2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Diego Aeros?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Today was the Padres Open House (whatever that is) here is a tweet from the event from @gaslampball

New military logo for the Padres. Our baseball club has joined the fight!

no pictures, not sure what to make of it if anything.

"Joined the fight"? I sure know what to make of it.

:puke:

More empty flag-waving nonsense from the Pads. Nobody panders quite the way they do.

Shame, because the roundel's not bad. But "join the fight"? Sure, pal. If soldiers weren't actually, you know, dying in combat every day right now, it would only be slightly insulting to suggest your overpaid millionaires are somehow engaged in the same noble pursuits.

1990s Retro Weekend

July 23-25 vs. Nationals

- July 23: Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1997-99 uniforms. The jersey has "BREWERS" in block letters on the front, while the cap features an "MB" logo. The Nationals will be wearing their current uniforms. Alumni Greg Vaughn and Jeff Cirillo are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.

If the description is correct, they would actually be wearing their 1994-96 uniform, which is the inferior version of this design. Please let it actually be the 97-99 unis, with the thick braiding on the placket instead of piping, and the white "M" on the cap. Not only is that an outstanding uniform, but I'd really love to get my hands on one of those caps again.

You and me both! I may even have the incentive to do something I haven't done for years... buy a jersey

If it does end up being the 94-96 version, it'll be the second of these "retro" series where they picked an inferior uniform. The late 80s version of their uniforms with the droptail script is much nicer than the generic duds from 1982.

The tail was actually added in the early 1990s, not the 1980s. Even without the World Series connection they have, the 82 togs are the only home uniforms to meet the "one from every decade" criteria.

Today was the Padres Open House (whatever that is) here is a tweet from the event from @gaslampball

More empty flag-waving nonsense from the Pads. Nobody panders quite the way they do.

Shame, because the roundel's not bad. But "join the fight"? Sure, pal. If soldiers weren't actually, you know, dying in combat every day right now, it would only be slightly insulting to suggest your overpaid millionaires are somehow engaged in the same noble pursuits.

If any MLB team should have the right to do the military thing, it's the Padres. San Diego is home to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot and the largest VA hospital in the United States. Camp Pendleton (Largest Marine Corps Base on the West Coast), Miramar, and a couple of large Navy bases are just down the road as well. Not to mention the enormous Veteran population that continue to live there after they get out of the service. I could see an issue if the Marlins or Twins wanted to celebrate the military as much, but not the Padres.

Plus, they are always having promotions for Veterans and current military at the ballpark. I have gotten free tickets on several occasions to go to San Diego. It may seem like an empty gesture to some. But to me (A combat veteran of the Marine Corps) it's a nice show of support for what is probably the largest military town in the USA.

I get it, and I appreciate things like the free tickets. That's what I'd like to see them do more of, instead of the silly cap and jersey gimmicks.

But "joined the fight" remains very silly rhetoric at its kindest. Every time the Padres come out with something like that, this is what they sound like:

477336328_b49a673ace.jpg

puke.gif

If any MLB team should have the right to do the military thing, it's the Padres. San Diego is home to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot and the largest VA hospital in the United States. Camp Pendleton (Largest Marine Corps Base on the West Coast), Miramar, and a couple of large Navy bases are just down the road as well. Not to mention the enormous Veteran population that continue to live there after they get out of the service. I could see an issue if the Marlins or Twins wanted to celebrate the military as much, but not the Padres.

Plus, they are always having promotions for Veterans and current military at the ballpark. I have gotten free tickets on several occasions to go to San Diego. It may seem like an empty gesture to some. But to me (A combat veteran of the Marine Corps) it's a nice show of support for what is probably the largest military town in the USA.

It's great that the Padres do the free tickets thing (seriously - that's a cool thing), and in-ballpark promotions are a great idea, but 99% of what they're doing is "look at us, we're all about the USA" pandering, and just excuses to make more stuff to sell. Did they not care about the military before a couple of years ago? If they care that much, they could change their team name and identity to something that honors the military. I'll bet that hardly any, if any at all, of the multi-million-dollar players on the team really care about any of it. They're not "honoring" anyone - they're just mannequins modeling a camo jersey for the 20,000 in attendance.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey, Padres, this is what it means to "Join the Fight":

pat-tillman-730221.jpg

Anything short of that, please kindly shut the heck up. Folks who actually join the fight are heroes. The Padres are a bunch of physically fit young men playing a children's lawn game for money, which is pretty much the exact and complete opposite of heroism.

(From a purely design perspective, I actually like that roundel. Except that by swapping a symbol for lettering, it no longer looks like a roundel. It looks like a cigar wrapper. A roundel is based entirely on the notion that it needs to be easily identifiable by people who don't read your country's alphabet or language, so swapping a symbol like a star for lettering just looks wrong. The Lakeland Flying Tigers are an example of how to pull off a military theme without coming off like a poseur flag-wrapping a-hole, and the Padres roundel is definitely in Lakeland territory, despite my misgivings about the conceptual issues with text in a roundel. It's easy to imagine a solid Padres identity built around this, though the team name would have to change.)

20082614447.png

To be fair the "join the fight" quip was from gaslamp ball, a blog that follows the team, and not from the team itself. I've always been torn about the entire military issue, on the one hand yes this is a military town and the team should be able to use that in the way it promotes itself but on the other when its manifested in horrific camo alternate jerseys it simply feels like an inappropriate money grab. The best part about those sunday games are the troops in the stands, you know the people who are actually "in the fight".

Still the roundel is pretty cool, it also shows that that report that came out a few months ago saying that the front office was moving away from the homeplate-padres logo in favour of the SD is very true. More proof can be seen on the official site and, hopefully around the ballpark once the season starts. Good move I say, that homeplate logo is awful.

14ilxq9.png

If the "join the fight" line is Gaslamp's, then that's kind of stupid. If it's from the Padres, it's moronic. Listen, I am usually on the "Let the Padres do this Military Support" thing, but at some point, they're crossing the line from "show of support" to "dress-up nonsense". I like the Padres, and I like what they do for the community there, but there's a reason it's a slippery slope.

I know I've debated the issue with Gothamite on a friendly basis, falling more to the side of "No Harm" in it, but I've learned subsequently from first-hand questioning that not all military personnel think it's OK. Some people, a sizeable minority within the military, do NOT like just anyone wearing camo. It's definitely a big deal to Marines, and it's bothersome to some Navy and Air Force personnel too. Like I said, it's a slippery slope. Gothamite's got a point, and I know several people who have served who find camo dress-up (by ball players or by citizens at large) to be anywhere from annoying to belittling to even infuriating.

On the logo, it is totally sweet and I would indeed buy merchandise with it though.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

1990s Retro Weekend

July 23-25 vs. Nationals

- July 23: Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1997-99 uniforms. The jersey has "BREWERS" in block letters on the front, while the cap features an "MB" logo. The Nationals will be wearing their current uniforms. Alumni Greg Vaughn and Jeff Cirillo are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.

If the description is correct, they would actually be wearing their 1994-96 uniform, which is the inferior version of this design. Please let it actually be the 97-99 unis, with the thick braiding on the placket instead of piping, and the white "M" on the cap. Not only is that an outstanding uniform, but I'd really love to get my hands on one of those caps again.

You and me both! I may even have the incentive to do something I haven't done for years... buy a jersey

If it does end up being the 94-96 version, it'll be the second of these "retro" series where they picked an inferior uniform. The late 80s version of their uniforms with the droptail script is much nicer than the generic duds from 1982.

The tail was actually added in the early 1990s, not the 1980s. Even without the World Series connection they have, the 82 togs are the only home uniforms to meet the "one from every decade" criteria.

You're right... I could've swore they added the tail in 1989 (Yount's AL MVP season), but I just looked it up. It wasn't added until the following year.

Still, those were by far the best look they had in the original BiG era. I wish they could find a way to bring those back somehow.

Are they really gonna wear that? I love the patch but not the idea. Commemorating the 55th anniversary of a championship that was won in another city seems somewhat ridiculous to me. I'm sure the remaining Brooklyn loyalists wouldn't like it either.

Commemorating the 55th anniversary of a championship that was won in another city seems somewhat ridiculous to me.

Not really. Just because the Mets wish they were the Dodgers doesn't mean the actual team can't celebrate its Brooklyn-based achievements, however dubious a 55th anniversary patch may be. There's been such strong continuity in the team between Brooklyn and Los Angeles that it would seem wrong to pretend the Brooklyn Dodgers have nothing to do with them.

I like how the numbers mimic the B on the old hats, but I don't really like the idea of commemorative patches. If you have to celebrate something, just put the logo up somewhere in the park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the "join the fight" line is Gaslamp's, then that's kind of stupid. If it's from the Padres, it's moronic. Listen, I am usually on the "Let the Padres do this Military Support" thing, but at some point, they're crossing the line from "show of support" to "dress-up nonsense". I like the Padres, and I like what they do for the community there, but there's a reason it's a slippery slope.

Hey, Padres, this is what it means to "Join the Fight":

Anything short of that, please kindly shut the heck up. Folks who actually join the fight are heroes. The Padres are a bunch of physically fit young men playing a children's lawn game for money, which is pretty much the exact and complete opposite of heroism.

As a contributor to a rival team's blog, I've been around Gaslamp Ball a fair amount, and I can all but guarantee it was said with tongue firmly in cheek.

While I agree about most of the points being made on the subject (about turning the military into a gimmick, etc), people around here need to chill out a little.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Commemorating the 55th anniversary of a championship that was won in another city seems somewhat ridiculous to me.

Not really. Just because the Mets wish they were the Dodgers doesn't mean the actual team can't celebrate its Brooklyn-based achievements, however dubious a 55th anniversary patch may be. There's been such strong continuity in the team between Brooklyn and Los Angeles that it would seem wrong to pretend the Brooklyn Dodgers have nothing to do with them.

I like how the numbers mimic the B on the old hats, but I don't really like the idea of commemorative patches. If you have to celebrate something, just put the logo up somewhere in the park.

What do the Mets have anything to do with what I said? My point is that first off, who celebrates the 55th anniversary of something? Why didn't they wear a patch in '05 to commemorate the 50th anniversary. Secondly, although in LA they do acknowledge the team's past in Brooklyn somewhat, they could do a much better job. This patch is a good start, but I still think the 55th anniversary idea is stupid. I do really love the patch though.

Archived