NBA Season Thread

Gary

Who else?s problem would it be if the head coach isn?t capitalizing on his team?s production and full potential? Isn?t it the head coach?s job to make the most of the players he has, to encourage them to be confident and utilize their abilities the most? Derek Fisher once said he prefers playing in Phil Jackson?s system versus Sloan?s due to Phil ability to give his players the confidence to shoot, rather then jumping on their asses when they do! With that said, imagine just how good Deron Williams would be if he played in a full court system rather than Sloan?s confined half court set!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who else?s problem would it be if the head coach isn?t capitalizing on his team?s production and full potential? Isn?t it the head coach?s job to make the most of the players he has, to encourage them to be confident and utilize their abilities the most? Derek Fisher once said he prefers playing in Phil Jackson?s system versus Sloan?s due to Phil ability to give his players the confidence to shoot, rather then jumping on their asses when they do! With that said, imagine just how good Deron Williams would be if he played in a full court system rather than Sloan?s confined half court set!

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Phil's current laid back style of coaching was more the result of Zen Bhuddism mixing with "I don't give a :censored: before March so long as we make the playoffs." Also, when one works with Jordan, Bryant, and O'Neal, one doesn't need to do a whole lot of motivating to get results.

I'm honestly not quite sure what you are looking for in a coach at the moment. You sound like you want someone who will rule with an iron fist, while your Fisher quote indicates he wants a coach who spews hippie self-actualizing "do whatever feels right" junk. Jackson gets away with it, but Jackson also has 10 rings (which leads players to conclude that he does sort of know what he's doing) and has had Jordan and Bryant to do the "in your face" motivating.

As a final thought...running full court anything in Utah strikes me as a bad idea, at least without some hypereffective conditioning program in place.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also, when one works with Jordan, Bryant, and O'Neal, one doesn't need to do a whole lot of motivating to get results.

Are you one of those guys who think Phil Jackson?s success and 10 titles all came from just working with great players? There wasn?t much skill on his part to get those rings?

Again, I love Coach Sloan and everything he?s done for the Jazz, but I honestly believe he?s taken them as far as he can; he?s had his time with this franchise!

Most teams pick their players, they build the core they want, they build the kind of team that they want, and then they try to find the coach that?ll come in and fill that last gap, be the final piece to the puzzle. The Utah Jazz however are a different story, they built the current team around Jerry, they tried to pick the players that would fit into his system, and they?ve attempted this year in and year out. Again, they?ve taken his style, his philosophy, and they?ve gone as far as they?ll ever go! There?s life after Stockton and Malone and there will be life after Jerry Sloan.

Also, when one works with Jordan, Bryant, and O'Neal, one doesn't need to do a whole lot of motivating to get results.

Are you one of those guys who think Phil Jackson's success and 10 titles all came from just working with great players? There wasn't much skill on his part to get those rings?

Nobody thinks that. Phil Jackson's a phenomenal coach. Bulls don't win six with Collins (and Doug's not exactly chopped liver). What he's saying is that Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant don't need someone yelling in their faces to "motivate" them because they're already two of the most insanely driven athletes ever. You think Michael and Kobe needed Phil telling them to go out there and utterly humiliate people? Granted, Phil's always swearing and screaming at the top of his lungs during games, but c'mon, that's what NBA coaches do; it hardly falls under "motivating."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are you one of those guys who think Phil Jackson's success and 10 titles all came from just working with great players? There wasn't much skill on his part to get those rings?

Nobody thinks that. Phil Jackson's a phenomenal coach. Bulls don't win six with Collins (and Doug's not exactly chopped liver). What he's saying is that Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant don't need someone yelling in their faces to "motivate" them because they're already two of the most insanely driven athletes ever. You think Michael and Kobe needed Phil telling them to go out there and utterly humiliate people? Granted, Phil's always swearing and screaming at the top of his lungs during games, but c'mon, that's what NBA coaches do; it hardly falls under "motivating."

Ok, you?ve made your point, Phil Jackson has the ability to step back and let his players play, he has enough faith in them to let them shoot the ball and play more freestyle basketball, whether that be MJ, Kobe or Farmar! This is exactly what I wish Jerry could do more of! thicon_biggrin.gif

I guess I didn't make my point well enough: the triangle is hardly "letting the players play." Phil owes a great deal of his success to his players' willingness to buy in.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess I didn't make my point well enough: the triangle is hardly "letting the players play." Phil owes a great deal of his success to his players' willingness to buy in.

Very true, very true. I?ll also agree that Sloan has achieved a lot of success by his players buying in, but at the same time I don?t think it?s the right system for the stars the Jazz have.

All in all, we may agree to disagree on a lot of things, but at the end of the day I still respect your opinion. Let?s move on from this and let the thread take it?s natural seasonal course. It?s been fun!

I think that they must've been watching SportsCenter lately, because according to some stat that they pulled up, this was the best chance that they had of breaking the streak anytime soon.

That being said, welcome to the party, Nets. It's about damn time.

The Blazers have injury issues. Oden is likely gone for the season, and the coach is out for their road trip.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/12/05/blazers.oden.ap/index.html

That's really unfortunate for Oden. He was just filling into his role, the fans were really embracing him, and now this happens: Another bad injury for Oden, and you definitely don't wanna see it happen to a guy like that. Hopefully he can come back better, but he's probably going to be permanently labeled as injury prone.

Plus Rudy Fernandez is hurt and now the coach is hurt. Who put a hex on Portland?

It's official. Greg Oden is Sam Bowie. So, does this mean Kevin Durant is going to turn into Michael Jordan? :)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived