Canadian Olympic Team's Hidden Agenda...

GMac

Just when you think politics can get any dumber...

Just a refresher for the non-Canadians out there, the current governing party is the Conservative party, they are currently in a Minority government with the Liberals, NDP and the Bloc Quebecois as the opposition... There has been threat of an election for months now which has lead to this...

HBC company who supplies (and sells) the Canadian Olympic gear for opening ceremonies and such unveiled the 2010 line with a logo that looks like this coc2010.jpg

Well... the house of commons wasted time today based on the fact that the opposition believes it looks too similar to the conservative logo that looks like this347px-Conservative_Party_of_Canada.svg.png

the opposition believes its a subliminal tactic by the government and the government denies any involvement... sigh story below with vid

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/2010wintergames/Canadian+Olympic+clothing+logo+close+Tory+logo+Opposition/2056039/story.html

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

It does resemble Gatorade's G. But I also see where the complaining side is coming from and really don't know who's right. I doubt it's a whole govt. conspiracy, but that doesn't mean someone didn't have sway over it.

Something's bad either way whether it's politics causing the conspiracy theory or politics causing an actual conspiracy.

Ugh.

To be fair, the first thing that came to my mind was the Conservative logo. The second thing was that it's a really weak logo, all things considered...

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I loathe the Conservatives, but frankly, I don't care about this. I also don't think its necessarily a nefarious plot by the Harperites. I'm sure its possible for a designer, when creating logos for a Canadian olympic team to come up with the Capital C for Canada +Maple Leaf combo independently.

If you really want to complain about nefarious Conservative spending and design, the Home Renovation Tax Credit and Economic Action Plan spots that are paid for by the Government of Canada but which are dominated by Conservative Party colour schemes are a better target. That and the fact they've been advertising a Tax Credit that wasn't actually approved by Parliament for months and months, using your tax dollars, in order to sway public opinion.

Since this is a conspiracy, clearly the fact that the Olympic logo uses different colors proves that it's all a plot, because making the C blue would be too obvioius. ^_^

Having grown up near Canada, in the most Canada-like bits of the United States, I kind of marvel at how things have changed. Used to be that American liberals and Canadian conservatives were the crazy folks raving about conspiracies; now it seems to be the reverse. I blame the Red Sox for winning the World Series and upsetting the natural order of the universe. Also, the Buffaslug.

(The above is a joke, not a substantive comment. There's plenty of crazy folks all around. Well, except for the bit about the Buffaslug; that's not a joke. I'm still not entirely convinced that the Buffaslug did not set in motion the collapse of civilization as we know it.)

20082614447.png

Anyone remember when there was a Canadian Reform Alliance party?

The acronym pooped out after a few laughts.

I used to listen to CBC radio almost every night back when they trotted out that party name. Hilarious stuff when As It Happens got ahold of the story.

But because two of the top guys involved were named Preston Manning and Stockwell Day, I think most Americans assumed the whole thing was a tall tale. A political party naming itself CRAP we can believe; but nobody is really named "Preston Manning" or "Stockwell Day." We know a put-on when we hear one!

20082614447.png

Having grown up near Canada, in the most Canada-like bits of the United States, I kind of marvel at how things have changed. Used to be that American liberals and Canadian conservatives were the crazy folks raving about conspiracies; now it seems to be the reverse.

I never thought of that before, but that is so on-point lol.

As far as the logo... it looks like one of the rough drafts I might have come up with if they commissioned me to design it, and I had no idea what the Conservative Party's logo looked like, so I can believe that it's a coincidence. But intentional or not, it resembles another symbol that's very divisive in Canada... and doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of ANY logo... let alone one representing a nation's olympic team?

Having grown up near Canada, in the most Canada-like bits of the United States, I kind of marvel at how things have changed. Used to be that American liberals and Canadian conservatives were the crazy folks raving about conspiracies; now it seems to be the reverse.

I never thought of that before, but that is so on-point lol.

Maybe its the people who aren't in power who are the crazy folk raving about conspiracies?? :wacko:

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived