2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McElroy played with broken ribs from the SEC Championship. The gameplan and passing execution (minus PJs pass) make a lot more sense now.

And from my biased point of view, I see nothing wrong with Alabama's last touchdown. They were simple dive plays, and if the defense can't stop them, you can't tell a player to just fall down at the goal line, and even if you did, he probably wouldn't listen.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

They had enough time and downs to kneel. What do you expect the defense to do when the game is completely lost? Of course they're not going to have the fire to stop them. I gave Alabama credit, it's just my personal nitpick. Everyone knows that touchdown wasn't necessary, and it doesn't show how close the game really was. But whatever, I guess that's Nick Saban for you.

And McCoy's arm was a noodle. He just could not feel it. Did you read the story about McCoy trying to throw the ball to his dad in the locker room? Not much you can do on the field when you can't even throw the ball 7 yards. McCoy isn't a wimp like you want to make him out to be, he wanted to come back in, he just couldn't.

Cry me a freaking river. I have no sympathy for these maniacal tyrants.

Neither do I, but I don't feel that is the case here. I've been following this very closely since the original story broke weeks ago and something about it just doesn't pass the smell test. Nobody's saying anybody is perfect here, but if what has come out is the whole and true story I'll eat my hat.

Did I miss something? Nobody is talking about this?

Pete Carroll to the Seahawks?

There is a lot of speculation that he sees big trouble coming for USC, worse than what the basketball team just got, and wants to get out of there before the crap hits the fan. Just speculation, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me.

They're reporting out here that it's a done deal. 5 years, $35 million.

I'm not surprised at all. Mike Garrett thought that shifting the focus on Mayo-gate would maybe help the football team avoid Bush-gate, but now that McKnight's involved, and with the Bush hearing tapes soon to be made public, it's about to hit the fan from all angles. With an entire athletic department ready to collapse, it's time.

VmWIn6B.png

Was coming here to mention it -(dp)-, also talks of his replacement coming from the NFL, i.e. Jack Del Rio, etc...

Especially since those Pac-10 candidates (Reilly, Harbaugh) probably see the figurative blood in the water and sense that their current jobs may be better than USC for the near future.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How long until Matt Barkley transfers?

Why would he? Corp has already bolted, so Barkley's likely going to start at USC for the rest of his career.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow, Aaron Corp transferred to I-AA University of Richmond. Interesting. He will not have to sit out a year because he dropped to a lower division. Good for him, I guess.

Yeah, Barkley is SC's starter for life, but will he want to deal with all the sanctions--no bowls, loss of scholarships, and so forth? If he does transfer once the NCAA comes down hard on Southern Cal for its perceived lack of institutional control, I won't blame him one bit.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Wow, Aaron Corp transferred to I-AA University of Richmond. Interesting. He will not have to sit out a year because he dropped to a lower division. Good for him, I guess.

Yeah, Barkley is SC's starter for life, but will he want to deal with all the sanctions--no bowls, loss of scholarships, and so forth? If he does transfer once the NCAA comes down hard on Southern Cal for its perceived lack of institutional control, I won't blame him one bit.

Assuming Barkley also isn't tooling around in a brand new SUV or something (which may leave him "committed" to USC), unless USC sees massive scholarship reductions or a multi-year postseason and TV ban, I don't see the incentive to bail; he'd probably lose a year unless the NCAA gave him a waiver, and playing in a lower division is something of a gamble.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, Tommy Tuberville is your new politically reliable Texas Tech coach. So much for the offense.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm laughing at USC trying to get these career NFL coaches (Fisher, Del Rio) to take their job and them getting turned down. First off leaving the NFL for any college job would be a step down on the career ladder. Secondly why would anyone leave an NFL coaching job to take on a job at a school currently under investigation and may get slapped hard by the NCAA given the other issues in the athletic department?

I'm laughing at USC trying to get these career NFL coaches (Fisher, Del Rio) to take their job and them getting turned down. First off leaving the NFL for any college job would be a step down on the career ladder. Secondly why would anyone leave an NFL coaching job to take on a job at a school currently under investigation and may get slapped hard by the NCAA given the other issues in the athletic department?

Even though he may also be on the way out too, but AD Mike Garrett wants a coach with NFL experience. The AFCA convention also runs through tomorrow in Orlando followed immediately by the NCAA convention in Atlanta, so the power names have to be discussing all the allegations.

As far as USC is concerned, jkrdevil is right, if USC wants a coach with NFL experience, they may want to look at an assistant or someone of that ilk, because they probably won't be getting a head coach (at least a "high profile" one.) Nobody with a lot to lose reputation-wise is going to go to USC considering that they've still got the dark shadow of NCAA sanctions covering them. They've really got to move quickly for their sakes, though. National Signing Day is mere weeks away, they're gonna have to get a move on.

As for Texas Tech, so much for that offensive reputation. Gonna be a radical offensive change down there in Lubbock. I know Tubberville tried to infuse the spread into his system in his last days at Auburn, but it failed miserably & that's just not his style. He's better off with a running-based offense instead.

Gonna be real interesting to see how those two situations shake out.

WOW.

If I were a Tennessee fan, I would be PISSED OFF. Seriously, turns out Al Davis was right (!) about Lane Kiffin having no loyalty. I guess him wanting to make Tennessee one of the top powers in the nation only lasted until the USC job came open...lmao @ this. Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4820737

WOW.

If I were a Tennessee fan, I would be PISSED OFF. Seriously, turns out Al Davis was right (!) about Lane Kiffin having no loyalty. I guess him wanting to make Tennessee one of the top powers in the nation only lasted until the USC job came open...lmao @ this. Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4820737

I never knew Orson Swindle had the power to warp reality.

I guess "fail" really is the new black.

Seriously...what has Kiffykins done to merit being handed the keys to USC? (OK...having Orgeron as a recruiting coordinator and Daddy as D-coordinator helps).

Today, we are all otaku.

Wow, so USC is under these investigations and may face NCAA sanctions, then they go and replace Carroll for a guy known for his shady recruiting tactics. Way to show that you are trying to clean up your program! I wonder if Kiffin is taking the 'hostesses' from Tennessee with him, or if he will find new ones when he gets there.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I don't think anyone has ever made as much money with a resume that solely consists of "fired for cause by Al Davis."

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived