NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, we're not doing that. That's for "your" fans and "your" league administration to figure out. I'm not fixing :censored:. The NHL could shrivel up and die as far as I care. I really couldn't give half a :censored:. "You" don't want me marketing "your" league. Trust me.

Besides, if I happened to be smart and talented enough to fix the NHL's issues, I sure wouldn't be wasting my time fixing the NHL's issues.

And I take heat for my postings about how not liking the wings is getting old! :P

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Oh, we're not doing that. That's for "your" fans and "your" league administration to figure out. I'm not fixing :censored:. The NHL could shrivel up and die as far as I care. I really couldn't give half a :censored:. "You" don't want me marketing "your" league. Trust me.

Besides, if I happened to be smart and talented enough to fix the NHL's issues, I sure wouldn't be wasting my time fixing the NHL's issues.

You do come across as somewhat hypocritical when you say "I'm not anti-hockey" and then say "the NHL sucks."

'Cause JMO and stuff, but the NHL is much more exciting then, say, the NBA. Last time I cared about that league as a whole the Bulls and Jazz were in the NBA Finals.

You say that the NHL on a whole isn't exciting as if it's a fact. I'm sorry, but how is that anything more then your opinion? IMO the NHL's product is fine, it just needs to be promoted. I'm not saying that it could be bigger then baseball or football in the States, but it can pull much better numbers then it has if promoted right on a more wide-spread network.

See what I'm getting at? It's all just you're opinion. Just like us puckheads finding the NHL exciting is only our opinion. It would seem you've crossed the line from "simply combating this puckhead entitlement mentality" to using that as an excuse to bash pro hockey in general.

Now before you get up in arms over that let me just say that this is simply the image you seem to be giving out. If this isn't the case, then maybe you should try to clarify your point exactly. 'Cause telling hockey fans "I'm right the NHL sucks and it isn't worth someone's time to fix" isn't the best way to present yourself as someone who's not anti-hockey on the whole.

And JMO, but you can't play that game after you've engaged in discussion. That game being "the NHL needs to be fixed" and then say "I'm not going to elaborate on that." Sorry. You brought it up. Now explain. If the NHL is broken, how would you, in your humble opinion, suggest to make it more marketable to the American sports fan?

You do come across as somewhat hypocritical when you say "I'm not anti-hockey" and then say "the NHL sucks."

'Cause JMO and stuff, but the NHL is much more exciting then, say, the NBA. Last time I cared about that league as a whole the Bulls and Jazz were in the NBA Finals.

You say that the NHL on a whole isn't exciting as if it's a fact. I'm sorry, but how is that anything more then your opinion? IMO the NHL's product is fine, it just needs to be promoted. I'm not saying that it could be bigger then baseball or football in the States, but it can pull much better numbers then it has if promoted right on a more wide-spread network.

See what I'm getting at? It's all just you're opinion. Just like us puckheads finding the NHL exciting is only our opinion. It would seem you've crossed the line from "simply combating this puckhead entitlement mentality" to using that as an excuse to bash pro hockey in general.

Now before you get up in arms over that let me just say that this is simply the image you seem to be giving out. If this isn't the case, then maybe you should try to clarify your point exactly. 'Cause telling hockey fans "I'm right the NHL sucks and it isn't worth someone's time to fix" isn't the best way to present yourself as someone who's not anti-hockey on the whole.

And JMO, but you can't play that game after you've engaged in discussion. That game being "the NHL needs to be fixed" and then say "I'm not going to elaborate on that." Sorry. You brought it up. Now explain. If the NHL is broken, how would you, in your humble opinion, suggest to make it more marketable to the American sports fan?

Nice, a request to elaborate on a call out. I like it.

This is what happens when the NHL and their teams schedule games improperly. Two days between Game 1 and Game 2 of the ECF, and the NHL Playoffs thread goes to :censored:! Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria! 7:30 can't come soon enough.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

1) I'm not anti hockey. The NHL is not all of hockey. I'm not even anti NHL. I just don't give a damn about it. However, I have become increasingly anti-puckhead. Especially due to the puckheads in this community. So, I guess you've got me on that one, huh?

2) I'm not a puckhead, therefore any opinion I have of the NHL's place in the sports landscape will be met with blind criticism, and ad hominem "call outs." I never should have bothered. I'll never win, puckheads will never actually look at what the crux of the argument is, they just seethe when someone dare criticizes "them." I never said the NHL sucks (of course it doesn't), I said I don't give a damn about it. Big difference. I'm not bashing pro hockey, I'm bashing the idea that it deserves some divine right of coverage and assistance from mainstream sports media.

3) I'm not smart or talented enough to fix the NHL's marketing issues. If I was, I would be smart and talented enough to fix much larger, much more profitable issues...therefore it would not be worth my time to fix the NHL's issues. It's not an issue about elaborating. You don't have to know how to fix it to see that something's wrong. Sorry, just being real here. Doesn't matter if I brought anything up or not. I don't owe you or anyone else any elaboration or explanation of how to fix a damn thing.

4) This will teach me to stay out of these NHL auto-fellatio threads from now on. See, I can do the ad hominem stuff, too.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

First of all Jigga, thanks for responding. Re-reading my last post I think I came across as kind of a chode.

1) I'm not anti hockey. The NHL is not all of hockey. I'm not even anti NHL. I just don't give a damn about it. However, I have become increasingly anti-puckhead. Especially due to the puckheads in this community. So, I guess you've got me on that one, huh?

What constitutes a puckhead? I mean hockey's my favourite sport, and I love watching everything from the CHL to the AHL to the NHL. Does simply being a hockey fan make me a puckhead by your definition? Or is it just the people who are overly passionate and somewhat unrealistic about the sport? I'm thinking it might be the latter, and if it is I can see how that would annoy you.

That said I wouldn't say the "puckheads" are any more obnoxious or passionate about their sport of choice then most diehard baseball and football fans. So no problem really. If you're going to partake in the universe of the sports fan obnoxious fans of every sport and/or team is a given. I mean wow, there are people around here who are passionate about hockey. How are they any better or worse then the people who live and die by the performance of their baseball team of choice? Or the people who seem to have an unhealthy emotional attachment to their favourite NFL team 16-19 weeks a year?

2) I'm not a puckhead, therefore any opinion I have of the NHL's place in the sports landscape will be met with blind criticism, and ad hominem "call outs." I never should have bothered. I'll never win, puckheads will never actually look at what the crux of the argument is, they just seethe when someone dare criticizes "them." I never said the NHL sucks (of course it doesn't), I said I don't give a damn about it. Big difference. I'm not bashing pro hockey, I'm bashing the idea that it deserves some divine right of coverage and assistance from mainstream sports media.

I'll agree with you about it's place in the American sports landscape. I don't think it deserves to be promoted as being bigger then the NFL or MLB, but I do think it has a place, a niche if you will, and I would like to see it fulfil that niche to the greatest possible extent.

As for your argument about you not being listened to by the "puckheads," may I recommend not instinctively labelling everyone who comes to the defence of hockey and the NHL a "puckhead."

3) I'm not smart or talented enough to fix the NHL's marketing issues. If I was, I would be smart and talented enough to fix much larger, much more profitable issues...therefore it would not be worth my time to fix the NHL's issues. It's not an issue about elaborating. You don't have to know how to fix it to see that something's wrong. Sorry, just being real here. Doesn't matter if I brought anything up or not. I don't owe you or anyone else any elaboration or explanation of how to fix a damn thing.

How many of us are actually qualified to make nation-effecting political decisions? I'd wager close to none of us. Yet that doesn't stop us from chiming in with our two cents every time there's an election/scandal/whatever.

My point is simply that if you engage in an argument and you say "hey, this thing's broken" you should probably elaborate on what you mean by that when asked about it. Don't start a discussion you're not willing to finish, essentially. Yes, you're not qualified to fix whatever problems the NHL has. Yet you're obviously perceptive enough to see that those problems do exist. And we've all given our opinions on how to fix them. This is the interwebs. Qualifications need not be necessary to post an opinion.

4) This will teach me to stay out of these NHL auto-fellatio threads from now on. See, I can do the ad hominem stuff, too.

If you really don't "give a damn" about the National Hockey League, then why even open a NHL playoff thread? I don't "give a damn" about the National Basketball Association, and I haven't even clicked on the NBA playoff thread.

Of course there's the real possibility that you do find NHL hockey at least somewhat exciting to watch, as evidenced by a few comments you've made here and there, indicting that you do, indeed care about the NHL :P

Thank you for the gentle and gentlemanly reply. You're a good dude.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just remember that the man responsible for bringing the NHL into this era of indifference and, to paraphrase Greg, "retarded" marketing approaches, was a senior vice-president and general counsel to the NBA.

Read into that what you will.

philly.png

And I take heat for my postings about how not liking the wings is getting old! :P

-Dan

Dan, you and I both know that Wing bashing will never get old!

Just remember that the man responsible for bringing the NHL into this era of indifference and, to paraphrase Greg, "retarded" marketing approaches, was a senior vice-president and general counsel to the NBA.

Read into that what you will.

Don't you :censored:ing dare. I NEVER said that. You should be ashamed of yourself for ever linking my name to that statement. I don't use those terms, and I wasn't the one talking about the marketing approaches.

So let's recap...

1) I didn't say what you are indirectly saying I said.

2) :censored: you, Brian. I'm deleting you from my FB friends. Take that! :P

-Dan

You take heat about not liking the Wings because you're known for it more than you are for the team you actually claim to be a fan of. A lot like Neon has taken crap for the same thing. I'm amazed no one called you out on it sooner.

Meanwhile Game 2 of 'Canes-Pens has been absolutely insane. Pittsburgh keeps scoring, Carolina just keeps coming right back. A contest for the ages.

Update: Evgeni Malkin gets a hat trick on a goal that has to be seen to be believed. 6-4 Pens w/ 7:35 to go in regulation.

CCSLC signature.png

*obligatory "Malkin entering Seed Mode" post*

Daaayum.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was going to abstain from posting in this thread again but dammit, that was just way too awesome of a game to not say something about.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

I wonder if Crosby will have the ref ask the fans to stop throwing hats for Malkin's hattrick? :D

-Dan

i was yelling at the tv DONT THROW HATS! DONT THROW HATS! CINDY WILL HAVE A FIT! but they did, and the delay was longer than when Ovechkin had his hat trick. wheres the whining? c'mon Cindy lets hear it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived