictate your promotions schedule. The calculus would be different the summer before the election -- passions probably run too high even to do a bipartisan version where you do one day for each candidate -- but the first summer of a popular new president's term, three years from the next election? And when most of the stunts they're pulling are actually poking fun at Obamamania, plus the free tickets to plumbers named Joe, and they're playing the Renegades, which is a synonym for "maverick"? There's really no downside here. Anyone with even the tiniest shred of a sense of humor will not be "alienated" by this promotion, and anyone who lacks the requisite sense of humor is not a minor-league baseball fan to begin with.

As to the name thing, Brooklyn has no shortage of men named Barak. As long as they're willing to recognize the more common spelling, they should expect to give away some tickets.

It is a shame the uniforms aren't a little more restrained. If you must do stars and stripes, make one sleeve stripes, the other sleeve stars; get rid of the word "Cyclones" in the script; and make the "44" on the front solid blue; and these would be decent. But as busy it is, the jersey is, ahem, bush league. (Apologies; the pun was irresistible.)

20082614447.png

Some of their ideas are creative and fun. I laughed at most of them. I would agree that sports and politics shouldn't mix, but this is a good hearted effort. The jerseys though? I could do without them.

Also, it wouldn't be alienating 50% of their fans, it would be more like 45.7%. ;)

It's too bad I gave up my season tickets when I moved to Chicago. I wish I had an opportunity to cancel them all over again.

What I can say is that, even if the fans at the stadium didn't vote Obama, I have no doubt that the area surrounding Keyspan Park did.

I..... I just don't get it. I mean, Baracklyn? Why?

My problem isn't with honoring our elected President, it's with the "universal health" care and the "bi-partisan consolation" stuff.

Honoring a President isn't bringing sides into the game, but that stuff is overkill for me.

It's what minor-league teams need to do, so oh well, but that's the part thats where the mix becomes too strong for me.

Also, it wouldn't be alienating 50% of their fans, it would be more like 45.7%. ;)

Only 21% of Brooklynites voted for a candidate other than the President-elect. (source)

that 21% is the leper community we tend to shield from the rest of new york. we only let them out when R's and elephants come to town.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Really?

I'm sorry (not really) but I go to sports events to avoid politics, not to get beaten over the head with them. Hence, I attended many sports events during this past election campaign.

If you're upset about this, do you also get upset when a championship team visits the Whitehouse? If this promotion is "mixing politics and sports" so is that visit.

Even though it doesn't affect me either way (probably because it's minor league), I can understand what others are saying. The White House visit is no big deal, because it doesn't really involve the fans. What bugs me, is the national anthem and "God Bless America" at sporting events. To me, that's an unnecessary mix of entertainment and politics--and religion, in the case of "God Bless America".

Archived