Ken Carbone article on fastcompany.com

santoleri3

Site doesn't load.

Edit: I just went to the site and searched for Ken Carbone. He redid the Redskins, Bucs and Pats (those were the worst 3 helmets according to him). The Pats helmet basically looks like those patriotic motorcycle helmets from like the 60's/70's.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I think a headdress would look better for the Chiefs, but it's a good idea for washington as well. Their current helmet is not good.

I've seen a mockup of that Chiefs helmet here somewhere (or something quite like it). Funny how he didn't mention Chicago or Green Bay, who both have very simple, yet bold designs.

I also liked his version of the Tampa Bay helmet, but would it have killed him to use the skull/crossbones/football logo?

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

world renowned designer or not, his ideas and designs are no better and in some cases (Pats) worse than anything

I've seen on here in the past 5 years. His are uninspired and a very good representation of why having a passion for something

helps when designing. It's clear he's not as ravenous as most of us on here and I think that's what has happened in

the world of sports design the past decade. Many of the larger corporate endeavors have been by people who are not knowledgeable about the

sport, the fans or have a passion. I know this first hand, the designers working on the NHL Edge and re-branding of some teams had no clue

about hockey, the heritage and what it meant to be dabbling in such an area. They were just good designers doing a job.

uninspiring. expected. bland.

The Redskins would work. I find their present design offensive. I also liked the spear design (I have a game-worn helmet from that set). For the Patriots, I think the old Ohio Glory design would have been much, much better.

And, did you see this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360206416785&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT? It is a Dolphins helmet that was created by an artist in an attempt to get the team to update their look.

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to add that I love his Patriots concept helmet. Absolutely love it. I just disagree with his statement that it would look great celebrating a touchdown. Totally wrong. I think it would look great celebrating the fact that you just jumped a motor cycle over 20 school bus'. Rock on Evil Kenievel!

The only one I could actually see being used is the Bucs... but it'd still be a huge downgrade from what they have now. The Redskins had potential, but the sloppy execution killed it. And the Patriots helmet looks like a Madden PC fan creation.

I agree with ebod. Sports logos are not corporate logos and people that aren't familiar with their idiosyncrasies should stop trying to design them. The fact that he thought the Bucs were in need of a redesign when they're almost universally considered one of the best helmets in the league shows how little this guy knows.

"Ah, based on the samurai helmet I was hoping for radical structural changes, particularly in the wake of Gladwell's recent article on the parallels between professional football and dog fighting, and new scientific findings that the sport is fundamentally incompatible with keeping the brain safe from lasting harm.

But it's so easy to punt on these hypothetical assignments, and just do something that looks cool or funny. You're a good man for not taking the easy way out, and approaching it as a serious challenge instead.

Everything you've done here looks good, and seems entirely realistic. But the enshrined sports of America embody the height of cultural conservatism, so these designs are probably beyond heresy. Bummer."

I like the comments section more then the article itself

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

Archived