Vote Coal Bears!

Burmy

http://www.normalbaseball.com/news/?article_id=2

The candidates are:

Normal Nutz

Normal NightHawks

Normal CornBelters

Normal Coal Bears

The Nutz was favored because of its image and as a reflection that the Beer Nutz Company started locally. The NighHawks was popular in its own right. The CornBelters summon images of the area's strong ties to agriculture along with the vision of future Normal players belting the ball out of the park. The Coal Bears was recommended by a number of individuals who are fans of the popular "Colbert Report" television show ( inexplicably, Stephen Colbert pronounces his name "cole-bare" but also reflects the area's history of coal mining, primarily on the west side of Bloomington-Normal.

Voters who wish to participate in the "Select the Name" contest are directed to www.normalbaseball.com where they will be able to see mock-ups of potential logos for each of the Final Four names before casting a vote. Comments on the namesare also welcome. Team owners will retain the final voting authority.

The Nutz or NightHawks or CornBelters or Coal Bears will be playing in a new athletic stadium that will be constructed in the eastern portion of the main Heartland Community College campus on West Raab Road in Normal. In addition to serving as the home for the new Normal entry in the Frontier League, the stadium will be the host site for the Heartland baseball, softball and soccer teams, as well as a new community venue for a variety of events.

Nutz - would be good, but already taken by Modesto.

NightHawks - too generic.

CornBelters - how are they going to do a logo for THAT?

Coal Bears - YES! Works on SOOOO many levels (besides, minor league baseball teams are supposed to be zany).

GO COAL BEARS! Who's with me?

bYhYmxh.png

As a Peorian, I am honor-bound to vote for "Nutz". Because Bloomington-Normal deserves the worst possible name for their sports team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Really, I think there's only one decent name of the finalists with that being the NightHawks. A new high school that was built fifteen years ago here in Normal was originally supposed to be called the NightHawks but some people thought that it might be inappropriate that a school have the same name as a gang, so they changed the name to (the most original mascot in the book) the Wildcats.

CornBelters is evidently named after the local energy company, Corn Belt Energy and a local high school athletic conference of the same name.

I wouldn't mind the name Nuts without the "z" but I just can't stand it when teams try to be hip by putting a "z" at the end of the word. But I do understand how they might want to avoid starting any controversy with the Modesto Nuts.

I guess I'll have to vote for Coal Bears, even though I think that the team is just baiting Stephen Colbert into talking about them. Doesn't Stephen usually start the process by telling his viewers to vote to name something after him instead of viewers naming something after him with hopes of him noticing and mentioning it on the show? Either way, at least it should get his attention. It's not like Coal Bears is that outrageous, you would just expect the name to come from somewhere a little farther south in Illinois than Bloomington-Normal.

I had to go with NightHawks, Colbert already has enough named after him. If NightHawks wins they will still probably name the mascot after him so they can get a mention on the show. It's a good promotional idea to drum up interest, but it has been done, be original.

As a Peorian, I am honor-bound to vote for "Nutz". Because Bloomington-Normal deserves the worst possible name for their sports team.

I would think "Xtreme" and "PrairieThunder" would be punishment enough. Especially since the former is named after a car dealership.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I would think "Xtreme" and "PrairieThunder" would be punishment enough. Especially since the former is named after a car dealership.

At this point, why buck the trend?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

First off Coal Bears is the only decent name followed by Cornbelters. Both have decent images that spring immediately to mind for logos and identities (a mining black bear and a bat swinging stalk of corn respectively) the others are either terrible with the redundant EXTREME attitude and the other one is relatively generic and been done before.

inexplicably, Stephen Colbert pronounces his name "cole-bare"

Also, why is it "inexplicable" that he pronounces his name that way? It's a common pronunciation of a name ending in "ert" is it not?

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

I guess Normal Guys and Normal Afternoons were taken. I mean what's so normal about a Coal Bear? :D

Coal Bears isn't all that ridiculous honestly. I like it, and it fits the region. It didn't even register when I first read it, then I saw eray's post about Colbert already having enough named after him!

At this point, why buck the trend?

Evidently team management agrees with me.

Good ol'Bloomington/Normal. Corporate sponsorship for the loss! :P

Today, we are all otaku.

http://normalbaseball.com/name/

Well, it looks like normalcoalbears.com accomplished their mission...The contest has started all over again, with each person needing to submit information to avoid multiple votes by the same person.

In addition, NightHawks is gone, with two new options:

Normal CamelBacks - presumably in honor of Camelback Bridge.

Normal Fellers - for obvious reasons (works on SOOOOO many levels!)

Still undecided as to whether I should stay with Coal Bears or switch to Fellers...

bYhYmxh.png

Interesting that NightHawks is gone. Was there a problem with that name that came up when all the foul play started? Did I miss it? I'll go with Fellers. Hopefully they go with a lumberjack for a mascot/logo.

• 4 weeks later...
Malliet envisions corn-related items available at the stadium concession stands, including corn dogs, corn chips and sweet corn. The team is considering growing its own sweet corn on the stadium grounds.

After spending the last 4 summers in corn fields, I believe this stadium would constitute my personal hell.

And yeah, the logo is either stoned or has been "belted" across the head a couple of times.

By Mike Tyson.

Pre Buster Douglas Mike Tyson.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived