Back In The Game?

Linus

I think people should realize that the team would be folding and then likely immediately be replaced with a new team.

The NHL would not likely operate with 29 teams. Although, this late, I suppose if they really didn't want Ballsillie and he won the bidding, they might have to for one season.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Jim would be able to outbid the NHL. His net worth is a couple billion dollars! Thats so funny though. The NHL has to bid against someone else just to have control over their OWN franchise lmao!

They always have control. That's why they'd go through with folding it in the unlikely event the appeals case didn't go their way.

Balsillie could throw every dollar he has into buying the team, and ultimately....all he has a worthless scrap of paper and a band of surly employees who have nobody to play against..

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think that Jim would be able to outbid the NHL. His net worth is a couple billion dollars! Thats so funny though. The NHL has to bid against someone else just to have control over their OWN franchise lmao!

They always have control. That's why they'd go through with folding it in the unlikely event the appeals case didn't go their way.

Balsillie could throw every dollar he has into buying the team, and ultimately....all he has a worthless scrap of paper and a band of surly employees who have nobody to play against..

Remember, his bullied the city of Hamilton to cough up $120 million for renovations if they get a team.

Didn't the NHL just gain $2.1 billion (or something like that) in revenue this past season?

So Reinsdorf was probably just serving as a stopgap to buy the NHL time. The excuse that the Make It Seven effort somehow undermined the sale sure does reek of a lame copout. Prospects for the Coyotes' continued existence in Phoenix look rather dismal at this point.

I don't know about that. I think the NHL may outbid Jim Balsillie for the team and in turn sell the team to Reinsdorf to the tune of $148 million. The league would lose about $60-70 million, but they would get to keep Jim out of their old boy's club. This would explain why Reinsdorf backs out on the same day the NHL makes a bid. I think Gary Bettman just showed Jim Balsillie a thing or two about backroom dealings.

There are numerous teams who can afford to drop two million dollars on sour grapes? Man.

Who isn't to say that Reisendorf only dropped out of the bidding process, only to come back after the NHL buys the team?

The point was that they'd be selling to Reinsdorf for less than they paid at auction, thus distributing a $60-70 million loss among the teams, just out of spite.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Didn't the NHL just gain $2.1 billion (or something like that) in revenue this past season?

If they did, then 54% of gross revenues go to the players. The other 46% deals with all the other costs associated to doing business.

Why people assume Balsillie and Cuban are of the same ilk, I don't know.

The NHL could use a Mark Cuban, but Jim Balsillie is not that guy.

From what I've seen, he'll do until another comes along.

My opinion of Bettman has been driven so low, anybody he so despises starts to look pretty good.

So apparently the NHL's offer was only 140 million. That is a complete JOKE compared to Balsillie's offer of 212 million. The only way I can see Reinsdorf being involved in the deal with the NHL is if the NHL was to get the team before the auction. I am going to asume it will be NHL versus Balsillie in the auction and if Balsillie wins and the NHL terminates his franchise, he'll just file a massive 250 million dollar lawsuit against them or something. That's obviously not what the NHL wants. And don't even say he won't do it either, because he'll have every right too, and he will. He would have bought the team fair and square...even if it was through the back door. Also, even if he said he insists on playing the team in Hamilton this year, he would likely except it if the NHL made him play in the Pacific Division. So they'd still have no reason to terminate his franchise.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I'm starting to wonder if the REAL reason the NHL is fighting this so hard is that they're worried that other cities may soon be in the same boat, and that rather than a rare circumstance, that this type of problem could soon be coming to a city near you.

...especially the Icelanders with their repeated failed attempts at a new or revamped Nassau Mausoleum...

I mean, these owners didn't get rich by accident or by dumb luck. Money doesn't lie. There just HAS to be some other motive than a judge potentially ruling that a franchise is a portable asset, right? If it were strictly about the money, they would've already been across the border...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So apparently the NHL's offer was only 140 million. That is a complete JOKE compared to Balsillie's offer of 212 million. The only way I can see Reinsdorf being involved in the deal with the NHL is if the NHL was to get the team before the auction. I am going to asume it will be NHL versus Balsillie in the auction and if Balsillie wins and the NHL terminates his franchise, he'll just file a massive 250 million dollar lawsuit against them or something. That's obviously not what the NHL wants. And don't even say he won't do it either, because he'll have every right too, and he will. He would have bought the team fair and square...even if it was through the back door. Also, even if he said he insists on playing the team in Hamilton this year, he would likely except it if the NHL made him play in the Pacific Division. So they'd still have no reason to terminate his franchise.

The NHL has already unanimously rejected Balsillie as an owner they want in their league. That alone is all the right they need to dissolve the franchise if it is granted to him.

Of course he's welcome to file a lawsuit. It will be a waste of time, however.

I'm starting to wonder if the REAL reason the NHL is fighting this so hard is that they're worried that other cities may soon be in the same boat, and that rather than a rare circumstance, that this type of problem could soon be coming to a city near you.

...especially the Icelanders with their repeated failed attempts at a new or revamped Nassau Mausoleum...

I mean, these owners didn't get rich by accident or by dumb luck. Money doesn't lie. There just HAS to be some other motive than a judge potentially ruling that a franchise is a portable asset, right? If it were strictly about the money, they would've already been across the border...

Money may not lie, but team owners do. They cry poor and then ask cities (aka taxpayers) to cough up money for faculties and tax breaks or they will move. The Isles cannot fund proper financing since banks and bond holders know that that arenas are generally money losing propositions. Why does Tom Hicks want to dump the Rangers and Gillett sold the Canadiens? Because they need that cash to finance a new Liverpool Stadium and there is little public money to be had from the local coffers. They know that Liverpool is a global brand, and know that there is more money there than within the Stars, Rangers and Canadiens.

Money may not lie, but team owners do. They cry poor and then ask cities (aka taxpayers) to cough up money for faculties and tax breaks or they will move. The Isles cannot fund proper financing since banks and bond holders know that that arenas are generally money losing propositions. Why does Tom Hicks want to dump the Rangers and Gillett sold the Canadiens? Because they need that cash to finance a new Liverpool Stadium and there is little public money to be had from the local coffers. They know that Liverpool is a global brand, and know that there is more money there than within the Stars, Rangers and Canadiens.

Yes...their own teams though.

The Coyotes will be costing them millions without anything in return. That's a big difference here.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived