N-Y Times Article on Super Bowl Logos

B-Rich

My friend sent me the following link:

For XLIII Years, the Big Game as Art Form

Pretty good article on the evolution of the Super bowl logo. Interesting little tidbits-- I never got that the part that read "Super Bowl" in the XL logo was supposed to be an odometer (Detroit game)... Also good in that it provides the following view of all Super bowl logos to date:

28logos_gfx.jpg

I think the early logos in many cases were more just different fonts/typefaces for Super Bowl posters or pennants-- probably the only real merchandising that went on back then...

Also, don't miss the little multimedia sidebar of alternate logos for Super Bowl 43-- some odd and funny stuff.

It is what it is.

the times rules. my favorite paper. everybody should go buy a copy everyday.

anyhow, awesome article, it mentions how the XXVI logo was supposed to have the Lombardi trophy in it, but the league did not want the trophy in the logo, hence the zooming football.

I once saw a very nice unused logo for Super Bowl XXXIX in a logo book, but I haven't been able to come across that image again. I believe it was a blue and teal logo with a ship/boat of some sort on it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about/seen such a logo?

I once saw a very nice unused logo for Super Bowl XXXIX in a logo book, but I haven't been able to come across that image again. I believe it was a blue and teal logo with a ship/boat of some sort on it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about/seen such a logo?

Was this the one you had in mind?...

graphic_SBlogo.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

A couple of my favorites are 32 and 37. Those also happen to be the two Super Bowls that I've attended.

Here's the logo for 36 that was replaced:

NewOrleansSB.jpg

That is really strange. The game was originally supposed to be played on Jan 27, so why would the updated date have the old logo? Does anyone remember what month they released the new logo in?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A couple of my favorites are 32 and 37. Those also happen to be the two Super Bowls that I've attended.

Here's the logo for 36 that was replaced:

NewOrleansSB.jpg

That is really strange. The game was originally supposed to be played on Jan 27, so why would the updated date have the old logo? Does anyone remember what month they released the new logo in?

Maybe that was a company who had the old logo and put it on that application (whatever we are looking at in that pic.)

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Some of those 43 alternate designs are just awful. I know some are comical, but the fact that, Armin Vit and Pentagram, seemingly designing seriously if not with too much effort, could only come up with what they did. I think that's sad.

I agree. There was too much Helvetica or other sans serif fonts. Two very way Euro for the game and the American culture, but it was nice to see other interpretations.

Was this the one you had in mind?...

graphic_SBlogo.jpg

Nope, I may be going to the library tonight and I'll look and see if they have the book that I saw the logo in. If they have it, which I sorta doubt, I'll snap a picture of it with my phone and post it up.

EDIT: I just remembered the name of the book, it's called The Big Book of Logos 5. As I recall the book only had a select few sports logos, most of which were college, but it was full of other logos of companies, restaraunts, etc. I believe it even pictured the prototype logo with the rocket for Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Archived