2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Look at it this way...the college football media needs a media darling to hype up (EDIT: speaking of BYU, in response to one of Wasatch's posts). Truth be told, Boise State playing the role of media darling is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. (Especially after the Punch Heard 'Round the World.) They need fresh meat to pump up to play the underling role. Enter the Brigham Young Cougars.

I don't know how the Cougars have been perceived by the national media the past 10 or so years, but I know the local Salt Lake media are and always have been major BYU Homers, even in spite of Utah?s great success the past decade. This could be due to the LDS Church's influence, who knows....

Now, I agree with one thing...Utah mighta got shafted last year. But you gotta remember the Mountain West ain't a "power conference", which means they don't have half the media sicking their collective ducks or singing their every daggone praise. Sucks that that's the way it is, but...that is the way it is.

I don?t know if that ?Mountain West ain't a power conference? argument really applies anymore, seeing how they?ve constantly had 3 teams in the top 25 for quite some time. It?s just too bad they can?t lure Boise St. away from the WAC, then they?d for sure have one of the best conferences in all of College Football!

It was Rutgers, and I think it was in NJ, if I'm not mistaken. I agree with your post, though. I don't think it's far-fetched at all; every year there seems to be a MWC/WAC lovable underdog story, whether they end up winning or losing their bowl game. This year BYU has all the makings of that team, especially if they go beat FSU (hopefully not, but only for the ACC's sake). I could definitely see thieir season playing out like Utah, Hawaii, and Boise State in the last few years, and it would just be more reason to make the MWC a BCS conference. Unfortunately, I don't think enough has changed in that time in terms of things like media to actually make that happen.

Hold the phone boys and girls, it's only been one week, so let's not hand them the trophy quite yet. TCU is another team that could be just as surprising!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's handing BYU the trophy? They're ranked #9 one week into the season. Just let them have their fun, why don't you. Besides, if they lose, they'll fall precipitously. If they win all of their games, they'll rightfully be ranked really high, but they'll certainly be behind some one loss team from a big conference. I don't think you'll be as vehement then, huh?

Besides, the trophy has already been given to Tim Tebow. Not the Florida Gators, just Tebow. He will win the BCS Championship on his own.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Who's handing BYU the trophy? They're ranked #9 one week into the season. Just let them have their fun, why don't you. Besides, if they lose, they'll fall precipitously. If they win all of their games, they'll rightfully be ranked really high, but they'll certainly be behind some one loss team from a big conference. I don't think you'll be as vehement then, huh?

Besides, the trophy has already been given to Tim Tebow. Not the Florida Gators, just Tebow. He will win the BCS Championship on his own.

I?m simply saying don?t hop on the BYU wagon and give them all the credit just yet after one big win. And your right, I won?t be as sensitive to BYU talk if they happen to win all their games; I?ll simply give them their due.

Im simply saying dont hop on the BYU wagon and give them all the credit just yet after one big win. And your right, I won't be as sensitive to BYU talk if they happen to win all their games; I'll simply give them their due.

No one has "crowned their asses" yet, but it's nice to see the little guy get some love. If they go undefeated, the story continues, if they don't, everyone will go back to ignoring them. That's how sports work...be good or be interesting. They're only interesting if they're "and 0" and who really thought they'd beat Oklahoma anyway? BYU should get credit for their win. Plus, the voters HAD to put BYU ahead of OU in the poll.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If they go undefeated, the story continues, if they don't, everyone will go back to ignoring them. That's how sports work...be good or be interesting. They're only interesting if they're "and 0" and who really thought they'd beat Oklahoma anyway? BYU should get credit for their win. Plus, the voters HAD to put BYU ahead of OU in the poll.

And nobody is refuting that.

Very true and very well put . The season was over when Tebow said hes coming back . But thats ok, i still love to watch college football.

glossysig5.png

Very true and very well put . The season was over when Tebow said hes coming back .

All this to watch him probably amount to the next Danny Wuerffel in the NFL. Or the next Rex.

Take that for what it's worth.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Very true and very well put . The season was over when Tebow said hes coming back .

All this to watch him probably amount to the next Danny Wuerffel in the NFL. Or the next Rex.

Come on, Bucco. You can't hold the track record of Spurrier QBs in the NFL against Tebow. To be fair, you need to judge him against other Urban Meyer QBs.

:wink2:

Come on, Bucco. You can't hold the track record of Spurrier QBs in the NFL against Tebow. To be fair, you need to judge him against other Urban Meyer QBs.

Okay then...how about Alex Smith? What's he done in the NFL? :D

(BTW...IIRC, Rex was a Zook product...which I don't suppose is saying much at this point.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Who?

Josh Harris, 6th Round Pick, out of the league altogether

Alex Smith, #1 overall pick, bust/backup QB for the San Francisco 49ers

Chris Leak, undrafted, backup QB for the Montreal Alouettes

I think I'd rather have the track record of Spurrier QBs than Meyer QBs. :P

I really hope Tim Tebow is going to be a stud NFL QB. People hate on him, but he's never made a negative headline and I don't think we'll be reading about him being sued for sexual assault, getting shot by a mistress who was upset he was cheating on her with another woman that wasn't his wife, under federal indictment for gambling, or a fugitive running from a drug arrest warrant. Plus, it'll be fun to hear of his first sexual conquest in some silly interview with Rachel Nicholls on that ESPN E:60 program.

Especially if that first sexual conquest is with Rachel Nichols.

You know what they say...redheads is some wildchilds up underneath them sheets.

Yes...yes they are. And I love them for it.

So has Clemson ever heard of tackling?

And Tech was nice enough to show them how to properly fake a field goal. This game is so awesome and so terrible at the same time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So Dr. Lou was apparently nearly strangled by Woody Hayes when he was at Ohio State.

Nice, if crazy, pep talk. I assume he drew on some of his old Notre Dame-USC material.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes...yes they are. And I love them for it.

Damn right!

So Dr. Lou was apparently nearly strangled by Woody Hayes when he was at Ohio State.

Nice, if crazy, pep talk. I assume he drew on some of his old Notre Dame-USC material.

He really is ESPN's official college football clown.

OK...I went to the NFL game at halftime, and then just flipped back here.

What....the :censored: .....happened?

Today, we are all otaku.

Tonight's game against Climpsun (yes, that's what we call 'em) was one of the scariest moments of my life!! Haha, I know it's "just a game," but we just did not show up tonight. This was a tough game.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Archived