2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

College polls are so ridiculous. First off, why does a Coaches Poll even exist? These guys are being paid to coach players and lead their programs, not sit around and assess how the rest of the nation is doing. Like JoePa really know what's going on in Boise, Idaho....

Next, what's the purpose of having a poll in the first place when EVERYONE KNOWS THAT WINS SHOULD BE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS. Why is this logic so hard for the NCAA to understand??

I'm beginning to realize just how flawed college football really is. Thank god we have the NFL.

6uXNWAo.png

College polls are so ridiculous. First off, why does a Coaches Poll even exist? These guys are being paid to coach players and lead their programs, not sit around and assess how the rest of the nation is doing. Like JoePa really know what's going on in Boise, Idaho....

Next, what's the purpose of having a poll in the first place when EVERYONE KNOWS THAT WINS SHOULD BE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS. Why is this logic so hard for the NCAA to understand??

I'm beginning to realize just how flawed college football really is. Thank god we have the NFL.

Like any of us have any idea? Like any of the media talking heads do? Honestly, let JoePa pick the entire poll all by himself. And it's not just the coaches poll, either. You see some of the jokers with Harris Poll votes? Puh-leeze.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You're so right, the BCS is completely flawed, but at the same time, that's what sort of makes it fun in the Mountain West. We have 3 times that could arguably beat any team in the nation this year. The Utes could have been the National Champion last year, but it wasn?t to be, all because of the P.O.S. ?Big Wigs? who line their pockets full of money, money that comes from these big teams in the big conferences. It?s flawed because it involves so much B.S. politics!

?Unfortunately, Utah doesn?t get a shot to play for the national championship this year,? Hatch said. ?But the fact the Utes won?t wear the official BCS crown, won?t change what Alabama?s players and everyone who saw the Sugar Bowl know in their heads and in their hearts: The Utes are champions ? and I could not be more proud of them. I join with Utahns and football fans across the nation in saluting the champion Utes and their coaching staff for an outstanding season.?
Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

No way Utah could of beaten Florida at that time last year. By then, they were unstoppable.

Don?t you think they deserved a chance to prove it??? Many thought Alabama was #1 for most of the year too, so it goes to show nobody is "unstoppable".

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Look at it this way...the college football media needs a media darling to hype up (EDIT: speaking of BYU, in response to one of Wasatch's posts). Truth be told, Boise State playing the role of media darling is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. (Especially after the Punch Heard 'Round the World.) They need fresh meat to pump up to play the underling role. Enter the Brigham Young Cougars.

We saw this two or three years ago with South Florida...a young program on the rise, poised for a breakout. I want to say that this was the 2007 season, but they were going into other teams' houses and upsetting people. I can clearly remember their visit to Auburn that season...they had absolutely NO BUSINESS AT ALL going INTO Auburn and snatching a win in OT...NONE AT ALL. But they did it. They also beat one or two very highly regarded teams (I can't remember if it was WVU they beat or Rutgers that did this, but), and for all that, they somehow vaulted to #2 in the country before either WVU or Rutgers went down to Tampa and beat them back into reality. (Somebody help me here.)

Now, I agree with one thing...Utah mighta got shafted last year. But you gotta remember the Mountain West ain't a "power conference", which means they don't have half the media sicking their collective ducks or singing their every daggone praise. Sucks that that's the way it is, but...that is the way it is.

The other thing is this...Brigham Young might just really be that good this year. As I said in my previous post, that win over OU (who I believe CONTINUES to be overrated year after year after frickin' year) might just be the springboard for the rest of the Cougars' season. I don't know who's on their schedule going forward other than FSU, but I will say this: if that same Seminole squad from last night shows up to Provo and the Cougars beat them, watch out. FSU might not be the biggest thing going in CFB this year, but that's still FSU, meaning the Cougs would have beat a team with a very recognizeable name, however diminished it may be in present-day college football. It'll be an interesting story to keep an eye on. Oh, and there's also this: it isn't like BYU is exactly a new kid on the block of college football, so in a way, it might actually be a resurfacing of sorts.

(Some of this might sound a lil' far-fetched, but such is my mind and tis how I see it. Oh, and Greg...I can't even get ESPN Classic here in Anne Arundel...care to tape that game for a brotha? ^_^ )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Politics and money, homeboy. Politics and money. That's all it is.

Wanna see a true champion earn their title the way champions are supposed to? Tune in to the Football Championship Subdivision. May not see the big "sexy" names, but it's still some good quality football to be seen at that level.

Like any of us have any idea? Like any of the media talking heads do? Honestly, let JoePa pick the entire poll all by himself. And it's not just the coaches poll, either. You see some of the jokers with Harris Poll votes? Puh-leeze.

Either that or have Lou Holtz take a crack at it. He can thtart at the top with Nothre Dame, who he thays ith going to win it all thith year, and then work hith way down the rankth with the Florida Gatorth, Texath Longhornth, Oklahoma Thoonerth, and tho on and tho forth...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

It was Rutgers, and I think it was in NJ, if I'm not mistaken. I agree with your post, though. I don't think it's far-fetched at all; every year there seems to be a MWC/WAC lovable underdog story, whether they end up winning or losing their bowl game. This year BYU has all the makings of that team, especially if they go beat FSU (hopefully not, but only for the ACC's sake). I could definitely see thieir season playing out like Utah, Hawaii, and Boise State in the last few years, and it would just be more reason to make the MWC a BCS conference. Unfortunately, I don't think enough has changed in that time in terms of things like media to actually make that happen.

Yep, the polls are a joke.

Aaaaaand, what's Mississippi's reason for being at #6? Other than they play in the SEC. That answer, or any variations, are unacceptable.

The power of giggity. Stare into Houston Nutt's crazed eyes. The charisma leads you to believe that he will take Mississippi to the promised land in defiance of reason and the 2 or 3 otherwise inexplicable crack ups against "lesser" teams.

Teams should not drop out of the poll after a victory.

They should when they need to block two field goal attempts by a I-AA team with 7 seconds left in order to win.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yep, the polls are a joke.

Aaaaaand, what's Mississippi's reason for being at #6? Other than they play in the SEC. That answer, or any variations, are unacceptable.

The power of giggity. Stare into Houston Nutt's crazed eyes. The charisma leads you to believe that he will take Mississippi to the promised land in defiance of reason and the 2 or 3 otherwise inexplicable crack ups against "lesser" teams.

Teams should not drop out of the poll after a victory.

They should when they need to block two field goal attempts by a I-AA team with 7 seconds left in order to win.

Well, at least it didn't happen the other way around for the Hawkeyes. That's a lot more than a certain fellow conference mate clad in maize-and-blue-clad could have said some time ago.

Look at it this way...the college football media needs a media darling to hype up (EDIT: speaking of BYU, in response to one of Wasatch's posts). Truth be told, Boise State playing the role of media darling is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. (Especially after the Punch Heard 'Round the World.) They need fresh meat to pump up to play the underling role. Enter the Brigham Young Cougars.

We saw this two or three years ago with South Florida...a young program on the rise, poised for a breakout. I want to say that this was the 2007 season, but they were going into other teams' houses and upsetting people. I can clearly remember their visit to Auburn that season...they had absolutely NO BUSINESS AT ALL going INTO Auburn and snatching a win in OT...NONE AT ALL. But they did it. They also beat one or two very highly regarded teams (I can't remember if it was WVU they beat or Rutgers that did this, but), and for all that, they somehow vaulted to #2 in the country before either WVU or Rutgers went down to Tampa and beat them back into reality. (Somebody help me here.)

Now, I agree with one thing...Utah mighta got shafted last year. But you gotta remember the Mountain West ain't a "power conference", which means they don't have half the media sicking their collective ducks or singing their every daggone praise. Sucks that that's the way it is, but...that is the way it is.

The other thing is this...Brigham Young might just really be that good this year. As I said in my previous post, that win over OU (who I believe CONTINUES to be overrated year after year after frickin' year) might just be the springboard for the rest of the Cougars' season. I don't know who's on their schedule going forward other than FSU, but I will say this: if that same Seminole squad from last night shows up to Provo and the Cougars beat them, watch out. FSU might not be the biggest thing going in CFB this year, but that's still FSU, meaning the Cougs would have beat a team with a very recognizeable name, however diminished it may be in present-day college football. It'll be an interesting story to keep an eye on. Oh, and there's also this: it isn't like BYU is exactly a new kid on the block of college football, so in a way, it might actually be a resurfacing of sorts.

(Some of this might sound a lil' far-fetched, but such is my mind and tis how I see it. Oh, and Greg...I can't even get ESPN Classic here in Anne Arundel...care to tape that game for a brotha? ^_^ )

Sorry, homey. I ain't got it either. I'm too cheap to spend the extra $12.50 for the digital tier.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

USF was #2 then lost three straight games (@ RU, @UConn, and Cinn.) in 2007. That season, they beat WVU (White got hurt that game in the first half).

BYU has its tougher games at home this season, FSU, TCU, Air Force, Col. St and Utah. Sadly, since more and more of the nation could be losing Versus, or has The Mtn., that does not help them either to gain fan support. In 2009, you have to have more of a Boise-style of scheduling than any of the MWC schools. Boise basically plays the 4-5th best team in a conference while the MWC schools (and Fresno State in their hey day) generally schedule a slightly better to much better team on the road. It never panned out for the Bulldogs and it may not really pan out for the others.

First, why does Florida State drop out? They lost a close game to a good team. Also, how many people here think Florida State would lose to Missouri, Kansas, Cincinnati, and Nebraska? Speaking of which, that brings me to my second point...

Ohio State at number 8. Of the teams below them I would bet the Buckeyes to win against maybe five of them. They might beat Kansas, Cincinnati, Missouri, Notre Dame, and maybe Nebraska. Based on what I saw against Navy, every other team on that list would have to be favored against Ohio State.

TFoA is right. Reputation goes a long way in this sport. Ohio State is a 20-25 team at best. (Watch, they'll go out and beat USC Saturday...aw who the Hell am I trying to kid...USC 38 - OSU 10.)

You're kind of starting to sound like willmorris a little bit. That should scare the :censored: out of you. :P

Getting your ass handed to you by actual good teams on a consistent basis will do that to a person. I wonder what team did it to Will?

BB52Big.jpg

Sorry, homey. I ain't got it either. I'm too cheap to spend the extra $12.50 for the digital tier.

ESPN360.com's running it. If your ISP runs it, then you can get it. I'm like y'all, I'd rather not spend the money on ESPN Classic since that, of all channels, got bumped up a tier in Comcast (which is weird considering NBATV, FSC, GolTV, and ESPNU got bumped down into my tier for some strange reason. I ain't complaining, but still.).

College polls are so ridiculous. (1) First off, why does a Coaches Poll even exist? These guys are being paid to coach players and lead their programs, not sit around and assess how the rest of the nation is doing. Like JoePa really know what's going on in Boise, Idaho....

(2) Next, what's the purpose of having a poll in the first place when EVERYONE KNOWS THAT WINS SHOULD BE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS. Why is this logic so hard for the NCAA to understand??

1. If I remember right, the Coaches' Poll was created so that the media (The AP, etc.) didn't have total control over national championships. Some coaches fill out their rankings, and others have their sports directors fill them out. The coaches that do these polls change from year to year.

2. Numbers, really. The NFL has fewer teams and more games to play. NFL teams play 13 different teams, including 60% of their direct competition for playoff spots: teams in their conference. College teams can only schedule 12 games out of 120 FBS teams, and 7-8 of those games are taken out of their hands, due to a conference schedule.

Every poll is going to be flawed until the season is over. Week 2's rankings are still speculatory. Week 14's rankings are all about what you did.

Georgia lost a road game to a higher ranked Big XII team and dropped 8 spots from 13 to 21. I could see them being about 16 or 17, but not 21.

#21 sounds right. Georgia (particularly the offense) did not look good on Saturday. The defense kept them in the game, but mistakes on special teams and the offense did them in. I'm not 100% confident they can beat South Carolina, a team that always gives Georgia fits.

Archived