Back In The Game?

Linus

How long should the NHL have to subsidize this team? 5 years? 10 years? More? I just don't see it as a worthwhile investment for the NHL in these times of economic incertitude.

And for that reason, I would understand the move some.

But I won't support the notion that Phoenix is a failed hockey market when it was hockey that failed Phoenix.

I'd say there's plenty of fail to go around.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dallas may be the next NHL team to file for bankruptcy according to the Toronto Star

Link

Boy, those dreaded Coyotes fall, and the Canadian sports media thinks they can get the rest of those cursed Southern markets to fall like dominoes, don't they? Can't wait for the "Ducks to Moose Jaw" bandwagon to get up and running.

I don't think Stars fans have a reason for concern here. If Hicks fails, someone (Cuban?) will gladly take the Stars off his hands.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So the plot thickens in the Moyes vs the NHL court hearings. From TSN.ca :

"The NHL filed an objection this morning with the U.S Bankruptcy Court following Moyes' attempt to force the league to disclose other interest or offers to buy the struggling Coyotes franchise. If the Moyes motion is granted, the NHL will have to produce the content of discussions with Reinsdorf, and perhaps any other interested purchase groups."

Does anybody even want to buy this team? Has the league exaggerated the level of interest and negociations held with Jerry Reinsdorf? Looks to me like the NHL has something to hide. Bill Daly has claimed there has been as many as 3 offers by various groups made to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. Was he lying? Why is the NHL so opposed to disclosing the identities of these potential buyers? The NHL has lied in the Phoenix Coyotes saga before, don't forget that only a month ago, Gary Bettman was denying that the league had taken control of the Phoenix Coyotes due to the team's financial issues. He is now claiming that the league has been controlling the team since December.

I think this classic clip pretty much sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXzAd0hl9w

thecatch.jpg

I think the league financing the team since winter with Moyes in charge of on-ice operations is the truth. (In other words....somewhere in between) Bettman misrepresented the situation, there, however because it is his job to do so. Bettman is supposed to be, among other things, the league's biggest cheerleader for attracting potential investors. In that position, you want to make it seem like everything is peachy keen in all of the franchises; to do otherwise tends to scare the money off.

I'm sure David Stern would publicly say that all of the NBA's franchises are healthy as well, even though that is not exactly truthful either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm with everyone who has mentioned downsizing the league. Forget about relocation, if you want that league to remain healthy for years to come then you need to desaturate it and cut it back in size. I don't think anyone's mentioned the actual quality of the game and how it gets effected when you have 30 teams in the league, it's just too many. If you want proof of that and how it has effected the game take a look at the percentages of foreign players the league has attracted over the last 5 years. Forget about the "Slap Shot" markets and bringing hockey to the sun belt, those teams have had fair and ample opportunity to prove whether they can survive and be a viable and lucrative part of the league. If it hasn't happened yet, it's never going to happen. Like the old biological anecdotes about pruning trees and sick animals in a herd - the NHL needs to realize that to strengthen the league they need to get rid of the parts that are decaying and holding it back....otherwise the KHL might actually become something one day.

As for the actual topic: hockey doesn't work in Phoenix, Phoenix doesn't make the playoffs, even with Gretzky involved the team can't function in a gainful way. If LA can't have an NFL team, Phoenix doesn't deserve an NHL team anymore. Where they go, or if they disappear completely is irrelevant. People should simply be asking 'why' things didn't work out better.

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

I think the league financing the team since winter with Moyes in charge of on-ice operations is the truth. (In other words....somewhere in between) Bettman misrepresented the situation, there, however because it is his job to do so. Bettman is supposed to be, among other things, the league's biggest cheerleader for attracting potential investors. In that position, you want to make it seem like everything is peachy keen in all of the franchises; to do otherwise tends to scare the money off.

I'm sure David Stern would publicly say that all of the NBA's franchises are healthy as well, even though that is not exactly truthful either.

That's fine, but lying about possible buyers? That's just bush league as far as I'm concerned.

thecatch.jpg

Something's gotta be up with that Reinsdorf thing, and I can't believe more people haven't smelled the rat. Look. Jerry's no idiot. Well, I mean, he's an idiot, as in "you idiot! you can't break up the Bulls!" or "no, you idiot, one Sox championship isn't worth more than six Bulls championships," but he doesn't throw his money away, and this, this, is a textbook example of wasting money. This is the same guy who has professed to the media on more than one occasion that he isn't going to pay top dollar for present or future Bulls because he refuses to pay the luxury tax. If he won't open the checkbook for Ben Gordon, why would he be slated to buy a failed hockey team that is hundreds of millions of dollars in debt with no readily apparent return on investment? That doesn't add up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because while Gretzky is a genius on the ice, he's horribly incompetent on the business side of it? Much like Michael Jordan in basketball, actually.

My caution about contraction is this...if you're worried about the KHL, then the last thing you want to do is FORCE talent over there because you're cutting franchises.

One of the biggest problems of the internet age is that damn few people have patience or is capable of thinking in the long term. The sun belt will not be overnight success, but with careful nurturing and atttention over a few generations, you will build your hockey market.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

One of the biggest problems of the internet age is that damn few people have patience or is capable of thinking in the long term.

I agree, but this is nothing new.Many have blamed the fall of the Kansas City Scouts on the advent of the touch-tone phone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One of the biggest problems of the internet age is that damn few people have patience or is capable of thinking in the long term.

I agree, but this is nothing new.Many have blamed the fall of the Kansas City Scouts on the advent of the touch-tone phone.

Coincidentally, there were some who blamed the demise of the Colorado Rockies on Colecovision.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Houston always gets overlooked. 6th most populous metropolitan area (soon to be 5th, larger than Philadelphia), currently the fastest growing city, largest metro area without a team, a team could settle in the Toyota Center (also home of the Rockets), and a stable economy. Sports teams in Texas always get supported well. A team in Houston could not possibly be worse than Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, or Miami.

Of course, the "Texas isn't a hockey market" arguement will arise, despite the success of the Stars.

I don't understand why bettman gave franchises to atlanta,nashville,miami,and tampa.but none for houston.in other words:SCREW YOU GARY BETTMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

expos.png

Sports in General is down the hall, y'all.

I don't think they heard you, Mock.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Houston always gets overlooked. 6th most populous metropolitan area (soon to be 5th, larger than Philadelphia), currently the fastest growing city, largest metro area without a team, a team could settle in the Toyota Center (also home of the Rockets), and a stable economy. Sports teams in Texas always get supported well. A team in Houston could not possibly be worse than Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, or Miami.

Of course, the "Texas isn't a hockey market" arguement will arise, despite the success of the Stars.

I don't understand why bettman gave franchises to atlanta,nashville,miami,and tampa.but none for houston.in other words:SCREW YOU GARY BETTMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Two points....

1) Florida and Tampa Bay were awarded before he became Commissioner

2) Did Houston apply for the late 90's expansion? Hard to give a franchise to a market that didn't apply for one.

Today, we are all otaku.

Sports in General is down the hall, y'all.

I don't think they heard you, Mock.

As I said before, this thread should simply be merged with the other one, since legally things won't be sorted out for a move until next year regardless of what happens.

Today, we are all otaku.

Two points....

1) Florida and Tampa Bay were awarded before he became Commissioner

2) Did Houston apply for the late 90's expansion? Hard to give a franchise to a market that didn't apply for one.

Q: Did Houston apply for the late 90's expansion?

A: Without doing extensive research and going on my memory, I would say yes. I remember the Hockey News said they were a lock to get a team in the last round of expansions.

I have no idea why their bid was not approved.

thecatch.jpg

Archived