2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tried to do this in the best natural light i could. the cream looks great. it's enough of a difference that you can definitely tell. here's a side by side of the new authentic cream and the old authentic white pinstripe.

DSCN0543.jpg

also, one kind of cool thing the mets did do is go slightly retro on the patch. as you can see, the patch is more true to the older skyline logo (thicker script, slightly different shade of blue). would have been great if they re-added the 'NY' to it.

DSCN0545.jpg

sig2024.png

tried to do this in the best natural light i could. the cream looks great. it's enough of a difference that you can definitely tell. here's a side by side of the new authentic cream and the old authentic white pinstripe.

DSCN0543.jpg

also, one kind of cool thing the mets did do is go slightly retro on the patch. as you can see, the patch is more true to the older skyline logo (thicker script, slightly different shade of blue). would have been great if they re-added the 'NY' to it.

DSCN0545.jpg

All they had to do to make this jersey damn near perfect was to remove the black drop shadow. Yet they couldn't even do that. It kind of takes away from the rest of the retro stuff and is the only "modern" part, as they put it, that was combined with the retro to create the jersey. Yet it's the biggest eyesore of the whole thing.

Adding the NY to the Mets logo wouldn't look good because it never did. Always looked like a hastily drawn afterthought to me.

Did anyone ask why the Mets kept the black?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wow, the baseball stitches on the patch on the right are just atrocious.

So at the end of the day, all they did was take their existing pinstripe jerseys and wash them with a load of brown pants so they'd come out tinted.

It's "Amazin'"... ly bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Interesting note on the new Mets jersey sales...

WEEI just quoted an article from today's New York Times concerning the Mets Official Clubhouse Store in Manhattan... On Black Friday, the new Mets jerseys were on sale at the clubhouse store. On the busiest shopping day of the year, in the middle of Manhattan, do you know how many new home jerseys the clubhouse sold?

Zero.

Way to go, Mets.

I'm actually not surprised - the new jersey doesn't really have an audience. The traditionalists who appreciate the throwback color will be put off by the black dropshadow, and the kids who like the black dropshadow will be put off by the dingy color.

Once again, in trying to be all things to all people, they've managed to be nothing special at all. What a Mets.

I'm actually not surprised - the new jersey doesn't really have an audience. The traditionalists who appreciate the throwback color will be put off by the black dropshadow, and the kids who like the black dropshadow will be put off by the dingy color.

Once again, in trying to be all things to all people, they've managed to be nothing special at all. What a Mets.

There must be an awful lot of sharks in Flushing Bay for the Mets to keep jumping 'em like this.

Still, the Mets don't even have the ugliest uniforms in their own division, so it could be worse.

20082614447.png

i did speak with someone very high up in the mets marketing department today and, though i don't want to say what exactly was discussed, i do want to pose this question:

assuming the mets don't want to get rid of the alternate black jersey because of its selling success, would everyone be appeased if they just got rid of the black/blue hat and the dropshadows on the pinstripe and road grey? could black coexist in a world where traditional still exists? basically, would we all consider it a win if the dropshadows disappeared but the black jersey and all black hat remained?

sig2024.png

i did speak with someone very high up in the mets marketing department today and, though i don't want to say what exactly was discussed, i do want to pose this question:

assuming the mets don't want to get rid of the alternate black jersey because of its selling success, would everyone be appeased if they just got rid of the black/blue hat and the dropshadows on the pinstripe and road grey? could black coexist in a world where traditional still exists? basically, would we all consider it a win if the dropshadows disappeared but the black jersey and all black hat remained?

I would prefer we keep the black/blue hat in that case, but it would be great. I dont mind the black, I mind the black on every bit of the Mets Idenity.

Your Idea sounds perfect. Blue/Black cap though.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I would third that. I could deal with that set where the black jersey remains as an alt but the drop shadow is removed from the other jerseys. I think in that case though I'd keep the black/blue cap and get rid of the all black for two reasons: 1) I think the black/blue cap looks better with the black jerseys (see below) and 2) It would better tie the uniform set together.

09F.jpg

mets.png

Keeping the black alternate and dropping the black in the normal jerseys is a gigantic step into the right direction IMO, they can appease those who hate the dropshadow, and still sell to those in favor of the alternate, it's a win win. I'm sure the Mets will drop the ball somehow though...

My college experimented with the black-as-extraneous-color for a few years earlier this decade. The school's colors are royal and gold. All of the primary jerseys work by all of the teams at the college wear blue & gold, with white, grey, or royal used as jersey colors as appropriate for the sport. The accent color used on those jerseys was only white.

However, several teams adopted a black jersey as an alternate. These black jerseys were the only use of black in the identity. No drop shadows or extra trim on the regular jerseys. It looked great, all the kids loved them, and it was a financial success. Of course, the alumni association bitched about the use of black, so it got dropped. But it worked, and if the Mets kill black on all of their other jerseys and use it exclusively as the color of the 3rd jersey, it would look great and work.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm no Mets fan, so I defer to them, but I'd say yes. I think the all-black hat and black jersey are a nice looking combo and, if used as a true alt and not every day, could be a nice addition to what hopefully becomes an otherwise traditional set. But they desperately need to move back to blue and orange. (And at this point I actually think the blue-billed black cap needs to go, although I liked it better originally. The all-black cap only works with the black jersey, so it helps control any temptation to pair it with the others.) Forget the jackets and whatever excuse the equipment manager keeps trotting out. You can have your tradition and sales, too. (And seriously, zero sales the first day? Wow.)

Mets fan here, and here's my take.

I'd take that compromise in a second. Have one black alt (they got rid of the second one already), pair it with the black/blue hat, and wear it as say a Friday night home game alt. Only that day, not whenever during the week. Works for the M's, BoSox, O's, Jays, etc. who have designated alt day. Drop the black from the dropshadows and everywhere else.

And limit it to a home alt, the black jersey with white pants kinda pops, its a nice contrast. If worn occasionally, I wouldn't mind it. It's not so hot with the grays.

Maybe whites regularly, blacks on Friday, pinstripes on Sundays. And I can live with the black/blue hat on the road.

The drop shadows on the gray road jersey look really good IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived