Florida Marlins Field

Old School Fool

So the Phillies/Marlins game is on ESPN right now, and you can see the Miami Dolphins field logos STILL THERE. It's faded, but it's incredibly noticeable, along with the endzone wordmarks and some field numbers. How lazy can the grounds crew be? I mean I understand they probably wanted to jazz up the field for Monday Night's game against the Colts but for the sake of making things easy, they should've just left the field blank like they usually do. It just looks like the grounds crew wasn't even trying. It's a mess.

dolphinsfail1.gif

dolphinsfail2.gif

bSLCtu2.png

Well, there was a Dolphins game at Landshark Stadium on Monday which ended around 11. Tuesday had a DH with the Phillies and Marlins. They have to make the field game ready. What is wrong with green paint since the Dolphins own the stadium? At least the yard markings are not that visible unlike what occurs in Oakland.

Ah, I didn't know there was a double-header on Tuesday, that explains the weird field, but if that was gonna happen they shouldn't of had the Dolphins logos for Monday night in the first place, because last I checked teams don't utilize field graphics when the baseball diamond is out. I don't remember if the Raiders end zones were painted on their MNF opener, but they usually just leave it blank.

bSLCtu2.png

Ah, I didn't know there was a double-header on Tuesday, that explains the weird field, but if that was gonna happen they shouldn't of had the Dolphins logos for Monday night in the first place, because last I checked teams don't utilize field graphics when the baseball diamond is out. I don't remember if the Raiders end zones were painted on their MNF opener, but they usually just leave it blank.

True, but the Dolphins own the stadium, and they can do what they want,no matter what it means for the other tenants.

You're obviously a youngster (just checked your profile and confirmed that your moniker is a misnomer). This used to be extremely common back in the days of shared stadia. Even if the NFL teams used minimal markings, you could still see the yard markers and hash marks on the artificial turf. I'm not sure that I've seen painted markings just covered up by green paint, but I'm sure this isn't a first.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

but if that was gonna happen they shouldn't of had the Dolphins logos for Monday night in the first place

OT - No offense, but please quit typing "shouldn't of". You did it in another thread. Hundreds of people do it on message boards, and it's completely wrong, but people type like they talk. It's "shouldn't have". Sorry, it's a huge pet peeve because two letters is about .14 seconds away from four letters.

I won't say anything about the "gonna" because that's slang. "Shouldn't of", "Wouldn't of", and "Couldn't of" is just terrible, terrible English.

/rant

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

but if that was gonna happen they shouldn't of had the Dolphins logos for Monday night in the first place

OT - No offense, but please quit typing "shouldn't of". You did it in another thread. Hundreds of people do it on message boards, and it's completely wrong, but people type like they talk. It's "shouldn't have". Sorry, it's a huge pet peeve because two letters is about .14 seconds away from four letters.

I won't say anything about the "gonna" because that's slang. "Shouldn't of", "Wouldn't of", and "Couldn't of" is just terrible, terrible English.

/rant

Shouldn't've...Wouldn't've...Couldn't've...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I was watching Monday Night Football and I was shocked that the grounds crew didn't even try to cover up the dirt. :) As BBTV said, seeing football graphics on baseball fields (and dirt infields on football fields) used to be a lot more common. Count me among the old.

Cover up the dirt with what? It's not astroturf or fieldturf where they have the cutout covers. You can't cover up an entire infield. It's been like that every year in every outdoor muti-purpose stadium...then once baseball ends, they re-sod. The Marlins are done at home Sunday, and since they won't be in the playoffs, the field will be back to football only for Week 4 vs. Buffalo.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I was watching Monday Night Football and I was shocked that the grounds crew didn't even try to cover up the dirt. :) As BBTV said, seeing football graphics on baseball fields (and dirt infields on football fields) used to be a lot more common. Count me among the old.

Cover up the dirt with what? It's not astroturf or fieldturf where they have the cutout covers. You can't cover up an entire infield. It's been like that every year in every outdoor muti-purpose stadium...then once baseball ends, they re-sod. The Marlins are done at home Sunday, and since they won't be in the playoffs, the field will be back to football only for Week 4 vs. Buffalo.

Green spray paint! :) Hi... that smile meant I was kidding. So did the first one. Figured that and the explanation after it would convey that. I was wrong and I apologize. Basically, I'm old and not bothered by football/baseball crossovers. Used to it.

Good observation. Also the Miami was on the field for the Hurricanes gam that weekend. I still think that move by te "U" was a bad one. They make money in some areas but I doiubt it is much more than the Orange Bowl.

They had to move as the City of Miami did not even want to put $50-200 million into upgrading the Orange Bowl. They preferred to have that land be available to lure the Marlins into the city. Plus, outside of the major games maybe two a year, they did not sell out every game, even when dominant. While I loved going to games there and hearing teh upper deck bang on the siding was awesome, the parking was terrible, they ran out of concessions by halftime, and it was just an 80 year old facility. Students would have to leave campus anyway, so just play at the better facility.

How bout the orgy of hashmarks that came from a college team sharing a field with a pro team?

I don't recall ever seeing hashmarks on the County Stadium field during a Brewers game though... it seemed more like a thing with those astro-turfed donuts. For some reason I remember Three Rivers Stadium being a pretty big offender.

The Oakland Coliseum after the first preseason game didn't even cover up the lines as the A's had the field for the next day. The day after the first A's game they "greened-out" around the foul lines for easier.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The Oakland Coliseum after the first preseason game didn't even cover up the lines as the A's had the field for the next day. The day after the first A's game they "greened-out" around the foul lines for easier.

Because it was less than 24 hours later. The Cowboys@Raiders was on Thursday night and the Athletics played on Friday night. I think that paint was not used, just baseball chalk and they thought that it could just be swept away by the time the Twins won 8-7. It is full grass for MLS games at the Coliseum.

Archived