Baracklyn Cyclones

WJMorris3

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, this isn't an election year... its not about politics... its about a president.

If you're upset about this, do you also get upset when a championship team visits the Whitehouse? If this promotion is "mixing politics and sports" so is that visit.

That's an office honoring a team, which I think is much different than a team honoring a person who holds an office.

It's an overstatement to say that I'm upset about this, because honestly it means very little to me. I just think that it's wrong because they've turned a game into a three-hour long political message, and (as DG pointed out earlier) they're alienating a part of their fan base.

Full disclosure - I'm a registered Democrat who voted for Obama in both the primary and general election.

Back on topic - the jersey is hideous. Some of those numbers (most likely the 1s) are going to look horrible in the stars and stripes motif.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, it wouldn't be alienating 50% of their fans, it would be more like 45.7%. ;)

Only 21% of Brooklynites voted for a candidate other than the President-elect. (source)

I wasn't going to unfairly assume that only Brooklynites are fans of the Cyclones, but your point is still taken.

Full disclosure - I'm a registered Democrat who voted for O'Bama in both the primary and general election.

What, he's Irish now?

What - he's not? ;)

(wow that was bad. I'm ashamed of myself!)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Baracklyn change seems a little under-thought, and the jerseys do need work. However, the promotion itself is very clever and very MiLB. I like how tongue in cheek all the promotions are, some for and some against the Obama campaign, but all thought out. After the election is over, I think the Obama-biased fanbase can look at all the parts of this promotion and laugh a little, because their guy won, and all those points either supported his effort or were overcome by it.

I also think that the Cyclones' front office either A) saw their Republican fanbase ase far too small to worry about considering their location (this isn't Staten Island, after all), B) figured they would be able to either deal with it or just not come for one night out of the schedule, or C) both.

As for the sports/politics mixing...again, it's one night, and will no doubt be as well-hyped as a minor league sports promo can be...so hopefully fans who wouldn't wanna partake can know in advance and not come. So I give it a pass.

And btw, on the "their guy"...let me just point out I'm speaking neutrally. Also voted for Obama as well, fwiw.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I thought it was a pretty funny and clever idea on there part. Trust me they don't need any gimmicks or giveaways to sell out their ballpark everynight. They have been one of if not the most popular teams since they were created.

It would be interesting to see how they do with the promotion if there is a big loss or not. I doubt there will be because their ticket base is pretty damn strong (so strong that they had to had a few thousand more seats a week before the first pitch was ever thrown).

Full disclosure - I'm a registered Democrat who voted for O'Bama in both the primary and general election.

What, he's Irish now?

Actually, on my first day of my "History of Modern Ireland" class yesterday, the professor said something about one of Obama's great grandparents (not sure how many generations back) was from Ireland - and that on the 20th, we'll be inaugurating not the first black president, but the third Irish president.

He also made an O'Bama joke. ^_^

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think it's a clever idea. It's not extremely partisan or anything. Plus, the large majority of their fanbase is Democratic - after all, this is Brooklyn, this is NYC. I think it's pretty funny and inventive, and should result in a good crowd.

(That said, I may be biased as an ardent Obama supporter.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Again, this isn't an election year... its not about politics... its about a president.

If you're upset about this, do you also get upset when a championship team visits the Whitehouse? If this promotion is "mixing politics and sports" so is that visit.

Good point.

The name is silly, and the jerseys are horrible, but I love the long list of promotions. Inspired stuff.

• 5 months later...

I was at the "Baracklyn" Cyclones game tonight. They had an Obama impersonator going around plugging their "Fan Stimulus" ticket sale, and played insanely horrible yeehaw patriotic music like "Proud to be an American" before the game in much the way you'd expect a minor league team to do at such an event. They also played "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning Stretch, much to my chagrin.

But I have to say, this is the coolest giveaway I've ever gotten at a stadium. I have the President nodding, smiling, and giving me the thumbs up sitting right at my desk.

I have the President nodding, smiling, and giving me the thumbs up sitting right at my desk.

I was unaware you worked for GM.

Wow. Win.

Anyways, I think this is pretty cool... just a minor league team having a fun promotion. While I am typically people blindly accepting Barack Obama without any knowledge of his politics (like the tools at my school who wear Obama shirts for the 'image', when--I kid you not, I have asked them!-- they don't know who Joe Biden is) this seems like a fun way to appeal to what is obviously a majority in Brooklyn.

Archived