Penn State Plays It Safe

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am familiar with their uniforms, but I was wondering what makes Penn State special in ways that other flagship state universities are not. Is it unthinkable that they'll update their football uniforms when they're no longer coached by the walking dead?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like it. Better than some italicized ACTION FONT.

Penn State is above that noise.

and the 1996 logo looked like a housecat.

At least it didn't resemble a chipmunk.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

As a lifelong Texas fan, I'm a huge fan of simple and tradition, but this is too much (or, actually, too little). Simple and boring for the sake of simple and boring is not creative design in the least.

Simple and boring for the sake of simple and boring is not creative design in the least.

I certainly agree with that.

IMAGINARY SALES PITCH --

"I've taken an existing logo and placed it next to a font I found with my pre-loaded word processing program. I then reduced the size of the phrase 'Nittany Lions.' Here's my bill."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I am not sure I agree with the everyone talking about their uniforms are understated. Their FOOTBALL ones are understated, but their other ones are just normal run of the mill like everyone else. And Helvetica isn't understated, it is plain. Understated can be achieved with a little more effort and it would have felt like they owned it.

01-24-07dsports-05b.jpg

terps06.jpg

mjacober1_medium.png

I wouldn't call Helvetica plain; that's not fair to its designer or the people who make great, lively work using it. I think Helvetica can have a good bit of character in the right hands, but its been misused by the treatment (or lack thereof) in this case.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

From their website...

psu08mastleft.gif

Does it look to anybody else like they squished the lion head logo slightly?

It does look like it's been changed.

What's interesting is Penn State's graphic art sheet (as of January 10, 2008) lists the Helvetica PENN STATE wordmark as a primary mark.

28897652.png

I thought the Penn State "Paw" was supposed to have 5 toes.

EDIT: Never mind, I see it's a bone of contention among fans.

Wow didn't know that Penn State had a paw logo in their identity.

Anyway, this sucks. I love that stylized wordmark, it goes perfectly with the "Chipmunk." Could they at least made it "Penn State" instead of "PENN STATE" so they could the more interesting letterforms?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

From their website...

psu08mastleft.gif

Does it look to anybody else like they squished the lion head logo slightly?

It does look like it's been changed.

What's interesting is Penn State's graphic art sheet (as of January 10, 2008) lists the Helvetica PENN STATE wordmark as a primary mark.

28897652.png

I actually find it interesting that they have the Schutt DNA helmet as part of their style guide. It makes sense, but I have only seen that with AFL teams. For whatever reason teams still clutch to the Riddell helmet from the 80's with the facemask that nobody ever liked. I am surprised more teams don't have helmets from this century, so it is an interesting uni-nerdy thing.

Very, very boring. It's one thing to be simplistic and minimalistic while still having a unique identity, another to be generic and lazy. Doesn't look like PSU figured out the difference yet.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I will give Penn State credit for one thing -- that new paw logo is pretty clever. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but the "heel" section of the new paw is made out of the chipmunk oval with the face removed. They just kept the swoosh to the left that represents the back of the chipmunk's neck in the primary logo.

It wouldn't take much to improve on the ridiculous five-toed paw logo. However, they did a good job tying the new one in with the overall identity package.

Also, did anyone notice on the logo sheet that Penn State is asserting a common law trademark in the name/phrase "Linebacker U"? Interesting.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived