2009 Confederations Cup

twi

I just watched PTI and Around the Horn rip FIFA for allowing the USA to advance on Goal Difference and argue that head-to-head Italy should've advanced. These people must know head-to-head was in effect, and although Italy beat the USA, Egypt beat Italy, and the USA beat Egypt, therefore head-to-head means squat.

Just needed to get that off my chest. It's amazing how these reporters can't even support their own country. I just wish my country was good enough to compete in a tournament like this.

I'm fairly certain that it wasn't. I don't think head-to-head is used a tie breaker in any FIFA tournament. For as long as I can remember it's been points, the differential, then goals scored.

To be fair to the original point those idiots were also complaining head to head wasn't used in the Okalhoma-Texas debate in College football when that was also a 3-way head-to-head tie with Texas Tech in there. So while FIFA may go straight to goal differential it doesn't make them less of an idiot when it comes to the working of the head-to-head tie-breaker.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, say your whole family is from the U.S., you were basically 100% American (if that's even possible?), but you were born and raised in Italy. Your entire family had a dream of someone in your family playing for the U.S.A. in the World Cup. You have been preparing yourself for your enitre life to be placed on the American soccer team. Your ultimate goal in life is to win the World Cup for America. So the time comes, and for some odd reason you decide to play for Italy instead? That makes no sense. If you and your family had dreams of you playing for America, why would you go to Italy at the last minute for no reason. People are more patriotic when it comes to heritage than when it comes to the country they are currently living. Can I blame Rossi? No. I would have done the same thing if I were in his shoes.

If he's born in Italy, he's definitely not 100% American. He's not even considered American at all.*

*Note: I'm not 100% sure about this....natural citizen rules can be wacky at times.

Okay, say your whole family is from the U.S., you were basically 100% American (if that's even possible?), but you were born and raised in Italy. Your entire family had a dream of someone in your family playing for the U.S.A. in the World Cup. You have been preparing yourself for your enitre life to be placed on the American soccer team. Your ultimate goal in life is to win the World Cup for America. So the time comes, and for some odd reason you decide to play for Italy instead? That makes no sense. If you and your family had dreams of you playing for America, why would you go to Italy at the last minute for no reason. People are more patriotic when it comes to heritage than when it comes to the country they are currently living. Can I blame Rossi? No. I would have done the same thing if I were in his shoes.

If he's born in Italy, he's definitely not 100% American. He's not even considered American at all.*

*Note: I'm not 100% sure about this....natural citizen rules can be wacky at times.

It also stems from if you have parents that we're born in a respective nation that there son/daughter could play with that nation see the Owen Hargreaves issue born in Canada, Parents from the UK he had the choice to play with any of the UK nations and if didn't do that could have been eligible to play for the German National Team under residency rules seeing he played with Bayern Munich, was going to join the Welsh but backed out after being approached from the English.

That's the situation in a nutshell according to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargreaves

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

It also stems from if you have parents that we're born in a respective nation that there son/daughter could play with that nation see the Owen Hargreaves issue born in Canada, Parents from the UK he had the choice to play with any of the UK nations and if didn't do that could have been eligible to play for the German National Team under residency rules seeing he played with Bayern Munich, was going to join the Welsh but backed out after being approached from the English.

I'm referring to naturalized citizenship, not these watered-down rulings that determine players playing for certain countries.

Mike Piazza was born in the US (I believe), but through some dopey ruling, he was eligible to play for Italy in the World Baseball Classic in 2006. I don't think Piazza's ever set foot on Italian soil.

Or that chick basketball player that was eligible to play for Russia's basketball team, despite her never setting foot in Mother Russia.....

I'm referring to naturalized citizenship, not these watered-down rulings that determine players playing for certain countries.

Mike Piazza was born in the US (I believe), but through some dopey ruling, he was eligible to play for Italy in the World Baseball Classic in 2006. I don't think Piazza's ever set foot on Italian soil.

Or that chick basketball player that was eligible to play for Russia's basketball team, despite her never setting foot in Mother Russia.....

I believe you are talking about Becky Hammond. She plays in a Russian league in the winter or something like that, and became a citizen of Russia so she could live there during the whole season. So, I'm pretty sure she is more legit than the Piazza deal. Also, Nick Punto played for Italy this year which is another example.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Man, what is with these refs?

Landon Donovan gets an early yellow and it was pretty darn ridiculous. Landon came from the front, got the ball then the player (it appeared, I'd like to go back and look again), but the Spainiard rolled in pain, and the ref walked over very deliberately and called the yellow.

I'm hesitant to say refs are ever actual biased, but international competition, specifically against the US...it just seems a bit possible.

Meanwhile, the US is putting on all the pressure in the first 8 minutes. They look really good thus far.

Well, it's been a shock so far. US is up one thanks to Altidore basically shedding his marker one-on-one, and somehow keeping Spain from scoring, because Lord knows they've had chance after chance after chance. There's no way that Spain will go the entire game without scoring, but you can tell that they're getting frustrated. Villa & Torres have had some GREAT chances and they've either missed or the US's defense & goalkeeping has clamped down. Pretty exciting first half, if the US hold onto this game it'll be because of the defense.

GAME. Now Ill have something to watch on Sunday.

NOT GAME. You saw Brazil scored 3 goals in 8 minutes or so the other day, anything can still happen.

But holy :censored:, the US might actually win this!!!

GAME. Now Ill have something to watch on Sunday.

NOT GAME. You saw Brazil scored 3 goals in 8 minutes or so the other day, anything can still happen.

But holy :censored:, the US might actually win this!!!

Holy :censored: indeed. Maybe those Around the Horn people can be quiet now.

Cant say I was ever a big soccer fan, but being a die hard hockey fan, I can relate to the disrespect the sport is given in the US. Anytime an American team has this kind of success on the world stage, it should be recognized as a step forward for the sport. Instead, those morons at ESPNBA continue to belittle it (much like they do with hockey), and people wonder why the sport will never take off. I have to admit, I can sit through and watch games of this magnitude. And Im relatively excited about MLS coming to Philly next year.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I didn't think the US would have much of a chance going in, but they are playing incredibly well and managing to hold of Spain. It's really fun watching the spanish feed as it the only one that's live here, but the "LAAAANNNNNDDDDDOOOOONNNNN" is really annoying whenever Donovan gets the ball.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

Michael Bradley sent off!!!

So he has to sit out the Final game because of that? I dont get this sport sometimes, looked like he was going after the ball to me.

Yup, red = automatic ban for next game. That's twice that a US player has been sent off on some BS.

3 minutes left!!!

USA WINS!

:flagusa:

Unfreakingbelievable. That was one of the best defensive displays I've seen watching soccer. The entire defense just refused to let Spain score. Awesome defensive effort, awesome effort all-around! WOW!

Archived