Utah Jazz' patch in honour of owner Larry H. Miller

MVP

I would've just done the basketball note in black.
when I see that symbol I believe that it rightly belongs in New Orleans, LA from whence it came.

Hardly anyone remembers the New Orleans Jazz because they failed. The Utah Jazz, however, have been a success. Let it go.

NEVAH!!!! I am from the south we are still fighting the war of northern agression...lol.....I just remember going to jazz games when thye were here as a kis and growing up watching Malne and Stockton wonderng what the heck happened

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just remember going to jazz games when thye were here as a kis and growing up watching Malne and Stockton wonderng what the heck happened

I highly doubt you remember going to New Orleans Jazz games if that is the correct date of birth on your profile.

I just remember going to jazz games when thye were here as a kis and growing up watching Malne and Stockton wonderng what the heck happened

I highly doubt you remember going to New Orleans Jazz games if that is the correct date of birth on your profile.

He was around 5-6 years old before they moved, so he MAY have seen them during their final season in NO.

bSLCtu2.png

He was around 5-6 years old before they moved, so he MAY have seen them during their final season in NO.

The Jazz moved in 1979. Not that it really matters, but he would have been 3 when they moved.

LHM_logo01.jpg

The purple patch with green and gold trim is in the shape of the Jazz music note logo (a ?J? in the shape of an eighth note) and inscribed with Miller?s initials, ?LHM,? in white block letters. The music note logo is representative of the team?s logo, colors and jerseys which were worn at the time Miller originally purchased a 50% stake in the team on April 11, 1985, and the remaining 50% on June 24, 1986. The Jazz wore the music note jerseys until the 1996-97 season.

Well, I do remember going to several....vaguely of course..do I have to remember box scores? How is that relative to the discussion, douche?..oh well prhaps I've hijacked a noble thread....I'm out

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

"another cities sovereign colors"?

:censored: I'm wearing green today. I guess Cavalier has a right to issue a fatwa against me.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The colours, logos, and history of the New Orleans Jazz belongs to the Utah Jazz. They have every right to call back to their former identity whenever they see fit.

You guys have the Hornets now. Let it go.

I think its funny when NOLAers complain the the Jazz stole their colors and ran, but when they got their team back and had a chance to rebrand the hornets with new colors they never did. Granted they tweaked the teal and added gold so it sort've worked itself into Mardi Gras colors, but if they really cared they could have done it right away and changed the team name and everything.

As for the patch, I like it only because I like the old Jazz logo --- but I think its more JAZZ and less Larry Miller. you can barly see the innitials.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I think its funny when NOLAers complain the the Jazz stole their colors and ran, but when they got their team back and had a chance to rebrand the hornets with new colors they never did. Granted they tweaked the teal and added gold so it sort've worked itself into Mardi Gras colors, but if they really cared they could have done it right away and changed the team name and everything.

I love how you phrased this to make it sound as if it's the fans who want the name "Hornets". There are many, MANY, who would change it if they could.

However, we don't own the team so that kind of ends the discussion.

NewOrleansSaints.pngLSUTigers.png

I love how you phrased this to make it sound as if it's the fans who want the name "Hornets". There are many, MANY, who would change it if they could.

However, we don't own the team so that kind of ends the discussion.

What I meant was stop complaining about the Jazz and start complaining about the Hornets. For 15 years the Jazz honored their history and complimented New Orleans by keeping the colors, and for 25+ years they've kept the name.... whereas the Hornets moved to the city and stayed there and yetdidn't rebrand themselves with a city appropriate name and color scheme. In fact, their new uniforms are much closer to their Charlotte unis then anything they've worn since moving the New Orleans. So instead of ripping on the Jazz using a NOLA identity, you guys should be peaved at the Hornets for not doing that.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

What I meant was stop complaining about the Jazz and start complaining about the Hornets. For 15 years the Jazz honored their history and complimented New Orleans by keeping the colors

Well, that's an extremely charitable interpretation of the team's actions.

whereas the Hornets moved to the city and stayed there and yetdidn't rebrand themselves with a city appropriate name and color scheme. In fact, their new uniforms are much closer to their Charlotte unis then anything they've worn since moving the New Orleans. So instead of ripping on the Jazz using a NOLA identity, you guys should be peaved at the Hornets for not doing that.

I don't think you read the posts above - apparently there is a sizeable faction that is peeved at the Hornets for not doing that. So your point is moot.

I am of the opinion that it would have been nice to see the Jazz name and colors left behind for a future team in New Orleans. Of course, they weren't, and the Jazz have done pretty well for themselves in Utah. It is a nice patch to honor the guy who basically saved the team for Salt Lake City.

What I don't get, is the idea that the New Orleans Jazz were a total failure. They were in the city for five seasons, and did pretty much what MOST expansion teams do. They were poor to mediocre in a short time span. Given time, they likely would have succeeded in NOLA. Consider that once in Utah, it took the team another five seasons just to make the playoffs...............

Jazz at 35: Team finds a palace but struggles to build a kingdom in Salt Lake City

Era 2: Name game

Nobody has ever thought the nickname Jazz ever fit Utah, and the fact that the team did not change it when it moved to Salt Lake City - despite sponsoring a contest to pick a new nickname and team colors - helped fuel speculation that the team did not expect to stay long. Owner Sam Battistone once explained that he wanted to keep the name to one day remind critics in New Orleans that he could find success elsewhere with the same club, but there was another reason, too. The struggling Jazz simply did not have enough money to buy the new uniforms that a name change would have required.

Archived