2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

I can't stand the teal and orange. I wish the Dolphins would ditch the teal (or is it aqua?) and switch to a less awful color like any other shade of blue. To have the Marlins bite off of them sounds even worse. One thing that I wish the Marlins would do is a white hat. I know the D-Backs played with that when they came out but I think it would work with the Marlins if they chose to stick with teal.

Honestly, I mostly agree with you, but that teal-and-orange Marlins cap just works for me, and it works for me better than the same scheme works for me with the Dolphins.

You say "any other shade of blue." But royal and navy are already over-used in baseball generally, and in the NL East in particular. What about, say, turquoise, or a pastel shade not currently in use? I mean, the original "teal" Marlins caps weren't really teal anyway; they were more of a bright aqua. (Very little green content compared to a true teal.) Or is that the shade of teal you object to, and might a truer, greener teal be better? Is there a non-royal, non-navy shade of blue, possibly a shade not currently in use in MLB, that would work for you?

I love your idea of a white cap. It's one of those things most teams couldn't pull off, but somebody in baseball ought to do it (like pillbox caps). Miami would be just about ideal, especially if the team winds up with a vivid color scheme with not much black.

"My bad" as the kids like to say. In regards to my "replacing teal with any other shade of blue" comment, I was referring to the Dolphins. I think they would do better with a blue similar to the Seahawks for example but not quite as dark. It would make the orange pop IMO. I definitely wouldn't want to see another navy or dark blue team in the majors.

I couldn't disagree more on this. I think the Dolphins' colors are great, and with the exception of navy (which should be tossed), they have been around for a long time. Their shade of teal goes perfectly with the orange. Also, I think the Seahawks' color is muddled crap. It looks much better in theory than practice. The helmet looks fantastic in direct light, but it always looks too dark on TV. The color doesn't pop on the jerseys, either. Also, I believe it is hard to match because the merchandise doesn't really look close to the on-field gear. That color in general is bad, but having two teams in basically the same "ultra-unique" color in the the same sport is bad.

I personally loved the original Marlins look. I think the aqua looked crazy at first, but really worked for them because of the black. Aqua and orange would just be too bright for baseball, but aqua and black worked perfectly, IMO. The key is relegating black to a distant second. I will be upset when the Marlins roll out their black and orange crap in a few years. Orange is a relatively unique and slightly garish color. It works just fine in baseball, but other than the Tigers' road unis, it is used by 2 teams with black. If they could combine orange with another dark color (maybe forrest green or even purple?), it would work.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giants alternate hat officially released:

newera-mlb-sfgiants-alternate-59fifty-fitted001.jpg

newera-mlb-sfgiants-alternate-59fifty-fitted002.jpg

"The San Francisco Giants has updated their cap line up with an alternate fitted cap. This New Era 59Fifty On-Field Authentic cap bears striking resemblance to the on-field cap that dominated the seasons throughout the 1980s with a two-tone Black/Orange design. Featuring a Black crown, Orange San Francisco logo, bill, and button, this was a highly sought after colorway by Giants fans around the world. Presently, the design is now available with CoolBase technology that wicks away sweat and prevents shrinking."

I thought that was released in december. I saw one at rh champs in times square december 10th for sale. Actually, about 20 of them.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Glad to see they are keeping the "F" cap through the Florida era. It is a modern classic, in my opinion. A temporary switch would be a cheap 2-year money grab (that would likely fail, considering that I used to see more teal caps than any other during my time in Miami). So take heart, fishheatcats, you can keep wearing the teal, black and silver for as long as you want. Heck, they'll probably win another title in it, just because, that's what they tend to do every 6-7 years. (And once Loria is gone maybe they'll switch back from whatever abuse of orange is on the way.)

And just for fun:

ecc_db_fm_1.jpg

Oh I'll be wearing nothing but the teal and black. Anything other than that combo will not get my approval and I won't be buying any new merch until it changes back to the correct Marlins colors. And I certainly hope we can pull off another title pre-2012, because that means one more go round of 60K plus at The Stadium Formally Known As Joe Robbie for baseball.

As for teal/aqua and orange, I think it's a great combo, especially for Miami, but it's so uniquely Dolphins it just looks wrong on anything else. Teal/Black/Silver is the perfect combo for the Marlins. It borrows the teal from the Dolphins, but it's also unique, plus, it's pretty close to the color actual marlins are. How can you have a black/orange marlin logo? Rumblings I've heard are of a Carolina Panthers-eqsue look, blue/black/silver, which works on the realism front, but why change to blue, probably the most used color in sports?

I like the current look that has downplayed the teal, but my favorite is the 1997-2002 set, it was the perfect balance of teal/black IMO.

In interviews I've read Loria claim that teal is an "80s" color, but that's ridiculous. A) The Marlins were formed in 1993. B) The "tealification" of pro sports happened in the 90s. The only way teal would look "80s" on the Marlins is if they took the field in pastel teal blazers with no socks. The colors fit Miami perfectly and they are one of the few teams left using the teal(Mariners, Sharks, Jaguars).

Speaking of teal, I wish the Mariners would bring back the teal-brimmed caps. at least as an official alternate.. Seeing old clips of Randy Johnson and Edgar Martinez in those filled me with nostalgia, but I also think it's a good look.

Speaking of teal, I wish the Mariners would bring back the teal-brimmed caps. at least as an official alternate.. Seeing old clips of Randy Johnson and Edgar Martinez in those filled me with nostalgia, but I also think it's a good look.

I actually wish the Mariners would adopt colors closer to the Seahawks and Sounders.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't stand the teal and orange. I wish the Dolphins would ditch the teal (or is it aqua?) and switch to a less awful color like any other shade of blue. To have the Marlins bite off of them sounds even worse. One thing that I wish the Marlins would do is a white hat. I know the D-Backs played with that when they came out but I think it would work with the Marlins if they chose to stick with teal.

Honestly, I mostly agree with you, but that teal-and-orange Marlins cap just works for me, and it works for me better than the same scheme works for me with the Dolphins.

You say "any other shade of blue." But royal and navy are already over-used in baseball generally, and in the NL East in particular. What about, say, turquoise, or a pastel shade not currently in use? I mean, the original "teal" Marlins caps weren't really teal anyway; they were more of a bright aqua. (Very little green content compared to a true teal.) Or is that the shade of teal you object to, and might a truer, greener teal be better? Is there a non-royal, non-navy shade of blue, possibly a shade not currently in use in MLB, that would work for you?

I love your idea of a white cap. It's one of those things most teams couldn't pull off, but somebody in baseball ought to do it (like pillbox caps). Miami would be just about ideal, especially if the team winds up with a vivid color scheme with not much black.

"My bad" as the kids like to say. In regards to my "replacing teal with any other shade of blue" comment, I was referring to the Dolphins. I think they would do better with a blue similar to the Seahawks for example but not quite as dark. It would make the orange pop IMO. I definitely wouldn't want to see another navy or dark blue team in the majors.

I couldn't disagree more on this. I think the Dolphins' colors are great, and with the exception of navy (which should be tossed), they have been around for a long time. Their shade of teal goes perfectly with the orange. Also, I think the Seahawks' color is muddled crap. It looks much better in theory than practice. The helmet looks fantastic in direct light, but it always looks too dark on TV. The color doesn't pop on the jerseys, either. Also, I believe it is hard to match because the merchandise doesn't really look close to the on-field gear. That color in general is bad, but having two teams in basically the same "ultra-unique" color in the the same sport is bad.

I personally loved the original Marlins look. I think the aqua looked crazy at first, but really worked for them because of the black. Aqua and orange would just be too bright for baseball, but aqua and black worked perfectly, IMO. The key is relegating black to a distant second. I will be upset when the Marlins roll out their black and orange crap in a few years. Orange is a relatively unique and slightly garish color. It works just fine in baseball, but other than the Tigers' road unis, it is used by 2 teams with black. If they could combine orange with another dark color (maybe forrest green or even purple?), it would work.

Then we agree to disagree, because I think the Dolphin's current color scheme is complete crap and the original Marlins look, although unique needed a serious overhaul. Still not sure if the current unis were the best solution, but it was a start. In regards to my previous comment about the Dolphins employing a color similar to the Seahawks only lighter, let me clarify. What I meant was something more "greyed out" away from the bright teal or aqua and more towards a teal with more of a grey tone to get rid of some of the greenish-blue tone. I know I'm not making too much sense but I don't have time to post a pantone of what I'm thinking right now, but it wouldn't look EXACTLY like the Seahawks but it equally wouldn't look like the current aqua color either.

BTW, orange combined with forrest green and purple need to stay far far away from South Florida as possible IMO. Absolutely terrible color combo in my opinion.

Then we agree to disagree, because I think the Dolphin's current color scheme is complete crap and the original Marlins look, although unique needed a serious overhaul. Still not sure if the current unis were the best solution, but it was a start. In regards to my previous comment about the Dolphins employing a color similar to the Seahawks only lighter, let me clarify. What I meant was something more "greyed out" away from the bright teal or aqua and more towards a teal with more of a grey tone to get rid of some of the greenish-blue tone. I know I'm not making too much sense but I don't have time to post a pantone of what I'm thinking right now, but it wouldn't look EXACTLY like the Seahawks but it equally wouldn't look like the current aqua color either.

BTW, orange combined with forrest green and purple need to stay far far away from South Florida as possible IMO. Absolutely terrible color combo in my opinion.

Agree to disagree. I know you didn't want them to use the exact same color. If the Seahawks are any indication, custom colors are bad. The Seahawks unis are inconsistent and the color is washed out on, even on HDTV. The uniforms the players wear barely resemble the colors of retail authentic jerseys. They are too dark on TV. The color is hard to replicate in other merchandise. Also, Miami can get away with bright colors. It is a vibrant town. I would never suggest the Steelers wear aqua, but I also would never put the Dolphins in some kind of gunmetal-ish teal. That color scheme would be interesting to see on other design, but I think the Dolphins' colors are fine as is. They have had them for too long that any drastic change would be equal to the Pistons wearing teal and brick - horrific and short lived.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Agree to disagree. I know you didn't want them to use the exact same color. If the Seahawks are any indication, custom colors are bad. The Seahawks unis are inconsistent and the color is washed out on, even on HDTV. The uniforms the players wear barely resemble the colors of retail authentic jerseys. They are too dark on TV. The color is hard to replicate in other merchandise. Also, Miami can get away with bright colors. It is a vibrant town. I would never suggest the Steelers wear aqua, but I also would never put the Dolphins in some kind of gunmetal-ish teal. That color scheme would be interesting to see on other design, but I think the Dolphins' colors are fine as is. They have had them for too long that any drastic change would be equal to the Pistons wearing teal and brick - horrific and short lived.

You know I wonder if people would accept the Seahawks blue a bit more if they had chosen the silver helmet. I honestly like the blue they chose for a number of reasons. I just don't think it works very well with the helmet being that color. you are right, it does wash out on TV depending on the lighting. In regards to the Dolphins, I wonder if I would like the current colors more if they went to silver with the helmets and pants. I think that might break up the brightness a bit for me. Hmmm....that might be an interesting concept. I hate their helmets though and wish they would completely redesign them. Easily one of the worst logos in the NFL IMHO. They could do so much more with that logo but for some reason they don't. There was an interesting wrap around dolphin helmet concept that I saw once that looked really interesting. Not sure if I'd want them to go that extreme, but they could easily put two large jumping silhouttes of dolphins on either side of their helmets and come out with something hands and shoulders above what they have now.

If the Seahawks wore that vaunted silver helmet, they'd have to wear silver pants and have silver elsewhere in the scheme, which they don't. If they just tacked it on, it would look mismatched and stupid. The Puget slate helmet is just fine.

The modernized Fins logo is kinda dumpy, and the older iterations aren't without their flaws either, but the Leaping Dolphin is too iconic and valuable among NFL logos to do away with it. At least the old one was the same one the undefeateds wore. At least it had that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Should've been teal and orange on pinstripeless white all along. You could do worse than take cues from the '72 Dolphins.

Doubt Pinstripeless is a word. But I'm down with the concept, 100%

I didn't want to say "snow white" because it would've been kind of weird for a Miami team's uniform.

Supposedly it snowed in miami the past two days, barely, for 15 mins at a time.

You COULD do it.

I went Snow hunting last night, and saw nothing, but there WERE some reports.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I don't. Colored jerseys without player names look really amateur. Remember when the Cubs were so committed to being nameless at home (2005-2006) that they made two blue alternates, one with names and one without? The one without looked terrible, like Division III softball or something. (The other one's no good either.) Also, the Orioles should be carrying orange alternates, and the Giants shouldn't have any.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As linked to on UniWatch this morning, the new Giants alt is up on the MLB Shop website. I like it a lot. Purchased the new alt cap this weekend, which also looks really nice IMO.

I just don't see how either could have come to pass without the following conversation taking place:

Giants Exec 1: I see that we are still easily one of the three best-dressed teams in baseball. Maybe even all of pro sports.

Giants Exec 2: And proud of it!

Giants Exec 1: And we've evolved one of the most instantly-recognizable visual identities in sports. Maybe even in American business in general. When you look at the San Francisco Giants, you know instantly that you're seeing the Giants.

Giants Exec 2: Every time. Never a doubt.

Giants Exec 1: So I say, let's blow it up. Screw around with the jerseys. Make our caps look like the Baltimore Orioles. Rip our uniforms to shreds.

Giants Exec 2: Right away, sir!

That said, the alt cap and jersey are badly mismatched. The all-orange jersey needs a solid-black cap for balance. If the Giants feel the need for an orange-billed jersey, it should be worn with either the regular home or road jerseys. I don't like either the alt cap or the alt jersey, but that's just me thinking they don't look pretty. From a disinterested design-quality point of view, I think that matching the orange jersey with the orange-billed cap is a very bad move. All that orange is going to make the black crown stand out too much, and it's going to look like the Giants are wearing a fez. The bill needs to contrast with the jersey for the alt uni to work. With the black jersey lettering on the more washed-out home and road unis, an orange bill will work just fine.

20082614447.png

If the Seahawks wore that vaunted silver helmet, they'd have to wear silver pants and have silver elsewhere in the scheme, which they don't. If they just tacked it on, it would look mismatched and stupid. The Puget slate helmet is just fine.

The modernized Fins logo is kinda dumpy, and the older iterations aren't without their flaws either, but the Leaping Dolphin is too iconic and valuable among NFL logos to do away with it. At least the old one was the same one the undefeateds wore. At least it had that.

I would imagine that they would have worn silver pants but they would still have used the slate blue for the jersey and probably for alt pants. Regardless, I think their new look is hands down better than their original royal blue and green.

As for the Fins logo...I don't think its that iconic to be quite honest. I think that word gets thrown around a lot around here unnecessarily for logos that are just old and people are used to them. They could easily change the logo completely and people would accept it so long as the new logo was well done. Personally, I think the logo looks more like it belongs on the Dolphin tank at Seaworld as opposed to a helmet. Hopefully the new "young" and "hip" ownership (if you can call Gloria Estefan and Marc Anthony 'young' and 'hip') will push for a modernized revamping of the team's identity.

Archived