I kinda miss the old Reds jerseys

rmackman

I guess for variety's sake, I wish they'd kept the white hat look. Everyone's becoming more similar. I know this post didn't really add any value to anything, but I came across some photos, and just felt they'd be nice to share:

reggie_sanders_3.jpg

jeff_brantley.jpg

eric_owens_and_ray_knight.jpg

pete_schourek_3.jpg

bret_boone.jpg

barry_larkin_5.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Is that Ray Knight managing and one of the Boone boys getting bowled into by a Pirate? Seriously I forgot about those hats. At the time I thought those are pretty cool, something different. Weird thing is that I have a Brewers BnG hat in that style with blue pinstripes made by Twins Enterprises.

packchampionslfroh.png

I was just talking with a friend about the Reds' white hats last week. They were the only white hats I actually liked. And I'm probably in the minority, but I really liked the pinstripes on the gray road jerseys too. I just didn't like where they had the numbers on the front of the roads. I would've put them on the other side.

I really liked the Reds home uniforms then. The white hats were a good look for them. I didn't like the pinstripes on the road uniform. I also like the fact the home uniform had no black in it.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...t&p=1132440

OK, I was close. He had white hats, at least.

Uughhhh... The white hats!!! The only problems I had with the white hats, is... A) when you get a pitcher sweating like a pig - the stripes run & they get a horrible sweat stain then they look terrible, and B ) the pinstripes never lined up right at the seams - just keep the all red/white C - no black.... that' a classy hat!!!

canada.png

Uughhhh... The white hats!!! The only problems I had with the white hats, is... A) when you get a pitcher sweating like a pig - the stripes run & they get a horrible sweat stain then they look terrible, and B ) the pinstripes never lined up right at the seams - just keep the all red/white C - no black.... that' a classy hat!!!

I bought a 1917 White Sox hat in 1992 and this did the same thing. So sad.

pMLB2-1726250dt.jpg

IMHO opinion, white hats only look good when the uniform is dark. Example:

Portland Beavers

These Reds unis were pretty good, though.

Honestly my favorite Reds uniforms are all kind of tied but, I like the classic look of the '67 pinstripes with sleeves that they wore for one year and the '68-'70 plain whites that they wore before the Big Red era. I do like the Big Red era and the 80's-90's era pullovers too. There's nothing wrong with these, but they'd probably like 7 or 8 on my list of favorite Reds uniforms.

Terrible number font, silly-gimicky white cap, super-bright red, road pinstripes, number on the wrong side on the roads, etc. One of my least favorite sets ever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Terrible number font, silly-gimicky white cap, super-bright red, road pinstripes, number on the wrong side on the roads, etc. One of my least favorite sets ever.

I'm with BBTV on this one. Throughout the 90s, I think the Reds had the worst decade, uniform-wise. It went from the ones posted here to the ridiculous amounts of black. What the Reds have now is great, if they'd only change the number font.

I'm with BBTV on this one. Throughout the 90s, I think the Reds had the worst decade, uniform-wise. It went from the ones posted here to the ridiculous amounts of black. What the Reds have now is great, if they'd only change the number font.

To me, the Reds' numbers, which I believe is the same font as their script mark and NOB tie the whole look together (but then, remember who this is coming from). If they changed their numbers, they'd also have to change their NOB font--and then the chest script would look a bit out of place, unless they went sans front numbers, which I don't think the Reds have done at any point in their history (I may be wrong, but I can't recall having seen a photo in which a front number was not present on the fronts of the Reds' jerseys).

What they could probably stand to do, however, is lose the extra outlines, or at the very least, the lil' bit of black that's in there. Sure, it might make for adding a bit of visual contrast, but somehow I think the entire set will look cleaner without it. (And as I type that, I'm envisioning the Boston Red Sox's road jerseys, so make of that what you will...)

In regards to the 90s era, I kinda liked the white caps, same as I liked the gray road caps the Pirates had for a short time and the white caps the Mets wore for a short time. But then, I tend to like things that go against the norm--especially in a sport so saturated, IMO, with rather "bland" aesthetics, for the most part.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To me, the Reds' numbers, which I believe is the same font as their script mark and NOB tie the whole look together (but then, remember who this is coming from). If they changed their numbers, they'd also have to change their NOB font--and then the chest script would look a bit out of place, unless they went sans front numbers, which I don't think the Reds have done at any point in their history (I may be wrong, but I can't recall having seen a photo in which a front number was not present on the fronts of the Reds' jerseys).

What they could probably stand to do, however, is lose the extra outlines, or at the very least, the lil' bit of black that's in there. Sure, it might make for adding a bit of visual contrast, but somehow I think the entire set will look cleaner without it. (And as I type that, I'm envisioning the Boston Red Sox's road jerseys, so make of that what you will...)

In regards to the 90s era, I kinda liked the white caps, same as I liked the gray road caps the Pirates had for a short time and the white caps the Mets wore for a short time. But then, I tend to like things that go against the norm--especially in a sport so saturated, IMO, with rather "bland" aesthetics, for the most part.

To clarify, I did mean to scrap the number/NOB font completely. And I, too, was a fan of the gray Pirates cap. In fact, I loved the "Pittsburgh" script too.

I'm one of those people that LOVED the uniforms but HATED the hats. I used to like seeing the Reds at the plate - because then they were wearing solid red batting helmets, which made "the look" seem more complete to me.

Archived