2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hats are made of polyester now, after originally being made of good old wool (I bought a new wool hat in 2006, the last year of wool, and I won't give it up till it disintegrates). Batting practice hats are woven to let your head breathe more or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hats are made of polyester now, after originally being made of good old wool (I bought a new wool hat in 2006, the last year of wool, and I won't give it up till it disintegrates). Batting practice hats are woven to let your head breathe more or something.

Ah, that explains it. I knew there was something different about that BP cap, though.

I might see if I can pick one up somewhere, since they seem to have more interesting designs that your typical baseball cap.

Game hats are the only hats I will buy, and the only in-game apparel I will wear. I could be talked into donning a hockey sweater (Griswold #00?) but only an old one because Edge jerseys look retarded on civilians. Any other jerseys would make me feel like a schmuck.

Game hats are the only hats I will buy, and the only in-game apparel I will wear. I could be talked into donning a hockey sweater (Griswold #00?) but only an old one because Edge jerseys look retarded on civilians. Any other jerseys would make me feel like a schmuck.

Nice.

I think the Rangers might have a bit too many uniforms. White for home, gray for the road, then red and blue alternates. Good to see they're going to wear red more often at home... maybe blue for the road?

Talk about watering down your identity with alternates. Are they red? Are they blue? Are they red-white and blue? Are they red and blue, and therefore purple? No wonder they are on nearly everybody's list of irrelevant franchises.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They should wear black and olive green. Those sound like ranger-y colors. Better yet, they should come up with a new identity and not be the Texas Rangers.

Talk about watering down your identity with alternates. Are they red? Are they blue? Are they red-white and blue? Are they red and blue, and therefore purple? No wonder they are on nearly everybody's list of irrelevant franchises.

It also hurts the Rangers have never appeared in the World Series, either.

Actually, I think the Pirates and Nationals have the same problem, too. I know the Pirates have something like 4-5 different uniforms, some with pinstripes, others that are black and yellow, some that are white, etc. And the Nationals also have monochromatic uniforms.

They should wear black and olive green. Those sound like ranger-y colors. Better yet, they should come up with a new identity and not be the Texas Rangers.

The Texas Rangers are named for the civilian policing service that used to exist back in the day. I really see no reason why they should be renamed.

I know what the Texas Rangers are. They should be renamed because they're a Dallas team and there's another team in the state already.

EDIT: also the Rangers have only sucked

I know what the Texas Rangers are. They should be renamed because they're a Dallas team and there's another team in the state already.

So? Where is the law you can't name yourself after the state you're in? I've seen this argument stated several times, and i find it completly idiotic. Unless there is some kind of agreement in place between owner and city/metropolitan area, the owner can name his team whatever the hell he wants. The New England Patriots must really piss you off, since not only have they shunned the city name, and even the state name, and decided to name themselves after a whole fu*king region of the United States...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

EDIT: also the Rangers have only sucked

If you want to be super technical, they're really in Arlington.

And, as stated, there's no rule that a team has to name itself after a city. Now, normally, you'll only see "state" teams when you're dealing with teams like the Twins, D-Backs, etc. that are the only baseball team in said state. While I suppose the "Dallas Rangers" has a nice ring to it, again, they're name after the TEXAS Rangers, not the Arlington Rangers or the Dallas Rangers or anything like that.

As for the Rangers having sucked in the past, well, yes, they pretty much have. But they have put together a pretty solid team, and I think they're really going to challenge the Angels this season for the AL West title. (They would have won the wild card last season had they not dropped six games in a row.)

I don't think anyone is disputing a team's right to name themselves whatever they want to, or that there's not good reasons for naming a team after a region, but I also prefer it when a team is named after the specific region they "represent" (meaning the metro area they draw from and market to.) It just seems a little more traditional and old school to do it that way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think anyone is disputing a team's right to name themselves whatever they want to, or that there's not good reasons for naming a team after a region, but I also prefer it when a team is named after the specific region they "represent" (meaning the metro area they draw from and market to.) It just seems a little more traditional and old school to do it that way.

I agree with you completely. And yet if I owned that team, I would name it the Texas Rangers. Why? For one thing, they don't play in or represent Dallas. They play in Arlington and represent Dallas-Fort Worth. And the Dallas-Fort Worth Anythings is a stupid team name. For another thing, they're named after the Texas Rangers. This is a case where life has handed them delicious apples, and when life hands you apples, you don't try to make lemonade. You eat the apples. Finally, as a marketing/branding issue, Texas is kind of a special case. If the only other team around calls itself Houston, that leaves the majority of the state unrepresented and ripe for the picking. Plus Texans tend to carry their state/nationalist loyalties with them when they move around the rest of the country. They're one of the only groups of state residents who can legitimately be called "expats" when they live in another state. And so a Texas identity gives the Rangers access to a larger theoretical market than would a municipal team name.

On the third point, a team can't really tap into the large theoretical pool of "expat" Texan fans unless it is at least a regular contender, so that potential advantage is undercut by the team's decades-long total suckitude. But it's still a sound argument in favor of the Texas name, because it can be something of a force-multiplier if the franchise ever does field a winner.

Besides, Houston has the Texans. If Houston gets the Texans, than it's only fair that Dallas gets the Texas Rangers.

20082614447.png

Any of you guys pick up any of the new Cooperstown hats? I had a couple questions.

1. Can you get rid of the New Era logo with a seam ripper? Does it look normal after you do?

2. How is their crown/visor shape? Will it resist my attempts to take the stickers off, curve the visor, and wear it like an actual baseball cap?

I'd like to know #1 as well. I really want to get an all blue Blue Jays cap with the pre-'95 (?) logo. All I've seen has a white New Era logo on the side that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Any of you guys pick up any of the new Cooperstown hats? I had a couple questions.

1. Can you get rid of the New Era logo with a seam ripper? Does it look normal after you do?

2. How is their crown/visor shape? Will it resist my attempts to take the stickers off, curve the visor, and wear it like an actual baseball cap?

I'd like to know #1 as well. I really want to get an all blue Blue Jays cap with the pre-'95 (?) logo. All I've seen has a white New Era logo on the side that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I can answer this. My softball team decided to wear one of the MLB Twisted caps as our cap (the royal-colored Nats curly "W" cap). I also have one of the new Cooperstown caps and they're identical in make and quality. NOTE: they aren't quite the same as the caps the teams used to wear! The logo on the front is raised and it's slightly larger. I have an old Astros hat that's unwearable now and I bought a new one of the navy star caps. You can tell the differences easily.

I've ripped the NE logo off the side of caps before. If you're careful, there will be no way to tell it was ever on there. I've ripped the logo off of both dark and light caps. I've even ripped the MLB logo off of the back as well. That is a little more difficult, and a lot more likely to leave a mark afterward.

The visors are comparable to the old 5950's (the wool ones). They can be bent normally. The crowns are a bit high though.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

New England Patriots must really piss you off

They do, on many counts!

They play in Arlington and represent Dallas-Fort Worth.

True enough, but the Dallas Cowboys share a parking lot with the Rangers and have no obligations to be anything other than a Dallas team. The Mavericks and Stars represent all of Dallas-Fort Worth and have no obligations either. If you live elsewhere in the Metroplex and get legitimately buttshook that the Dallas Mavericks don't properly "represent" you, you should probably retire from liking sports. I get why "Texas Rangers" should be a perfect name, but it really isn't, as their middling ways have put them behind a hockey team on the list of notable teams called "the Rangers," and yes, it's silly to claim the entire state of Texas when so much of the state is Astros territory. I did smile at the line about the Texans, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dallas Cowboys started in Dallas. The Stars and Mavericks still play in Dallas. And the Rangers have always been in Arlington. So it's not quite the same. I'm sure they did it for the same reasons the Angels became California, because there isn't much middle ground, and the fact the name worked. Metroplex Rangers wasn't an option.

Archived