NBA Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work in Newark and would rather see Brick City get the benefit of the NBA then Brooklyn.

Which is why this post is a bit biased. :D

NJTank

The problem with Brooklyn is the project is so expensive, there are so many lawsuits, and so many people against it. The Brooklyn issue is what makes the orginization so bad. If it was eleminated they can focuss on building a team in a great arena in Newark. The Prudential Center is dying for a NBA team it would be a boom to the city and the team, and you can move forward, and that is the only way to turn this mess around.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

You are damn right I am biased I am at lunch at work right now, and I can see the Rock out the window. I am a New Jersey Nets fan.

I get that you?re a fan and I happen to respect that; but at the same time, New Jersey might not be the best place for the Nets.

Personally I would love to see a major sports franchise return to Brooklyn, and given the demographic, basketball seems the obvious choice, so (no offense Tank) I'd prefer forthe Nets to move into the Barclays Center and adopt the Brooklyn Nets as their name.

Incidentally, the Nets website still has a link to the Barclays Center website, and the Barclays Center site seems to give the impression of a connection to the Nets as alive and well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well, I, and just about evreyone here, can agree that the they'd rather see the Nets in Newark or Brooklyn than Seattle (arena issues there aside). I'd rather see a team play 50 miles away as opposed to 3,000+.

Personally I would love to see a major sports franchise return to Brooklyn, and given the demographic, basketball seems the obvious choice, so (no offense Tank) I'd prefer forthe Nets to move into the Barclays Center and adopt the Brooklyn Nets as their name.

I agree, and like Saintsfan said, no offense Tank!

Well, I, and just about evreyone here, can agree that the they'd rather see the Nets in Newark or Brooklyn than Seattle (arena issues there aside). I'd rather see a team play 50 miles away as opposed to 3,000+.

You?re right, I?d rather see them stay in the Jersey/New York area; and after all, if you moved the Nets to the Western Conference, the West would have to give up a team.

You?re right, I?d rather see them stay in the Jersey/New York area; and after all, if you moved the Nets to the Western Conference, the West would have to give up a team.

Probably Memphis, but I'd take it in a heartbeat if it moved Minnesota. I want rivalries in Milwaukee/Chicago.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Probably Memphis, but I'd take it in a heartbeat if it moved Minnesota. I want rivalries in Milwaukee/Chicago.

Wow, I can't imagine how I'd feel as a fan if my team switched Conferences after years of being more affiliated with the West.

Of course, if Memphis doesn't turn things around by 2015 (when their lease at FedEx is up), then they would be primed to be moving to Seattle. Stern has been known to say that he wished he didn't expand to Vancouver, or created the Grizzlies franchise. Moving the Grizzlies to Seattle would fix that problem and the whole Seattle situation. However, Seattle needs a new arena in order for that to happen, according to the NBA.

Of course, if Memphis doesn't turn things around by 2015 (when their lease at FedEx is up), then they would be primed to be moving to Seattle. Stern has been known to say that he wished he didn't expand to Vancouver, or created the Grizzlies franchise. Moving the Grizzlies to Seattle would fix that problem and the whole Seattle situation. However, Seattle needs a new arena in order for that to happen, according to the NBA.

By the time 2015 comes around, I?m sure they will need a new arena. I?m sure Key Arena could house a team just fine but that?s not the problem, the problem is that the game has become too corporate; which is why I?m hoping for a lockout that?ll steer the league in a new direction where the owners aren?t held hostage by these ridiculous guaranteed contracts!

Wow, I can't imagine how I'd feel as a fan if my team switched Conferences after years of being more affiliated with the West.

The Bulls, Pistons, Bucks and Maple Leafs went through it, plus you had conference/league changes with the Brewers and Seahawks....and there was that whole Miami/Charlotte/Orlando NBA mess from 1988 through 1991 where they couldn't figure out where they wanted to play... ^_^

While reading about how the league-wide retirement of No. 23 is unlikely on NBA.com, I caught the following paragraph that raised a question for me.

