Russell Martin Jersey

meetthemets

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did this in the WBC too. His mother's last name was Jeanson so hence the J.

From Wikipedia

Russell Martin announced that for the 2009 season, the name printed on his jersey will be changed to "J. Martin" in reference to one of his middle names "Jeanson", in honor of his mother.

This disappoints me because I had been hoping to get an "R.MARTIN" jersey soon, since that's my name too! (Ryan, not Russell)

From Wikipedia

Russell Martin announced that for the 2009 season, the name printed on his jersey will be changed to "J. Martin" in reference to one of his middle names "Jeanson", in honor of his mother.

This disappoints me because I had been hoping to get an "R.MARTIN" jersey soon, since that's my name too! (Ryan, not Russell)

Can't you just get a personalized jersey like everyone else? ^_^

philly.png

From Wikipedia

Can't you just get a personalized jersey like everyone else? ^_^

I've always wanted to be awesome like people who put their own name on the back of jerseys :rolleyes:

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. More self-aggrandizing crap.

Uniforms are not supposed to be about self-expression, or giving a player's relative a shout-out.

Russell, if you want to honor your mother, start a charity in her name. But leave the uniform alone.

Guy's putting his name on his jersey... what's the problem here?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Uniforms are not supposed to be about self-expression, or giving a player's relative a shout-out.

Russell, if you want to honor your mother, start a charity in her name. But leave the uniform alone.

Yeah... I don't see much of an issue. Besides, it's not as bad as "C. Jones".

philly.png

Quiet you.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

He's using the jersey as a billboard, that's the problem.

For his mom?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

It still shocks me that they let him get away with that. It's basically the equivalent of Pete Maravich wearing "PISTOL" on the back of his jersey.

But yeah, as far as the Martin jersey goes, I've got no problem with it if it's still his name.

It still shocks me that they let him get away with that. It's basically the equivalent of Pete Maravich wearing "PISTOL" on the back of his jersey.

But yeah, as far as the Martin jersey goes, I've got no problem with it if it's still his name.

I don't understand why people would have a problem with "C. Jones". His given name is not Chipper, but that is what he goes by. It isn't a knickname like "the Big Hurt" or "Sultan of Swat." He is not Larry "Chipper" Jones, he is just Chipper Jones. Furthermore, I don't think anyone would think of Chipper if they saw a jersey saying "L. Jones".

Let me ask this: If the Brewers had two players named Hall, would you guys object to Bill Hall putting "B. Hall" on his jersey? His given name is William.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Let's not act like MLB is moving towards the XFL standard (if the XFL ever had a standard) You don't see anyone running around the diamond with 'He Hate Me' on the back of their jersey.

I don't understand why people would have a problem with "C. Jones". His given name is not Chipper, but that is what he goes by. It isn't a knickname like "the Big Hurt" or "Sultan of Swat." He is not Larry "Chipper" Jones, he is just Chipper Jones. Furthermore, I don't think anyone would think of Chipper if they saw a jersey saying "L. Jones".

Let me ask this: If the Brewers had two players named Hall, would you guys object to Bill Hall putting "B. Hall" on his jersey? His given name is William.

Was just going to post the same question.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, for *his* name... when has this ever been a problem before?

Russell Nathan Jeanson Coltrane Martin, he's choosing to go by Jeanson Martin on the back of his jersey... again, I fail to see the issue with a baseball player wearing *his* name on the back of *his* jersey.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Right. But Bill and William are the same things. Bill is his name.

Larry Jone's name isn't Chipper. It's Larry. If he wants me to call him Chipper, he should have his name changed.

philly.png

Archived