Mr. Team

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd go with Joe Carter for Mr. Blue Jay.

I will third that! Every time the WS comes around that image and video is shown. I was a pseudo Jays Fan those years 'cause Paul Molitor played for them, in fact he contributed to that memorable scene in baseball history. I got to experience that feeling when Braun hit that go ahead homer in the final game last year. I can only imagine what real Jays fans felt at that moment!

packchampionslfroh.png

My Votes

Mr. Oakland Atheltic: Rickey Henderson (an Oakland Native) Mr. Athletic Jimmie Foxx

Mr. Angel: Tim Salmon

Mr. Astro: Jeff Bagwell

Mr. Blue Jay: Joe Carter

Mr. Brave: Hank Aaron

Mr. Brewer: Robin Yount

Mr. Brown: George Sisler

Mr. Cardinal: Stan Musial

Mr. Cub: Ernie Banks

Mr. Diamondback: Randy Johnson

Mr. LA Dodger: Sandy Koufax Mr. Dodger Jackie Robinson

Mr. Expo: Gary Carter

Mr. SF Giant: Barry Bonds Mr. Giant Willie Mays

Mr. Indian: Bob Feller

Mr. Mariner: Ken Griffey Jr.

Mr. Marlin: Jeff Conine

Mr. Met: Tom Seaver

Mr. National: Ryan Zimmerman

Mr. Oriole: Cal Ripken Jr.

Mr. Padre: Tony Gwynn

Mr. Phillie: Mike Schmidt

Mr. Pilot: Jim Bouton

Mr. Pirate: Roberto Clemente

Mr. Ranger: Nolan Ryan

Mr. Ray: Carl Crawford

Mr. Red: Pete Rose

Mr. Red Sock: Ted Williams

Mr. Rockie: Larry Walker

Mr. Royal: George Brett

Mr. Senator (1901-1960): Walter Johnson

Mr. Senator (1961-1971): Frank Howard

Mr. Tiger: Al Kaline

Mr. Twin: Harmon Killebrew

Mr. White Sock: Sholess Joe Jackson

Mr. Yankee: Babe Ruth

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

How about Andre Dawson for Mr. Expo? I don't understand how he is not in the HOF.

He's borderline. That means he's probably good enough in 10 years. He's just not good enough right now. Stats are like wine I guess, they get better with age.

Borderline? Maybe, but has HOF numbers. Compared with Jim Rice, who finally got in this year. Same type of player, same era. Yes I know Dawson hung around way too long and was an unproductive player his last few years.get in Rice had to wait too long to get in so maybe there is hope down the road.

Back on topic, Dawson is the player who stands out when thinking of the face of the club.

I've seen three or four cracks at it, but Tank's the only one that's got Mr. Tiger correct so far. It's Kaline, no question about it. He never played a day in the minors, and spent his entire 22 year Hall of Fame career with the Old English "D" on his cap. He did it with grace and dignity too, which is why he wins out over Cobb.

And as far as the Nolan Ryan debate...could be just my age, but I think of him more as a Ranger. But is it possible that Rafael Palmeiro beats him out as Mr. Ranger, anyway?

This will probably be considered blasphemy, but despite all he did for the franchise, and the excitement around his return, I would not vote Ken Griffey Jr. for Mr. Mariner. The way he orchestrated his departure still leaves a sour taste in many people's mouths, so I would actually say Edgar Martinez is a better candidate for Mr. Mariner. He played for no other team, was loved and respected throughout Seattle and the baseball community, won several awards for community service, and played pretty good baseball too boot...

I guess it depends on the criteria being used though...

The Reds already have a Mr. Red

mr_redlegs_ref.jpg

For players in my lifetime Barry Larkin is Mr. Red. I never saw Pete Rose play, but I can easily see how he would represent the Franchise, although he did play for 2 other teams.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Roberto Clemente has to be Mr. Pirate. He has transcended mere sports celebrity status and is revered as a hero throughout much of the western world. At PNC Park Clemente merchandise probably outsells the merchandise of most current players (yes I know, not saying much).

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Todd Helton is Mr. Rockie, period.

I competely agree! The only other person you could even try to make a case for is Larry Walker. But Helton is still far and above Larry. Everyone in the state of Colorado loves Helton, he has provided the Rockies with much succes over his career and almost always puts the team before himself.

jNTsTyQ.png

I competely agree! The only other person you could even try to make a case for is Larry Walker. But Helton is still far and above Larry. Everyone in the state of Colorado loves Helton, he has provided the Rockies with much succes over his career and almost always puts the team before himself.

i'll take the advice of my Colorado native and Rockies fan wife, it is Todd Helton. he is a consummate professional and always plays hard for owners that dont seem to give two :censored:s whether that team wins or loses.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

i'll take the advice of my Colorado native and Rockies fan wife, it is Todd Helton. he is a consummate professional and always plays hard for owners that dont seem to give two :censored:s whether that team wins or loses.

That is true. The Rockies ownership is one of the worst in baseball. They couldn't care less about the team. That's the main reason why Larry Walker left for St. Louis. But Helton still plays harder than ever for them, dispite the fact that the owners have shopped him around countless times. Todd is a class act and a very selfless baseball player. One of the very few.

jNTsTyQ.png

That is true. The Rockies ownership is one of the worst in baseball. They couldn't care less about the team. That's the main reason why Larry Walker left for St. Louis. But Helton still plays harder than ever for them, dispite the fact that the owners have shopped him around countless times. Todd is a class act and a very selfless baseball player. One of the very few.

Jay Cutler he is not!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I was surprised that Henderson's name was only mentioned once as Mr. Athletic. When I think of the A's, I think of him. The Tigers would be hard to pick. Cobb and Kaline were both wonderful players. But Cobb was head and shoulders above Kaline in everything. Yes Cobb was not a great person, but he was probably the greatest player that ever lived.

As far as putting Trammell in that debate, I am sure he is one of the most popular Tigers of all time. But his play on the field did not match his popularity. I put him in the same category as Dale Murphy. If there was a section in the Hall of Fame for wonderful people that played the game right and showed flashes of brilliance, all the while being the most popular with the fans, I'm sure those two would take the first two spots. Unfortunately, baseball doesn't include such things which is why neither man will ever make it into the Hall.

With the Pirates, I'm going to go with Stargell. I just don't know of another player that was so looked up to by his teammates as he was. He also had the Hall of Fame numbers to back up the claim as Mr. Pirate.

Mr. Pilot: Jim Bouton

I was gonna suggest Bouton for Mr Pilot, but then it occurred to me that he was traded half way through the year! Also does a relief pitcher really get Mr.... award for ANY team?

But in the end I have to agree that Clemente is probably the right pick for Mr Pirate. As iconic as the 'We are famileeee' team is, Clemente kept the Pirates alive in the 60s, and led the 1971 Series Champs. Also about as cool a ball player as there has ever been.

As for Ty Cobb, he gets Mr Tiger for me simply because look at the periods of success for the Detroit Tigers. Though Cobb didn't win a world series, his period with the Tigers is there most consistent period of success. Though I can appreciate the calls for Hank Greenberg and Al Kaline. (Grewenberg would be an interesting pick as the first Jewish Baseball star, just as Willie Mays and Jackie Robionson get credit for being leaders of colored ball players)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'll only do the current NL teams, because they're who I really know best. I'd be taking too many shots in the dark with the AL.

Mr. Diamondback: Luis Gonzalez

Mr. Brave: Hank Aaron (Mr. Atlanta Brave: Chipper Jones)

Mr. Cub: Ernie Banks

Mr. Red: Pete Rose

Mr. Rockie: Todd Helton

Mr. Marlin: Jeff Conine

Mr. Astro: Craig Biggio

Mr. Dodger: Jackie Robinson (Mr. Los Angeles Dodger: Tommy Lasorda)

Mr. Brewer: Robin Yount

Mr. Met: Tom Seaver

Mr. Phillie: Mike Schmidt

Mr. Padre: Tony Gwynn

Mr. Giant: Willie Mays

Mr. Cardinal: Stan Musial

Mr. National: Ryan Zimmerman

Archived