Back In The Game?

Linus

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Mystery bidder emerges to buy Coyotes.

According to a report in The Globe and Mail, the NHL disclosed in a court filing on Wednesday that they had been approached by a potential bidder that would look to keep the team in Phoenix.

No other details were provided.

"The League has been informed that this bidder will submit an application for transfer of ownership, but does not know whether the prospective purchaser will submit a definitive bid by July 24," the NHL said in the filing in the Arizona bankruptcy court, according to the Globe.

Reinsdorf's offer, submitted to a Phoenix bankruptcy judge over two weeks ago, calls for a new Jobing.com Arena lease with the city of Glendale and unspecified new agreements with other creditors, including the NHL, which has been funding the club.

How does the city of Glendale feel about Reinsdorf's promises, I wonder?

Mystery bidder emerges to buy Coyotes.
According to a report in The Globe and Mail, the NHL disclosed in a court filing on Wednesday that they had been approached by a potential bidder that would look to keep the team in Phoenix.

No other details were provided.

"The League has been informed that this bidder will submit an application for transfer of ownership, but does not know whether the prospective purchaser will submit a definitive bid by July 24," the NHL said in the filing in the Arizona bankruptcy court, according to the Globe.

Mij Eillislab

Question about potential Reinsdorf ownership that's obviously moot because people who are smarter and more important than I am haven't raised it: shouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interest between owning one team and owning another team's arena? Granted, Reinsdorf has no hand in the Blackhawks' day-to-day affairs, but the United Center is a joint venture of Wirtz & Reinsdorf, 50/50 to the best of my knowledge, so both parties profit from Bulls games, Blackhawks games, and other UC events. Of course, this is the same league where the Norris family once ran, like, five of the six teams, but something seems off to me. Hypothetically speaking, if the Red Wings rented Bill Davidson's Palace of Auburn Hills in a league where they'd play Bill Davidson's Tampa Bay Lightning, that wouldn't be right, would it? What if the NHL season were to be scheduled in such a way that certainly under no suspicious circumstances, the Blackhawks wrapped up their annual Ringling Brothers eviction fortnight with a game against the fully-rested Phoenix Coyotes? Well, the Coyotes would lose, of course, because they stand to be an awful team for years to come. But it could raise eyebrows. What if you, Hawks ticketholder, had to watch part of the profits made off your watered-down overpriced beer potentially go into the betterment of an opposing team? All moot points, I'm sure, but I sure as hell wish it was enough to make Reinsdorf have to divest himself of the Bulls and sell them to someone who actually respects the value of an NBA championship. I'm on record as an anti-Phoenix hockey guy, but if he had to trade the Bulls for the Coyotes, then I'd say bake those pucks in the desert sun.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Gary Bettman wrote a letter to Coyotes fans

In it he urges them to buy season tickets and support the team and such.

It's a funny read for the most part :lol:

And yes, this is a real letter Bettman wrote. It's not a joke thing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So, there's this owner whose name the league won't release. Is it Reinsdorf? If not, who is it? Will they try to keep the team in Phoenix?

I think that the league is trying to force hockey down the throat of Arizonans, personally.

I'm opening a bar in Mecca. It should work. Lots of people live there.

As long as you put a sign up that says "Allah is not here" you should be fine. You're closer than Bahrain.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's a good idea. Should have thought of that before I settled on opening a burger joint in Pushkar.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's a good idea. Should have thought of that before I settled on opening a burger joint in Pushkar.

You just need to wait until the burgers are really, really, good. You'll prove them wrong in the end, little pilgrim.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 official bids, one from Jerry Reinsdorf and the other from Daryl Jones

But now Daryl Jones if he wins the bid wants to play 5 regular season games in Saskatoon, and keep Wayne Gretzky around as head coach. The most hilarious part, one of the investors of the team is a former employee of Balsillie. This is a joke of a bid, and it will only get out of hand. Lets hope Reinsdorf and co. get the bid, as a Coyotes fan, I would rather see this happen

Games in Saskatoon

One Investor, former employer of Balsillie

Even if I live in Winnepeg, I would not trust a single word that CARPETBAGGER had written at all.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Even if I live in Winnepeg, I would not trust a single word that CARPETBAGGER had written at all.

And that one's on the forbidden list JD.

As for Saskatoon...look, back when the NHL was OPEN to moving teams up North, they said no to that market. Of course keeping Gretzky around also helps sabotage the market, so I see what's happening here.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And the NHL Board of Governors unanimously rejected Jim Balsillie as a potential owner of the Phoenix Coyotes.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...ts/bog_update1/

Reinsdorf was unanimously approved as a potential owner, the third LeBlanc group was not voted on as it was rule the bid is not yet completed being in the early stages but the Executive Committee reported favorably about the bid (My guess is they will ultimately get approved as well).

This obviously represents a huge hurdle for JB, one I don't think he can overcome. He and Moyes can try to launch an antitrust against the league but winning that is a longshot at best. Given the antics that went on with Nashville and JB's conduct over the last 3 years the NHL can probably show that the situation has changed since he was approved to buy the Penguins in '06. Additionally the league has legal precident on their side not to mention that the Supreme Court is expected to rule in a case involving the NFL that matters such as these leagues are a single entity, thus not subject to anti-trust.

It's basically over for JB, he is not going to get a NHL team now or ever.

If the SCOTUS rules that leagues are single entities, we're all screwed.

Considering Baseball has had an antitrust exemption (one given on much flimsier grounds than the single entity argument) for close to 85 years now, I doubt it. Although JB would be screwed by a NFL win.

Archived