New Duke unis...sigh.

Camden Crazy

Coming from a Duke fan, I love them, but I dont like how it is just on the back of the jersey, it looks strange right now how the pattern stops at the wasteband on the players now, but they must be working because Duke is winning right now :P

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will these be permanent or are they for a special occasion? I can't believe that a school that is as traditional as Duke would use these for primaries. However, I like them. I just don't know if they're a good fit for Duke.

I don't know if Duke was first, but in 1996, they wore black alternates for the first time. You want to talk tradition? Duke might have actually started the black alternate craze.

We did start this ever expanding craze. It didn't bother me until we added black to our home and road unis. The black unis were allegedly in the works as far back as late 1994 to be introduced the next year, but due to the disaster of the 1994-95 season, they did not debut until the first game of 1996-1997.

Will these be permanent or are they for a special occasion? I can't believe that a school that is as traditional as Duke would use these for primaries. However, I like them. I just don't know if they're a good fit for Duke.

I don't know if Duke was first, but in 1996, they wore black alternates for the first time. You want to talk tradition? Duke might have actually started the black alternate craze.

We did start this ever expanding craze. It didn't bother me until we added black to our home and road unis. The black unis were allegedly in the works as far back as late 1994 to be introduced the next year, but due to the disaster of the 1994-95 season, they did not debut until the first game of 1996-1997.

The press release on this:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...;ATCLID=3676228

Wow. I think those look pretty good, even coming from a UNC fan. :P

By the way what is that design there supposed to be?

Gothic architecture

Not is it just a print of Gothic architecture, but the print/design on the jerseys is specific to the Duke Chapel, the most dominant building on the campus in terms of size.

Personally, I think it's a great idea, especially having seen the chapel in person.

duke_chapel_FULL.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

82b641c5-6c34-4e80-8590-2487f3c8950f.jpg

75762a00-fa28-41ab-b74d-221c544667e6.jpg

Just ends up looking dirty grey. The pattern's cool, but I don't like it on the whites anyways. Did it look like that on the USA whites?

340x.jpg

You really don't notice over the course of the game. They'd show a close up of a Duke player and see it and I'd almost go "Oh, yeah! They're wearing special uniforms!". They should've worn matching shorts.

Unlike some, I don't really see Duke as being too traditional to wear these -- maybe if they still wore the beauties that Elton Brand wore in his time at Duke I would, but their uniforms as they are don't really say classic to me.

IUe6Hvh.png

82b641c5-6c34-4e80-8590-2487f3c8950f.jpg

75762a00-fa28-41ab-b74d-221c544667e6.jpg

Just ends up looking dirty grey. The pattern's cool, but I don't like it on the whites anyways. Did it look like that on the USA whites?

340x.jpg

You really don't notice over the course of the game. They'd show a close up of a Duke player and see it and I'd almost go "Oh, yeah! They're wearing special uniforms!". They should've worn matching shorts.

Unlike some, I don't really see Duke as being too traditional to wear these -- maybe if they still wore the beauties that Elton Brand wore in his time at Duke I would, but their uniforms as they are don't really say classic to me.

As with most new uniforms, these new Duke unis are bad. But they're meant to appeal to the members of the apparel-buying crowd who aren't Duke students or alumni, never will be Duke students or alumni, and probably aren't even Duke fans. This isn't about looking good on the court. I blame Duke for selling out, just as they did with black uniforms and black trim when their school colors are blue and white.

As with most new uniforms, these new Duke unis are bad. But they're meant to appeal to the members of the apparel-buying crowd who aren't Duke students or alumni, never will be Duke students or alumni, and probably aren't even Duke fans. This isn't about looking good on the court. I blame Duke for selling out, just as they did with black uniforms and black trim when their school colors are blue and white.

Of course, non-Duke alumni and students caring about an expensive private school they have no hopes of getting into have done pretty well for the school's athletics. People buying Duke merchandise means Duke can continue to build resources to put into their basketball program.

Most schools would kill for the national profile Duke has.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What's the point?

To move product.

100%. It doesnt matter a bit what they look like on the court. They are purely to sell gear. Nothing else matters in a move like this one. The Cleveland Cavaliers "blue" UCLA-like fan jersey from this year immeadiately comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

this design is similar to nike's olympic uniforms for various countries in different sports in beijing 2008. each design represents something important for each country. in this case its duke's gothic architecture. i like the idea, nike should've done this for the rest of teams under nike.

Being a lifetime Duke fan I don't mind them using the gothic elements, but they need to get rid of the black on the home and away jerseys. Bring back the more classic looking jerseys, and if they really wanted to--use the black jersey, just not against Carolina. Maybe they could go with the black versus Maryland's Bias-era yellow?

I hate dook, but they used to have some of the best uniforms in basketball. Blue and white - no need for black, period. End of story. Syonaria. Auf Weedersehen.

Are they too pretentious for you?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived