Philadelphia 76ers Concept

AAO

The Liberty Bell, aside from a patriotic figure, is one of the most effective forms to represent the Philadelphia 76ers. A dated basketball with a subpar wordmark and some stars does not exactly do them justice (but hey, if you won a title or two wearing it, I guess it's cream of the crop :mellow: ). It is located in Philadelphia, and its infamous Declaration of Independence ringing occurred on July 8, 1776. I essentially used the same exact colorway as the 77-97 logo, accenting it with silver. I don't believe I'm fully done with this yet, I'd like to have some feedback as to what I should change. I do want to work on the bell itself some more, to give it some more accurate detail while still retaining the feel of a logo. The type for 'Sixers' and '76ers' is my own, I intend to add a 'Philadelphia' or maybe 'Phila' wordmark later. I'm still not sure if I like the dual color wordmark, I was thinking I could make it entirely blue. I am also not entirely sure the 13 stars around the basketball/bell in the swinging bell logo are working as I'd wished. I'd like to hear your thoughts:

Philadelphia76ersConcept.gif

Philadelphia76ersConceptUniforms.gif

Edit 1:

Philadelphia76ersLogoEdits.gif

What's different: Swayed the basketball in the bell in accordance to the movement of the bell. Ditched the 13 stars around the ball. One tone wordmark, rearranged a bit. No skewed stars aside the bell. New secondary logo.

Edit 2:

Philadelphia76ersLogoEdits2.gif

Adjusted the bell so it correlates in its perspective a bit better. Arched wordmark, added the red back into the primary's wordmark. Minor tweaks to the secondary.

Great work as always Ian. I would love to do a court design with your marks. That seems to be my favorite thing to make of late.

As for your concept though, I don't think you need the floating stars on the side of the bell...

I am digging the custom type though. Numbers look great as usual.

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

Huge fan of this, but I think there are a few things that could make it that extra bit better.

Let's put it this way- Like and what could use improvement.

- The Bell, one of the better renderings I've seen. Perfect amount of detail, and I love that it's moving too kind of represent the game of basketball. Very nice.

- Ball in the bell works.

- The secondary logos are great as well.

Some changes maybe:

- Stars are definitely too small around the ball. I'm not sure about the 2 on the side of the bell either. It feels as if they're crammed in somehow, but the logo does need a star somewhere.

- The 2-tone font isn't working for me.

All in all, one of the, if not, the best 76ers concepts I've seen. Has a classic feel, but a modern look. The bell itself seems strong enough to serve as a primary, it just needs some text to go along with it. Maybe place the bell within a circle and have text around it? Anyway, great work, can't wait to see any changes you might make!

I think this font style works for the 76ers here. just needs to interact with the rest of the logo somehow to give it that primary logo feel and the 13 stars are too small and probably just dont fit in that small of an area, but that said this is amazingly done. the secondary and partial logos are excellent. i like the way you incorporated the ball into the bell. The best looking liberty bell Ive ever seen

Great work as usual. I like the stars flanking the bell, but I'm not fond of the skew on them. I also think the wordmark on the red jersey should have silver accents, not red. IMO it would be more consistent with the wordmark on the home uniform. Still, one of the best Sixers concepts I've seen.

You know, this is incredible. It's such a shame that, instead of the 76ers adopting something like this, something really thought out, they're a just recycling an old logo for nostalgia's sake. Great job.

i'm being tedious here but the ball inside the bell should be more to the left since it's moving to the right, no?

i think the strokes on the bell representing movement could be more subdued.

great concept

You've seriously out done yourself this time. This is easily the best design I've seen you do.

You put in just enough detail to show every aspect of the bell, and it almost has a historical look. The only things I'm not really feeling are the stars on the sides, and the stars inside the bell. They are a little too miniscule for me and I'd save those for the secondary logo.

I have to agree with Hoopskid 100% on his analysis. A lot of things are working, but the small stars, skewed stars, and two-tone wordmark are not. I will say that the custom font used is beautiful, and fits perfectly. The bell is awesome aside from the stars...but stars need to be used somewhere. Back to the drawing board to work them in I guess. Minor problems though, as you have the foundation and more set up perfectly. On the uniform shorts, why not make the bell swinging forward on both legs? Like they would on a football helmet. Might help it. Other than that the uniforms are simple and I like them. I would just try to keep the same color assignments on both home and away though. Like the color you use for the wordmark should be used for the trim, and the other color for the piping and collar...or whatever you choose to do. Nice work.

The bell is fantastic, wouldn't change a thing.

The stars right below (or, inside, rather) are way too small and you can't even tell what they are. Not digging the skewed random two stars on either side either.

I don't really like the 76 secondary logo either. The top half of the ball is abruptly cut off and a random 76 is on top of it. I just really don't like how the ball is cut off randomly.

The font is nice but I think the stroke is too thick (or the color inside of it is too thin). Uniforms are great.

Overall awesome job, could use some tweaks though.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Thanks for the feedback. Here's an update. New secondary as a nod to their 'classic logo.' Significant tweaks to the primary, one color wordmark, rearrangement of the stars and such. The basketball in the ball also now sways with the motion of the bell itself.

Philadelphia76ersLogoEdits.gif

I think you should throw "Philadelphia" on top of "76ers" on the secondary and call that the primary and make the bell logo the secondary. It's not that your primary is bad, it's just too disconnected-looking to work as a primary IMO. Also, the secondary is a superb update of the classic logo in my opinion. Fantastic job overall. I just think you should rethink the logo designations.

Archived