NBA Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their following sucks because why be a Nets fan when you can be a Knicks fan? Even when the Knicks are crappy, it's still really cool to like the New York Knicks.

Because some of appriciate their ABA legacy and they are the NEW JERSEY Nets

Personally I think that The Brooklyn Nets would be much easier to market than the New Jersey Nets. Losing a team through relocation is never easy, but you mention the ABA heritage, but they were the New York Nets in the ABA. Why not let New York have them back? I'm not sure that New Jersey has ever really found much of an identity for the Nets. Certainly they haven't had much success.

To me, I think Brooklyn would be a much better location for the Nets.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Nobody's "losing a team." They'd essentially be moving down the street. If you live in Bergenfield and can't be arsed to drive to a Nets game in Brooklyn, you probably couldn't be arsed to drive to a game in the Meadowlands either, and that would explain a lot about why this organization is such a failure.

I don't like the way "Brooklyn Nets" sounds when "New York Nets" rolls off the tongue so much better ("The Brooklynettes" sound like The Rockettes but sassier), fits right in with the Mets and Jets, and allows them to market themselves to the whole tri-state area. Pursuing a Brooklyn-based identity is a silly affectation and desperate grasp for a bygone era when Brooklyn was not only an independent muncipality but one of the most important ones in America. Most Brooklynites are surely unwavering Knicks fans, and I don't expect them to abandon one of the NBA's cornerstones for the crappy Nets because "Brooklyn" is in their name.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nobody's "losing a team." They'd essentially be moving down the street. If you live in Bergenfield and can't be arsed to drive to a Nets game in Brooklyn, you probably couldn't be arsed to drive to a game in the Meadowlands either, and that would explain a lot about why this organization is such a failure.

I don't like the way "Brooklyn Nets" sounds when "New York Nets" rolls off the tongue so much better ("The Brooklynettes" sound like The Rockettes but sassier), fits right in with the Mets and Jets, and allows them to market themselves to the whole tri-state area. Pursuing a Brooklyn-based identity is a silly affectation and desperate grasp for a bygone era when Brooklyn was not only an independent muncipality but one of the most important ones in America. Most Brooklynites are surely unwavering Knicks fans, and I don't expect them to abandon one of the NBA's cornerstones for the crappy Nets because "Brooklyn" is in their name.

Rename the team the "Brooklyn Knights", give a WNBA team the Nets monicker and everything is fixed.

Say if fast, "Brooklyn Knights". It would instantly become the best name in american professional sports. Agh, that would be so cool.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Wasatch, you could be right that New Jersey might not be the best place for the Nets. Even when the team went to two straight NBA Finals and had all those post finals competitive years, the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena) was nowhere near 100% capacity. New Jersey just has terrible fans all around, but Nets fans are miles ahead of Devils fans.

That's pretty sad. thicon_sad.gif Why is their following so bad?

The team has been a perennial loser other than the run this decade, geographic proximity to New York, what The Admiral said about how it is cooler to be a Knicks fan, the fact that the arena is difficult to get to and New Jersey fans of any sport are all around terrible.

Say if fast, "Brooklyn Knights". It would instantly become the best name in american professional sports. Agh, that would be so cool.

Yes. Brooklynites, because that is what they would be. Clever, I guess, but I still have too many reservations about this strange Neo-Brooklyn fetishization. Maybe I just enjoyed Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer too much (everyone should at least read the first half about Good Old Brooklyn before he just follows around old guys), but Brooklyn was--operative word was--something really special, and to bestow its name on a sports team from the 'burbs residing in some opulent "mixed-use complex" which ends up evicting actual Brooklynites kind of belies the spirit of the borough to me. Then again, when you consider that a lot of people now associate Brooklyn with trust fund babies "slumming it" in gentrified warehouses, maybe this is more in the spirit of the borough than anything.

At least it's not egregiously feminine like Brooklynettes. There, I hope that suggestion has been ruined forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really hope JR Smith gets hurt when he tries getting off his high horse

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Oden had his first big night of the season, with many more to come. Dark horse All-Star.

In the process of shutting down possible dark horse all-star Joakim Noah (hes putting up the numbers at least (and the dunks))

I think Oden will be an important part of the Blazers future, theres a lot to like about Goden. He did a nice job last night.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Stephen A. Smith is reporting that Allen Iverson has retired.

#1: I didn't know Stephen A. Smith still covered sports.

#2: Welp, I guess the writing was on the wall if the Knicks decided that they didn't want him.

So long to one of the better players to ever step foot on a NBA court.

A.I. is retiring? "Did Tawana tell you that?"

I'm sure no one, especially not A.I. himself, figured he'd be going out like this. So long, Bubbachuck...pound for pound one of the toughest ballers to ever lace 'em up.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Can someone explain Phoenix' hot start, no pun intended?

1) Shaq's gone.

2) They've returned to the run n' gun style of offense that best suits their star players. Which is pretty much another way of saying Shaq's gone. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I still think that this retirement will end as soon as a playoff contender finally decides to take a flyer on him. So yeah, I think that this retirement is going to last as long as he doesn't have anybody asking for him to work.

Archived