Super Bowl XLIII

Cujo

Wow...just read about 7 pages of posts, many that rightfully complained about officiating. There were many ticky-tack calls, but the most crucial error of all was the call that wasn't made.

First of all, I didn't have a horse in this race but was mildly rooting for the Steelers for reasons I won't bore you with here, and I agree with those who think Harrison should have been ejected for his thug play on Francisco. But on to the non-call.

I can't find a complete NFL Rule Book online to verify it, but my assumption is that - though it's most commonly called on kick returns - blocking in the back is a penalty on any type of return. If that's correct, how in the world did they not call the Steeler who blew up Tim Hightower from behind at the Cardinal 30-yard-line on Harrison's INT return? Now if it'd happened 20 yards behind the play or across the field, fine, let it go. But Hightower was the one remaining Cardinal with a real shot at Harrison and the guy just pushes him to the ground from behind. Isn't that a penalty? It would have offset the facemask call and ended the half.

While we're at it, the NFL rules also say it's illegal to 'help the runner', but you see it all the time (Big Ben's rushing near-TD as an example) and it's NEVER called. Anybody know the definition of helping the runner?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow...just read about 7 pages of posts, many that rightfully complained about officiating. There were many ticky-tack calls, but the most crucial error of all was the call that wasn't made.

First of all, I didn't have a horse in this race but was mildly rooting for the Steelers for reasons I won't bore you with here, and I agree with those who think Harrison should have been ejected for his thug play on Francisco. But on to the non-call.

I can't find a complete NFL Rule Book online to verify it, but my assumption is that - though it's most commonly called on kick returns - blocking in the back is a penalty on any type of return. If that's correct, how in the world did they not call the Steeler who blew up Tim Hightower from behind at the Cardinal 30-yard-line on Harrison's INT return? Now if it'd happened 20 yards behind the play or across the field, fine, let it go. But Hightower was the one remaining Cardinal with a real shot at Harrison and the guy just pushes him to the ground from behind. Isn't that a penalty? It would have offset the facemask call and ended the half.

While we're at it, the NFL rules also say it's illegal to 'help the runner', but you see it all the time (Big Ben's rushing TD as an example) and it's NEVER called. Anybody know the definition of helping the runner?

That's what I said. It's just the kind of thing that gets overlooked when the Steelers are playing. Really I'm amazed that the holding in the endzone safety was even called.

PvO6ZWJ.png

While we're at it, the NFL rules also say it's illegal to 'help the runner', but you see it all the time (Big Ben's rushing TD as an example) and it's NEVER called. Anybody know the definition of helping the runner?

IIRC the only (famous) time it has been invoked was an incident where William "Fridge" Perry literally threw Walter Payton into the endzone.

So that, at least, constitutes helping.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Man, itd be nice to get a Super Bowl win that isnt marred with controversy. Or for people to just let us have our moment before throwing away our win as a fluke or gift from the refs, or expressing their immense hate for the Steelers again. Any one of those.

oBIgzrL.png

Maz, don't worry about what people say or type...just enjoy the victory. Get off the computer and go party, man!

You ARE a Steeler!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hearing all of this controversy here on this board I seem to think that, all of a sudden, I don't look like some crazy psycho nutjob now when compared to three years ago when there were a ton of ticky tack calls against the Seahawks and nothing called on the Steelers.

But, none of us can really do anything about it. We can whine and complain and moan about it, but the result stands. Pittsburgh won and Arizona lost. Nothing we say now is going to change that.

Man, itd be nice to get a Super Bowl win that isnt marred with controversy. Or for people to just let us have our moment before throwing away our win as a fluke or gift from the refs, or expressing their immense hate for the Steelers again. Any one of those.

I don't really like the Steelers (Mike Tomlin, on the other hand, is awesome and I was happy as hell to see him get a Super Bowl win.) because of their Theodore Long Thuggin-n-Buggin style of football...but there were only a few shoddy calls, as opposed to XL when the entire game was shoddily officiated. I honestly think that people had these excuses ready to fire off had the Steelers won, because the game, IMO, wasn't THAT bad when it came to officiating. They won the game fair and square, the ending was exciting, and they won it out right. They took Arizona's best shot and won. They're the champs.

Hearing all of this controversy here on this board I seem to think that, all of a sudden, I don't look like some crazy psycho nutjob now when compared to three years ago when there were a ton of ticky tack calls against the Seahawks and nothing called on the Steelers.

But, none of us can really do anything about it. We can whine and complain and moan about it, but the result stands. Pittsburgh won and Arizona lost. Nothing we say now is going to change that.

Yeah, but you're still some crazy psycho nutjob.... you just have company :P

How about everyone who bitches about the officiating try to apply for an NFL officiating job?

I saw, I came, I left.

It's not my intent at all. I don't hate the Steelers, I like them and their coach. But when there are legitimate questions, they need to be asked. Was it or wasn't it a block in the back?

In fact, in my first post I said I wouldn't bore people with why I was for the Steelers, but for your benefit, it's because I thought they deserved to be there far more than Arizona. The Cardinals were embarrassed not once but several times during the season, including that performance in New England, which was a disgrace for any professional sports franchise. I would have had more respect for their organization if they'd just called the NFL and said, "Look, we're really not interested in playing in cold weather and we've already locked up our division so we're going to just stay home and forfeit." Sure, they pulled it together in the playoffs, but how can anybody respect a team that only plays when it wants to? They're Randy Moss in team form. They were amazing when they decided to play, and pathetic when they didn't. Plus, nobody can take away what Big Ben and that offense accomplished with their season on the line.

So with all said and done, despite the officiating and Harrison's dirty play and all the other blah blah, your team hoisted the trophy. Enjoy it. But I agree, it's a shame it wasn't just a good clean game with no questions left to be debated.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Actually, before last night, I didn't really care about the XL alleged unfairness, and was prepared to watch 2 teams who weren't "my" teams (the Rams). Yeah, I was pulling for the Cardinals, but I don't mind the Steelers either. But that was a completely horribly officiated game. I don't claim it was a fix, at least not on the Steelers' part. Probably not on the refs either, but they did do a crappy job. I don't blame the Steelers for the bad calls, only the refs. If they had simply reviewed the final play instead of just leaving the call, I would acknowledge the win untainted, though still questionable. But the fact that they just decided they weren't going to make sure the call that decided the game was indeed the correct call, is what makes this so controversial to me, especially when added to all the crappy calls during the rest of the game. But if they had at least done the review, I'd have no problem saying the outcome was right, though it was horribly officiated. Now, I don't know what to think of it.

Well....there's always Crosby

*ducks*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sorry. I didn't have that clause in my fan contract, or "fantract"....

... [silence]...*crickets* ...[/silence]

... nothing? Didn't figure there would be.

In that case, you should get rid of Bea Arthur as your avatar ...

I saw, I came, I left.

Ok. And that supposed to mean?

Im wasnt directing that to you. I was directing it to the people who want to immediately say that our win wasnt a win, but a gift, and that we dont deserve it and we stole it and the NFL is fake and it was a fix etc. etc. et freakin c., and like to just go ahead and say "Bah! I still hate you!".

I mean, come on. I hate the Flyers and Capitals more than any other teams on the earth, but if they won the Stanley Cup, id still give them their props.

oBIgzrL.png

Standards, McCall.... standards.... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Standards, McCall.... standards.... ^_^

It was simply a joke. I have standards... maybe not in other areas, but here I do. B)

I enjoyed the game thoroughly. Was that "fumble" at the end an incomplete pass? Probably. But then again, why couldn't the Cardinals do enough to make the final 5 seconds unnecessary? I will add though that I concur with the rest of the people that Harrison was probably gonna be the MVP until he starting laying down the smack for no good reason.

I tip my hats to the Cardinals and their fans for, at least for a good five minutes, making me one of the most depressed people on the planet. Of all the Steelers Super Bowls that they've won (which I've seen on DVD), this one was easily the most nerve-wracking. (sp?) In my opinion, the Cardinals are gonna be around for a while now.

Now I shall enjoy this thoroughly. And I've already updated my rather simple (and quite often imitated) sig image.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived