COMCAST vs DirecTV

xxjdm66

Just a heads-up to everyone that we may lose Versus on DirecTV for the upcoming NHL season. Versus Channel is displaying a message that DirecTV and COMCAST have not extended their agreement and that the channel may be removed after August 31. NHL fans need to let both entities know that this is a terrible idea, and the NHL office needs to work to rectify this situation. With the playoffs basically a Versus exclusive, it will destroy the NHL, and word has it that Dish Network will also be drop Versus later in the year. Get to work Mr. Gary!

p.s. No more rodeo for you cowboys.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who lived without Versus, I shrug at this. It is what it is, a power play over money and we've seen it many times and then at the last minute they make some sort of deal. If Direct TV and Dish Network loses Versus, then it might put pressure on the NHL to move back to ESPN.

I hope that Comcast and Directv makes a new agreement before the NHL season start.

Why? So you can see the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Penguins, or Rangers every night? Center Ice is where it's at man. I won't be too disappointed if I lose Versus since I'll still have Centre Ice.

6fQjS3M.png

Gary Bettman dont care he hates hockey, and wants the NHL to fail, thats why he had a lockout coming off one of the best postseasons ever ruining the start of the Fox contract. Why he cancelled the 2004/05 season, and why he hid the NHL on the witness relocation channel aka VS. It is also why he rather have a team wilt in Phoenix then give it to an owner who wants theteam and in a market that will embrace the team in Hamilton.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Gary Bettman dont care he hates hockey, and wants the NHL to fail, [... removed ...]

Yes, I'm sure that's the case.

Serious question - what kind of drugs do you use prior to posting on here?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Don't worry, BBTV. It's Tank's usual one-off, uninformed, paranoid rant. He probably won't even come back to the thread to see if there's been any response.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Gary Bettman dont care he hates hockey, and wants the NHL to fail, thats why he had a lockout coming off one of the best postseasons ever ruining the start of the Fox contract. Why he cancelled the 2004/05 season, and why he hid the NHL on the witness relocation channel aka VS. It is also why he rather have a team wilt in Phoenix then give it to an owner who wants theteam and in a market that will embrace the team in Hamilton.

Tank, you realize this is a dispute between Comcast and DirecTV, and not the NHL or Gary "Tank's Bane" Bettman?

Do you know and understand what you're typing when you're typing it or do you just fade in & out?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Overall, is it 14 million subscribers. I have posted some updates on he 09-10 NHL thread. Tank must have forgotten that NHL Netowrk is also on 50% of DirecTV packages, so it is not like the subscribers are losing out. The backstory is that Comcast, the owner of Versus, wants 20%+ more in subscriber fees. DirecTV is balking due to lack of true programming Versus has and also wants to move it into the Sports Tier/package with all the regional sports networks.

Is it too late for the NHL to move to another channel for this season?

Since they have a contract with Versus, that's doubtful. Also remember that Comcast owns the Flyers and Versus, so even the thought of bolting now would not be ideal.

There really is nothing worse than billion-dollar mega-corporations taking their hissy-fits out on Joe Subscriber.

Let everybody have everything. Cable can have NFL Sunday Ticket. Satellite can have CSN Philadelphia and now Versus.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I have had DirectTV for 12 years and have also had Sunday Ticket every year but if Comcast gets the rights to the Ticket I would move to Comcast because DirectTV has the worst problems in any bit of bad weather. Don't know what this has to do with the topic but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Dish Network. Better channel selection than Direct, still a ton of sports on without expensive packages. Cheaper and far superior than ANY cable, especially Comcast.

87Redskins.png

Satellite works on line-of-sight technology. This isn't news. Cable has its own technology issues. You take your chances with any of it.

I just got DirecTV, mostly for their soccer offerings (Dish doesn't offer GolTV, for example; Comcast offers very little outside of FSC). Then, of course, this stuff with VS happens. Bah.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It just seems to me Gary Bettman never does what is best for the sport of hockey or the true hockey fan, he keeps wanting to change the sport and make unrecognizable from what we watched and enjoyed for years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It just seems to me Gary Bettman never does what is best for the sport of hockey or the true hockey fan, he keeps wanting to change the sport and make unrecognizable from what we watched and enjoyed for years.

And what does that comment on Bettman have to really do with Versus being dropped?

After the lockout (which the owners forced because they wanted cost certainty aka "salary cap'), it was ESPN President George Bodenheimer who said, "given the prolonged work stoppage and the league's TV ratings history, no financial model even remotely supports the contract terms offered." ESPN declined to exercise its option to pay the league $60 million to carry the post-lockout season, reasoning that the lockout had greatly diminished its value.

The original OLN contract was $65 million for the 2005-06, $70 million in 2006-7, $72.5 million in 2007-08 and it increases annually.

The dropping of the channel is not his fault. Versus averages 250,000 households for each Monday night game. That is cable and satellite owners. That ain't much.

Versus had my hockey fix for the week, but I will not pay extra for Center Ice. As it is I pay an arm and a leg for DirecTV. I guess I can wait for NBC. :cry::cursing:

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Archived