NBA Season Thread

Gary

Durant's gonna be even better when he fills out. He's not done growing yet. Pretty exciting future down there in Oklahoma City, which unfortunately is not going to be universally embraced, owing to not unjustified bitterness over the Supersonics situation.

And don't look now, but the Bobcats are starting to figure it out. Gerald Wallace is really emerging.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who knows me around here knows that I haven't had much use for The NBA since the early 90's. That said, I decided to watch The Cavs play the Lakers last week because there was nothing else on. To my surprise, I actually found myself enjoying the game. So I decided to watch their next game against OKC. And once again I enjoyed watching it. So I decided to watch them play The Heat last night and damned if I didn't find myself enjoying the game yet again.

To make a long story short, I think I am slowly getting back into the NBA. So who should I be paying attention to etc? Outside the really big names, I have no idea who anyone is anymore. The last time I followed the NBA closely at all Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was still playing center for The Lakers. That should give you an idea of how long I've been away from the game. :D

Welcome (back) to the Dark Side. :P (Pun somewhat intended...)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Anyone who knows me around here knows that I haven't had much use for The NBA since the early 90's. That said, I decided to watch The Cavs play the Lakers last week because there was nothing else on. To my surprise, I actually found myself enjoying the game. So I decided to watch their next game against OKC. And once again I enjoyed watching it. So I decided to watch them play The Heat last night and damned if I didn't find myself enjoying the game yet again.

To make a long story short, I think I am slowly getting back into the NBA. So who should I be paying attention to etc? Outside the really big names, I have no idea who anyone is anymore. The last time I followed the NBA closely at all Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was still playing center for The Lakers. That should give you an idea of how long I've been away from the game. :D

Welcome (back) to the Dark Side. :P (Pun somewhat intended...)

It's good to be back. Turns out this LeBron guy is pretty good. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Welcome back to the NBA, infrared. I think everybody else has said it best, but there's really plenty to be excited about in the NBA right now, especially if you're a Cleveland fan. It's gonna be a fun year.

In other news, reports are coming out that Gilbert Arenas will be suspended for the rest of the season. Not much of a surprise there.

EDIT: Javaris Crittenton, the other guy in this gun situation, he also gets suspended for the rest of the year. I shouldn't have been surprised by that, but I was. Basketball-wise, it isn't much of a loss for the Wiz. PR wise, that's another story.

If you were a Phoenix Suns executive, what would you do with Amare Stadoumire?

Ask him to bring a gun to the locker room. That seems to be a good way to get his contract off the books.

(:P)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All-Star Reserves were leaked all over the web today...

This is just one source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/334338-leaked-nba-all-star-reserves-revealed

I guess all players are deserving, but there's definetly a few close calls.

Big surprises for me:

Randolph, Horford making it.

Billups, atleast one spur (manu, parker or duncan), jefferson, ellis not making it.

Great to see that Dikembe Mutombo is no longer the most recent player that the Atlanta Hawks drafted & became an All-Star while still in Atlanta. Now it's Al Horford. I figured that sooner or later it'd happen, & even though I figured Josh Smith would be the first, I'm still happy to see Horford got the nod. Hell, I'm just happy that Joe's gonna have familiar company when he goes to Dallas. :P

Also, Josh Smith got snubbed. I fully blame the fans for putting KG in when KG had been injured for most of the first half of this season & the end of the last. But hey, when you have a system where the 2010 version of Allen Iverson can make the team, & the 2010 version of Tracy McGrady nearly makes it, then that's what you have to go with. Can't wait until they tweak the voting for this thing.

Zach Randolph definitely deserves it, you dont think so? Look at his stats :shocked: Z-Bo is for real!

Also, KG, AI, and Al Horford i think should be replaced by Josh Smith David Lee and Jamison. Either way, most of the reserves are good choices.

Especially Derrick Rose. One of many to come!

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

This has just been a year in which the forwards have been playing at an abnormally high level. I'm guessing that the only reason why Lee & Jamison got snubbed was because their teams weren't all that good. Either way, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Like Rose, there's gonna be plenty of All-Star appearances for Lee, Smith, & Z-Bo in the future. They keep on progressing like this, they'll be shoo-ins.

Great to see that Dikembe Mutombo is no longer the most recent player that the Atlanta Hawks drafted & became an All-Star while still in Atlanta. Now it's Al Horford. I figured that sooner or later it'd happen, & even though I figured Josh Smith would be the first, I'm still happy to see Horford got the nod. Hell, I'm just happy that Joe's gonna have familiar company when he goes to Dallas. :P

Also, Josh Smith got snubbed. I fully blame the fans for putting KG in when KG had been injured for most of the first half of this season & the end of the last. But hey, when you have a system where the 2010 version of Allen Iverson can make the team, & the 2010 version of Tracy McGrady nearly makes it, then that's what you have to go with. Can't wait until they tweak the voting for this thing.

He never was. Mutombo was drafted by the Nuggets in '91. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

Damn, could've swore it was Dikembe...aw hell, if it wasn't him then just how far back does this go?

I guess it's off to the basketball-reference-mobile.

EDIT: Holy :censored:, it was Kevin Willis, drafted in 1984, made it to his one & only All-Star game in 1992. Wow.

For the East All-Stars the only players that I feel should be swapped are KG and Al Horford for David Lee and Josh Smith. I'm not sure how Horford got the choice over J. Smith, the only reason I see is that they needed to fill the reserve spot with a true center(and we know the lack of quality Centers in the East). I think the coaches in the West snubbed Monta Ellis and Chris "The Caveman" Kaman. Gasol is not deserving of an All-Star selection imo(but seeing the Lakers are #1 I guess they felt inclined to send more than 1 Laker). Nevertheless it should be a great game in Dallas.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

I cannot figure this team out. Everyone is onn Vinny's ass (myself included. still not fully behind him) after the 35 point debacle. Now, the Bulls have won 5 straight ON THE ROAD against good teams (suns, rockets, spurs, thunder, and now hornets). rose is absolutely taking over games, not tonight, but otherwise so. Over .500 and heading home, where things look good. Then again, this is the same team that blew a 35 point lead......my brain hurts :upside:

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

The Bulls are just wildly inconsistent. I would say that this is a sign of things to come (as far as the good play is concerned) but as long as they're still as young as they are & have VDN as a head coach, they're gonna have some weird games. Fortunately the Bulls have hit a smooth patch, surprisingly on the road. Who knows how long it will last, thought?

Also, the Hawks beat the Celtics 100-91 tonight, improving their record to 30-15 & sweeping the season series against the Celtics. Still not a rivalry because both teams have to win in order for it to be a rivalry, & obviously one side isn't holding up their part of the deal here. :P

Of course I'm not getting too excited because the Hawks are probably going to get annihilated by the Magic tomorrow night.

Archived