ScottySprings' NCAA Football (08-09) Top 25 Countdown

scottysprings

glad to see this thread back and running!

I like the Bama concept

the Oklahoma one reminds me too much of Indiana with the double striped helmet. we dont want those teams looking the same again.

yeah, but its oklahoma. they shouldnt give a :censored: what Indiana's wearing.:)

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback everyone. As for some of the comments, I kinda like the idea of dropping the black pants from the TCU set. The purple over white looks better than purple over black definitely but I don't know why I didn't think of that first time around. For Oklahoma, I realized the similarity to Indiana with the helmet but I don't really think it's that drastically similar because of the white facemask. In addition I went with the northwestern striping instead of a double stripe like on the pants because 1) Oklahoma used the northwestern stripes back in the day, and 2), which leads me into my next concept, Oklahoma's biggest rivals to the south are using the double striped sleeves (a motif I've expanded upon). Which brings me to #4 Texas! Another team with considerable uniform tradition, I tried to keep the best (in my opinion) elements from their current unis and added in a modern touch to update the look a bit. My favorite aspect of Texas' uniforms has always been the all-white helmet; In particular, I find the "LONGHORNS" mark on the rear helmet bumper to be really neat. After a bit of looking at pictures, I'm pretty sure the font is Futura Bold (and that's what I've used in the concept), and in my opinion looks awesome and like a wordmark Texas would've been using in the 50's, so cool in my books. Where I applied this is in the "TEXAS" script located on the front of the jersey, which is currently occupied by a serif block font. I'm not sure if the smooth sans Futura clashes too much with the serif block used for the numbers but I personally think it looks nice. Second thing I did was add a bit of a modern striping to the pants. I took the striping from the sleeves of the jersey and pretty much slapped them onto the pants along with the Bevo head. That's really about all I did but I think the overall look is quite different. Let me know what you think, thanks guys!

Texas.png

Nice clean concepts. I can say all are a nice improvement. The silver Dawgs helmet was the only thing I'd say didn't totally work. Really nice work capturing the essence of each, then playfully refining it. Oregon, especially.

Ohio State should straight rip what you did, the striping consistency is very sexy. Texas's pants are also a nice addition. Big fan of the little white outline around the longhorn.

Nice work. Hope you keep this going, very fun to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

Down to the top three teams and here's #3 USC. To be honest the biggest thing that annoys me about USC's uniforms is the fact that they have white socks and black cleats with white laces and accents which for some reason looks terrible to me. I don't mind it for most other teams that do this but I just think it looks terrible with their uniforms. That said, USC players would be wearing black cleats with red accents in my concept. Starting from the top, first thing I did was change the facemask from gray to gold. I usually don't have a problem with gray facemasks but I just don't think it works for USC. Next up I got rid of the "SC" mark on the collar and added the "Trojans" script below. In addition on the white jersey I made the shoulder stripe primarily yellow with a thinner secondary red stripe just to get some gold in there. Moving down to the pants I used a more modern sharp looking stripe to mimic the shoulder striping. In addition, I added a pair of red pants to go with the white jersey because I think it looks a lot better than the gold on white. Lastly I added socks like in every other concept in the series :P That's about it, tell me what you think, thanks!

USC-1.png

Okay, down to the #2 Utah Utes. In my mind, the key to a good Utah uniform is having the ideal balance of red, white, and black, something their new uniforms almost nailed but could use a few tweaks (here's where I come in :P). First thing I did was make a little tweak to the helmet logo by adding a white outline, just looks better to me. Next I eliminated the black nose and rear bumpers which just look terrible. Moving down to the jerseys, I kept my favorite aspect of the new UA uniforms, the sleeve striping. All I really did was thicken it up and made them lower on the sleeve. In addition, I eliminated the contrasting black collar and replaced it with a standard v-neck design. Next thing I did was eliminate the rounded font used for the "UTAH" under the collar and numerals in favor of a custom block based off of the UTAH and U block. Lastly I got rid of everything else on the current jersey I haven't mentioned yet (piping, collar horns, etc.). For the pants I eliminated the red pair and just kept the white, mostly because the red on white looks better than monochrome red and white on white is what they beat Alabama in and also looks better than over the red pants. The striping design mimics the sleeve striping and has the helmet logo overlaid. That's it for this one, I already did Florida but I'm gonna wait a little while to post it and hopefully get some feedback on these last few designs. Thanks for looking.

Utah-1.png

• 1 month later...

Gah I can't believe no one gave feedback on these last few, I think did a really great job Scotty! I don't remember if I commented on the Texas Uniforms earlier but I absolutely love the pants, The USC concept is great too, I'm too sold on the pants stripe but its an upgrade of what they have now. Now to Utah, I think this is one of the best so far, you took a great uniform and fixed it everything that was wrong with it IMO. Great Job so far, I can't wait to see your Florida Concept.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Okay, down to the #2 Utah Utes. In my mind, the key to a good Utah uniform is having the ideal balance of red, white, and black, something their new uniforms almost nailed but could use a few tweaks (here's where I come in :P). First thing I did was make a little tweak to the helmet logo by adding a white outline, just looks better to me. Next I eliminated the black nose and rear bumpers which just look terrible. Moving down to the jerseys, I kept my favorite aspect of the new UA uniforms, the sleeve striping. All I really did was thicken it up and made them lower on the sleeve. In addition, I eliminated the contrasting black collar and replaced it with a standard v-neck design. Next thing I did was eliminate the rounded font used for the "UTAH" under the collar and numerals in favor of a custom block based off of the UTAH and U block. Lastly I got rid of everything else on the current jersey I haven't mentioned yet (piping, collar horns, etc.). For the pants I eliminated the red pair and just kept the white, mostly because the red on white looks better than monochrome red and white on white is what they beat Alabama in and also looks better than over the red pants. The striping design mimics the sleeve striping and has the helmet logo overlaid. That's it for this one, I already did Florida but I'm gonna wait a little while to post it and hopefully get some feedback on these last few designs. Thanks for looking.

Utah-1.png

In cases where the pants stripe is asymmetrical, I think it always looks better when the darker color is in the front. I think it would still be consistent with the jersey if this was the case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...

It's been longer than I planned but here's my concept for #1, the Florida Gators. I kept the best aspects of their current uniforms and built upon them, basically making it fit UF's graphic identity better. Updated "GATORS" mark on helmet and under collar, proprietary number font for the jerseys, and a few other modifications as to logo placement on the jersey and pants. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you like the concept!

Florida-1.png

With that, all top-25 teams have been completed :grin: Thanks for watching folks!

very good job with Florida! i love that you made subtle changes without getting rid of their look.

the script is 2009ish instead of 1980ish. ++

you took the gator patch of the jersey...and cleaned that area of the jersey up (its always cluttered with patches and stuff) ++

i wouldnt have done anything more to this. very very good series!

The first team (or last depending on how you look at it) I've done is the Brigham Young Cougars, who hold the #25 ranking. BYU happens to have one of the most classic uniforms in the NCAA. I made a few small changes including adding shoulder numbers, adding a "COUGARS" wordmark under the collar, and removing the MWC logo from the chest and the oval "Y" logo from the collar. I'm not really expecting much praise being I didn't really do that much, but I think I like the look better than what they have now.

BYU version 2: changed pants striping to match helmet.

BYU-1.png

I prefer the McMahon/Young royal blue to the darker blue. But these are well done. The lack of shadowed numbers is good too.

Packers-2.png

Okay, here are the#24 Michigan State Spartans. I also left this one pretty similar to their current set with a few small changes. The block "MICHIGAN STATE" on the current uniforms is too small and elongated so I took an idea from dp's Michigan State concept from a few months ago and put the "STATE" wordmark on the chest. It definitely adds a bit more character to the uniforms. I also made the collar and cuffs on the white jersey green for a bit of contrast.

Michigan-State.png

(1) Needs green pants with white jersey.

(2) I'm not sure that "State" goes with the white jersey. Probably needs "Michigan State" or "MSU" or something.

Packers-2.png

Thanks for the comments on WVU, I changed the helmet logo and agree it looks a lot better.

Next up is #22, the Georgia Institute of Technology Yellow Jackets. I like their current uniforms but I definitely preferred what they were wearing when Calvin Johnson was playing there. I used the throwback white helmet as opposed to the mustard one they're using now as well as a very similar template to what they used a few years ago. Drawing from their current set I kept the wordmark under the collar. I also really like the white pants that they're usingl so I kept the monochrome white set going here. Not much else to say but I think it's a good look for them. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks, especially Lindsay :P Hit me up!

GT-1.png

Not a fan. Gold jerseys are a bad idea. White helmets are not preferable to gold if gold is one of your colors. I'd go with:

MAIN: White jerseys, gold pants.

ALT: Navy blue jerseys, gold pants.

Packers-2.png

It's been longer than I planned but here's my concept for #1, the Florida Gators. I kept the best aspects of their current uniforms and built upon them, basically making it fit UF's graphic identity better. Updated "GATORS" mark on helmet and under collar, proprietary number font for the jerseys, and a few other modifications as to logo placement on the jersey and pants. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you like the concept!

Florida-1.png

With that, all top-25 teams have been completed :grin: Thanks for watching folks!

I would add an orange jersey and pant option to this set.

Packers-2.png

Utah-1.png

You should not have eliminated the red pants. But at least there are no black options.

Packers-2.png

Down to the top three teams and here's #3 USC. To be honest the biggest thing that annoys me about USC's uniforms is the fact that they have white socks and black cleats with white laces and accents which for some reason looks terrible to me. I don't mind it for most other teams that do this but I just think it looks terrible with their uniforms. That said, USC players would be wearing black cleats with red accents in my concept. Starting from the top, first thing I did was change the facemask from gray to gold. I usually don't have a problem with gray facemasks but I just don't think it works for USC. Next up I got rid of the "SC" mark on the collar and added the "Trojans" script below. In addition on the white jersey I made the shoulder stripe primarily yellow with a thinner secondary red stripe just to get some gold in there. Moving down to the pants I used a more modern sharp looking stripe to mimic the shoulder striping. In addition, I added a pair of red pants to go with the white jersey because I think it looks a lot better than the gold on white. Lastly I added socks like in every other concept in the series :P That's about it, tell me what you think, thanks!

USC-1.png

No gray facemask: Good. Gold facemask: Not as good as, uh, red (whatever they call it). The rest is well done.

Packers-2.png

Thanks for the feedback everyone. As for some of the comments, I kinda like the idea of dropping the black pants from the TCU set. The purple over white looks better than purple over black definitely but I don't know why I didn't think of that first time around. For Oklahoma, I realized the similarity to Indiana with the helmet but I don't really think it's that drastically similar because of the white facemask. In addition I went with the northwestern striping instead of a double stripe like on the pants because 1) Oklahoma used the northwestern stripes back in the day, and 2), which leads me into my next concept, Oklahoma's biggest rivals to the south are using the double striped sleeves (a motif I've expanded upon). Which brings me to #4 Texas! Another team with considerable uniform tradition, I tried to keep the best (in my opinion) elements from their current unis and added in a modern touch to update the look a bit. My favorite aspect of Texas' uniforms has always been the all-white helmet; In particular, I find the "LONGHORNS" mark on the rear helmet bumper to be really neat. After a bit of looking at pictures, I'm pretty sure the font is Futura Bold (and that's what I've used in the concept), and in my opinion looks awesome and like a wordmark Texas would've been using in the 50's, so cool in my books. Where I applied this is in the "TEXAS" script located on the front of the jersey, which is currently occupied by a serif block font. I'm not sure if the smooth sans Futura clashes too much with the serif block used for the numbers but I personally think it looks nice. Second thing I did was add a bit of a modern striping to the pants. I took the striping from the sleeves of the jersey and pretty much slapped them onto the pants along with the Bevo head. That's really about all I did but I think the overall look is quite different. Let me know what you think, thanks guys!

Texas.png

I like the horns on the pants. This is one of the very few all-white looks I can tolerate. However, numbers need to be on the helmets somewhere.

Packers-2.png

Okay, here are a few tweaks to Oregon. I darkened the secondary green, made the number font thinner, and flipped the colors of the green jersey's numbers. Thanks to all for the C&C.

Oregon-2.png

Not sure the yellow numbers would be very legible on white. And I don't like the gold jersey/white pants look on principle.

Having said that, these are so superior to the mishmash they have now that mere words cannot quantify how much that is the case.

Packers-2.png

Archived