The Trifecta Competition

JayJaxon

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Normally I'd agree Chuck, but with only 3 submissions so far, it's looking pretty grim and we'll take all the submissions we can get.

I'm not saying his work shouldn't be posted, I just think that if he were to beat someone who was ready on time and followed all the ground rules, that would be sort of unfair.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Normally I'd agree Chuck, but with only 3 submissions so far, it's looking pretty grim and we'll take all the submissions we can get.

I'm not saying his work shouldn't be posted, I just think that if he were to beat someone who was ready on time and followed all the ground rules, that would be sort of unfair.

What you're saying is, then, that it should be posted, but not considered in awarding spots for the next round. How is that different?

The deadline was May 30th - I did not see a specific time posted, but assumed midnight. I really don't want to argue about 14 minutes (I posted here a couple of minutes after I sent my e-mail, so if we're being picky, 11 minutes), but I could argue that for all I knew, the deadline was midnight Pacific, in order to accommodate West Coast members. I have participated in contests before where that is standard procedure.

If it matters to the judges, the only part of my entry that might have changed during those 11 minutes was my write-up, which I edited. Beyond that, I was simply enjoying the lightning speed of a 10-year old computer.

Jay, Chestnutz - this competition is your thing... if you feel that I violated the rules, so be it; I'll abide by your decision.

What you're saying is, then, that it should be posted, but not considered in awarding spots for the next round. How is that different?

The deadline was May 30th - I did not see a specific time posted, but assumed midnight. I really don't want to argue about 14 minutes (I posted here a couple of minutes after I sent my e-mail, so if we're being picky, 11 minutes), but I could argue that for all I knew, the deadline was midnight Pacific, in order to accommodate West Coast members. I have participated in contests before where that is standard procedure.

If it matters to the judges, the only part of my entry that might have changed during those 11 minutes was my write-up, which I edited. Beyond that, I was simply enjoying the lightning speed of a 10-year old computer.

Jay, Chestnutz - this competition is your thing... if you feel that I violated the rules, so be it; I'll abide by your decision.

Sorry, I didn't realize how close it was.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

raysox presents the Tampa Tide

I never do basketball concepts so this was a dificult one. I looked at NBA logos for inspiration, and worked them into my concept.

The team is the Tampa Tide, because Tampa is on the water, and water has tides. I used a beach-y colour combo, with navy, light blue, sand, and orange.

The jerseys are pretty simple. I made a sand alternate for sunday home games. I also but the players names under the numbers, like how the allstar jerseys are.

I made a court, just for the hell of it also.

Tampa Tide logos

Tampa Tide uniforms

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

chickenfish13 presents the Baltimore Torchers

Baltimore Torchers: OK, the name is a bit odd, but different. Everyone said to do something about the sea, but I went in a different direction. The city is nicknamed Mob City, and that got me thinking. I ended up with the name torchers, because the main choice of weapon in the primary is a torch. The colors are burnt orange, light orange, and black, because orange is the color of the flame, and black signifies night.

Logos: OK, the primary is a circle. A basketball is in the background, and an angry looking mobster with a torch in the foreground. The silhouette of other mobsters torchers are in the background, in front of the basketball. The secondary is just a simple torch with another outline. I think this is the most creative logo I have done, and I enjoyed it.

Jerseys: I have said it everytime, but I am not an expert with jerseys. I just tried to come up with something that looked good. There is a home, away, and alternate. The alternate has a somewhat vintage look.

Baltimore Torchers logos

Baltimore Torchers uniforms

spacer.png

philroy presents the Buffalo Blizzard

Logos: The primary logo was probably the most challenging part of the entire project. I had the snowflake idea for the secondary, but ran into a bit of a wall with this one. I knew right off the bat that I wanted something that would illustrate the team name, rather than ?Buffalo?. I eventually settled on trying to create the flying snowball equivalent of the Miami Heat fireball logo. The overall horn shape is intentional ? as an attempt to incorporate an element of the buffalo, while keeping it in the background. As well, the jagged lines within the logo are meant to reflect the jagged lines in the city flag.

The secondary logo is pretty straightforward. My favourite NBA logos are the simple logos that are easily identifiable with the team? the Celtics? clover, the Fleur-de-bee? I was trying to create something in that vein.

The wordmark is a custom font, comprised of two different fonts, both of which were modified.

Colours: Initially, I was testing various blue and gray colour schemes ? an obvious choice for a winter-themed team. The ?Nickel? colour is a combination of Buccaneers? Pewter and basic 150 RGB gray. The lighter gray is that same mix, but lightened. The teal colour allowed me to keep things cold, while avoiding all of the blues currently being used in the NBA. The teal is in the neighbourhood of the current San Jose Sharks teal, but is a bit darker, and has a bit more blue in it.

Uniforms: There?s not much to say about the uniforms. The plan was to try to create some consistency with the primary logo, thus the jagged curved striping pattern. The secondary logo is on both the back of the jersey and the shorts. The scripts were adapted from the wordmark; the name font is one the standard NBA name fonts (thanks to eriqjaffe for his font set); and the number font is custom ? it?s one of the same fonts as the wordmark, similarly modified.

--------

The template I used was from the Logos section on the main site ? I traced one of the jersey graphics posted there, and used that as my template. I?m not sure whose template that is, but thank you to whoever you are.

This is my second attempt at a full concept from scratch, and my first NBA concept. Any C&C would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Buffalo Blizzard logos

Buffalo Blizzard home uniform

Buffalo Blizzard away uniform

Buffalo Blizzard alternate uniform

spacer.png

Wow, Philroy.

That set looks fantastic!

Agreed. Philroy gets my vote (although it doesn't count). Great job everybody, but Philroy by far is my favorite.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

That's my fault Chestnutz.....he sent it to me.

Throwback Presents the Pittsburgh Iron

The colours recall the other three Pittsburgh franchises, the name comes from the old Pittsburgh Ironmen (sexed up to become simply Iron), the shorts are supposed to symbol the characteristic shape of downtown Pittsburgh, the "ball" logo is the skyline and a basketball, the Wordmark et Primary are in a typeface that reminds one of iron, And thats about all.

Pittsburgh Iron

Archived