2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

My half-hearted Mets mashup

Good start, but it doesn't solve the problem of the muddied wordmarks. You need to ditch that black, as well.

I don't disagree, but I think if they're going to have black alternates (which they'll probably always have from now on due to the marketability) it should be worked into the home and road set in some way. My ideal Mets uniform wouldn't have any black, but if it's gotta be there I would limit it to the alternate set and home and road drop shadows.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lukas has a ticker item stating that MLB is standardizing the grey uniforms (jerseys & pants). All of the grey COOLBASE jerseys are the same shade of grey, so maybe this means they're going to match the doubleknit greys and pants to the COOLBASE so everything is one shade of grey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone see the day where a major-professional league goes back to licensing multiple suppliers to produce authentic on-field uniforms? I really can't see it happening, but if it did, I'd say that baseball would be the most likely sport to do it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there truth to the marlins having a new cap next season? Or are the changes just in the jerseys?

Methinks there will be some slight logo changes as MLB Pressbox currently does not have any lettering available for the Marlins.

No logo changes, but the removal of logos from the jerseys. The "F" logo is gone from the sleeve and on the road jersey "Florida" is being replaced with "Marlins":

Sun-Sentinel Post

I get the point, to begin transitioning from "Florida" to "Miami", but I think it's a totally pointless and stupid move when the "F" is still on the caps. And it's leading to what I fear is the inevitable shelving of the awesome, unique, teal and black color scheme in 2012. My fears have only intensified after seeing this, the proposed seizure inducing calamity for center field at the new ballpark:

Ugggh

Sigh... why did my team have to get an "art" dealer as it's owner?

Their color scheme is more like black, silver, white, and tealwhenabsolutelynecessary. Maybe this fish-laden gaucherie means they'll abandon their dopey-ass "OUR COLORS ARE INDEED ORANGE AND BLACK" stance and go with a more vibrant color scheme.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Giants alternate hat officially released:

newera-mlb-sfgiants-alternate-59fifty-fitted001.jpg

newera-mlb-sfgiants-alternate-59fifty-fitted002.jpg

"The San Francisco Giants has updated their cap line up with an alternate fitted cap. This New Era 59Fifty On-Field Authentic cap bears striking resemblance to the on-field cap that dominated the seasons throughout the 1980s with a two-tone Black/Orange design. Featuring a Black crown, Orange San Francisco logo, bill, and button, this was a highly sought after colorway by Giants fans around the world. Presently, the design is now available with CoolBase technology that wicks away sweat and prevents shrinking."

Anubis.png

Is there truth to the marlins having a new cap next season? Or are the changes just in the jerseys?

Methinks there will be some slight logo changes as MLB Pressbox currently does not have any lettering available for the Marlins.

No logo changes, but the removal of logos from the jerseys. The "F" logo is gone from the sleeve and on the road jersey "Florida" is being replaced with "Marlins":

Sun-Sentinel Post

I get the point, to begin transitioning from "Florida" to "Miami", but I think it's a totally pointless and stupid move when the "F" is still on the caps. And it's leading to what I fear is the inevitable shelving of the awesome, unique, teal and black color scheme in 2012. My fears have only intensified after seeing this, the proposed seizure inducing calamity for center field at the new ballpark:

Ugggh

Sigh... why did my team have to get an "art" dealer as it's owner?

From the link:

NewUniforms3.jpg

Glad to see they are keeping the "F" cap through the Florida era. It is a modern classic, in my opinion. A temporary switch would be a cheap 2-year money grab (that would likely fail, considering that I used to see more teal caps than any other during my time in Miami). So take heart, fishheatcats, you can keep wearing the teal, black and silver for as long as you want. Heck, they'll probably win another title in it, just because, that's what they tend to do every 6-7 years. (And once Loria is gone maybe they'll switch back from whatever abuse of orange is on the way.)

And just for fun:

ecc_db_fm_1.jpg

And just for fun:

ecc_db_fm_1.jpg

I think it's time someone took me out back and shot me, because I actually like that Marlins cap. I mean, really really like it. Normally, I'd say something like, "Great cap, and it proves that teal and orange could work in the abstract, but this is too close to the Mets for the NL East." But screw it, it's the NL East, which is not so much a baseball division as it is an ugly contest. You've got the Nats trying to look like the Phillies, the Braves ruining one of the best uniforms in baseball in order to stop looking so much like the Braves, and then you've got the Mets. If the Mets don't really look like the Mets anymore, it wouldn't be fair to criticize the Marlins for looking too much like the Mets.

I used to think the Marlins best option was to become sort of the anti-Giants, with an orange and black scheme where the Marlins use orange like the Giants use black and use black like the Giants use orange. But now I'm hoping for a balanced teal and orange scheme with black and silver as accents only as a first choice, anti-Giants orange and black as a second choice.

20082614447.png

And just for fun:

ecc_db_fm_1.jpg

I think it's time someone took me out back and shot me, because I actually like that Marlins cap. I mean, really really like it. Normally, I'd say something like, "Great cap, and it proves that teal and orange could work in the abstract, but this is too close to the Mets for the NL East." But screw it, it's the NL East, which is not so much a baseball division as it is an ugly contest. You've got the Nats trying to look like the Phillies, the Braves ruining one of the best uniforms in baseball in order to stop looking so much like the Braves, and then you've got the Mets. If the Mets don't really look like the Mets anymore, it wouldn't be fair to criticize the Marlins for looking too much like the Mets.

I used to think the Marlins best option was to become sort of the anti-Giants, with an orange and black scheme where the Marlins use orange like the Giants use black and use black like the Giants use orange. But now I'm hoping for a balanced teal and orange scheme with black and silver as accents only as a first choice, anti-Giants orange and black as a second choice.

*shot gun blast*

really?????

I can't stand the teal and orange. I wish the Dolphins would ditch the teal (or is it aqua?) and switch to a less awful color like any other shade of blue. To have the Marlins bite off of them sounds even worse. One thing that I wish the Marlins would do is a white hat. I know the D-Backs played with that when they came out but I think it would work with the Marlins if they chose to stick with teal.

Oh, I don't like white hats at all. They get stained!

I love teal and orange. Their stadium is teal and orange; it stands to reason that they should've been teal and orange too. You're in Miami. Be colorful! The current Marlins with all their silver and black feel like a soulless joyless baseball-producing machine (which they pretty much are).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can't stand the teal and orange. I wish the Dolphins would ditch the teal (or is it aqua?) and switch to a less awful color like any other shade of blue. To have the Marlins bite off of them sounds even worse. One thing that I wish the Marlins would do is a white hat. I know the D-Backs played with that when they came out but I think it would work with the Marlins if they chose to stick with teal.

Honestly, I mostly agree with you, but that teal-and-orange Marlins cap just works for me, and it works for me better than the same scheme works for me with the Dolphins.

You say "any other shade of blue." But royal and navy are already over-used in baseball generally, and in the NL East in particular. What about, say, turquoise, or a pastel shade not currently in use? I mean, the original "teal" Marlins caps weren't really teal anyway; they were more of a bright aqua. (Very little green content compared to a true teal.) Or is that the shade of teal you object to, and might a truer, greener teal be better? Is there a non-royal, non-navy shade of blue, possibly a shade not currently in use in MLB, that would work for you?

I love your idea of a white cap. It's one of those things most teams couldn't pull off, but somebody in baseball ought to do it (like pillbox caps). Miami would be just about ideal, especially if the team winds up with a vivid color scheme with not much black.

20082614447.png

Honestly, I mostly agree with you, but that teal-and-orange Marlins cap just works for me, and it works for me better than the same scheme works for me with the Dolphins.

You say "any other shade of blue." But royal and navy are already over-used in baseball generally, and in the NL East in particular. What about, say, turquoise, or a pastel shade not currently in use? I mean, the original "teal" Marlins caps weren't really teal anyway; they were more of a bright aqua. (Very little green content compared to a true teal.) Or is that the shade of teal you object to, and might a truer, greener teal be better? Is there a non-royal, non-navy shade of blue, possibly a shade not currently in use in MLB, that would work for you?

I love your idea of a white cap. It's one of those things most teams couldn't pull off, but somebody in baseball ought to do it (like pillbox caps). Miami would be just about ideal, especially if the team winds up with a vivid color scheme with not much black.

"My bad" as the kids like to say. In regards to my "replacing teal with any other shade of blue" comment, I was referring to the Dolphins. I think they would do better with a blue similar to the Seahawks for example but not quite as dark. It would make the orange pop IMO. I definitely wouldn't want to see another navy or dark blue team in the majors.

I think the orange and blue could work if they decided to minimize the teal and emphasize the orange or else you would get the Miami Mets. The problem is that because those two colors are so light you would almost definitely need a third color, which would ultimately end up being black. The last thing the majors needs is another orange and black team like the Giants or Orioles. Thats why I suggested the white hats. It might allow them to have a different feature to their home uniforms to help differentiate them from the affore mentioned teams should they choose to use any of their color schemes.

I can't believe I'm suggesting this...but utilizing the silver and orange with hints of teal might be a nice alternative. I usually run and hide when I hear a team trying to ram silver or grey unnecessarily into their color scheme. In this case they already employ silver now and if they end up ditching the black they will need some color other than orange and teal to balance out the look IMO.

Archived