There are 13 No. 23s in the NBA, though James is the only superstar. Oklahoma City rookie Byron Mullens ended up with the number after finding his preferred No. 32 was retired by the organization for Seattle SuperSonics great Fred Brown, and would be open to a switch.

I thought the Thunder were supposed to leave retired numbers in Seattle, or is that only if Seattle is rewarded a new team within 5 years? thdontknow.gif

While reading about how the league-wide retirement of No. 23 is unlikely on NBA.com, I caught the following paragraph that raised a question for me.

There are 13 No. 23s in the NBA, though James is the only superstar. Oklahoma City rookie Byron Mullens ended up with the number after finding his preferred No. 32 was retired by the organization for Seattle SuperSonics great Fred Brown, and would be open to a switch.

I thought the Thunder were supposed to leave retired numbers in Seattle, or is that only if Seattle is rewarded a new team within 5 years? thdontknow.gif

The Thunder still own everything that's Sonics except for the nickname, logo, & colors.

Link

[Clay Bennett's] settlement this week with the city put the Sonics' name, colors and logo on ice, but Bennett still will take what's being called the franchise's "shared history" to Oklahoma City.

The two sides are still negotiating what that means, with a meeting scheduled Aug. 1 to finalize the agreement.

The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys.

So yeah, if the Sonics are to return, it's not going to be a Cleveland Browns deal...The Thunder would be still be the Sonics, but the new Sonics would be the Sonics Jr....weird.

The Thunder still own everything that's Sonics except for the nickname, logo, & colors.

Link

[Clay Bennett's] settlement this week with the city put the Sonics' name, colors and logo on ice, but Bennett still will take what's being called the franchise's "shared history" to Oklahoma City.

The two sides are still negotiating what that means, with a meeting scheduled Aug. 1 to finalize the agreement.

The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys.

So yeah, if the Sonics are to return, it's not going to be a Cleveland Browns deal...The Thunder would be still be the Sonics, but the new Sonics would be the Sonics Jr....weird.

To me, that?s just stupid! When I look at the Thunder, no remnants of the Sonics franchise come to mind; so it?s crazy to think that there?s Sonics banners hanging in the Ford Center. thicon_puke_r.gif

Does anyone know if he's decided to replicate the trophy yet?

You are damn right I am biased I am at lunch at work right now, and I can see the Rock out the window. I am a New Jersey Nets fan.

I get that youre a fan and I happen to respect that; but at the same time, New Jersey might not be the best place for the Nets.

I understand what Tank is saying about moving the Nets to Newark. Sure attendance would go up, but the Nets would not be the primary tennant. I don't think the Devils' would want the Nets infringing on any money they would possibly make (not that it is much because the Devils' fanbase is garbage), but it is still something. A move to Newark would help, but would it help that much? I don't know unless the other tennants are willing to work something out.

Wasatch, you could be right that New Jersey might not be the best place for the Nets. Even when the team went to two straight NBA Finals and had all those post finals competitive years, the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena) was nowhere near 100% capacity. New Jersey just has terrible fans all around, but Nets fans are miles ahead of Devils fans.

Wasatch, you could be right that New Jersey might not be the best place for the Nets. Even when the team went to two straight NBA Finals and had all those post finals competitive years, the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena) was nowhere near 100% capacity. New Jersey just has terrible fans all around, but Nets fans are miles ahead of Devils fans.

That's pretty sad. thicon_sad.gif Why is their following so bad?

Good, that place was a $%!& hole, not to mention some Mavs fans tried to kick my ass in the restroom there during Game 3 of the 2000-01 first round series there. thicon_lol.gif No worries though, I was an intruder on their territory. Sort of surprises me that they didn?t use explosives to bring down the rest of the roof shell.

Their following sucks because why be a Nets fan when you can be a Knicks fan? Even when the Knicks are crappy, it's still really cool to like the New York Knicks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Their following sucks because why be a Nets fan when you can be a Knicks fan? Even when the Knicks are crappy, it's still really cool to like the New York Knicks.

Because some of appriciate their ABA legacy and they are the NEW JERSEY Nets

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived