Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

http://en.allexperts.com/q/College-Football-2792/ncaa-div-1-qualifications.htm

Aha, found some info on the subject of becoming D-1A/FBS football. The minimum average attendance for all home games looks to be 15,000:

"20.9.6.3 Football-Attendance Requirements. The institution annually shall average at least 15,000 in actual attendance for all home football games.

Yea... I was gonna say, it's 15,000. Playing at Union Park (I don't know or care what the shill name is) is a smart move for Nova... especially if they can pack the place, which shouldn't be all that hard. Temple's probably kicking themselves as to why they didn't think of it sooner. In fact, why does Temple even still play football... has Bill Cosby threatened to stop funneling money to the school or something?

It's the best reminder the school exists post John Chaney and the football team actually hasn't been craptacular the last year and a half, winning 9 games last year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think they will blow up so much as quietly disband and take up something more to their speed.

Shuffleboard looks promising.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...

The new Pac-12 to unveil division format next week. It looks to be a North/South split.

NORTH

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Utah

In the end, the Pac 12 went with the most obvious option. Now on to site selection for their championship game.

3 places I can think of are Glendale, Denver and Seattle

In the end, the Pac 12 went with the most obvious option. Now on to site selection for their championship game.

I would also think San Diego, San Fran (Candlestick), and Vegas (albeit a tad small for a venue) could also have outside considerations.

The new Pac-12 to unveil division format next week. It looks to be a North/South split.

NORTH

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Utah

The divisional format and site for the title game are items two and three in terms of importance. when the school presidents/chancellors meet next week the biggest issue they have to discuss and agree to is about how revenues are going to be shared. Voting to switch from an appearance-based model that favors USC and UCLA to an equal-distribution model is more important.

Keep in mind yesterday, the City of Pasadena approved $152M renovation of the Rose Bowl. It will expand club seats from 550 to 2,500. It would also widen up to 12 access tunnels at the end zones, double the number of concession stands and increase restrooms.

Plans for Rose Bowl Renovations

NORTH

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Utah

The divisional format and site for the title game are items two and three in terms of importance. when the school presidents/chancellors meet next week the biggest issue they have to discuss and agree to is about how revenues are going to be shared. Voting to switch from an appearance-based model that favors USC and UCLA to an equal-distribution model is more important.

Keep in mind yesterday, the City of Pasadena approved $152M renovation of the Rose Bowl. It will expand club seats from 550 to 2,500. It would also widen up to 12 access tunnels at the end zones, double the number of concession stands and increase restrooms.

Very true about the Rose Bowl, but I would think they avoid that as a host site, due to the fact that a Pac 12 champion would likely return to the Rose Bowl for the actual Tournament of Roses in the same stadium about a month later. That and the fact that it's already a current Pac 12 team's home site.

NORTH

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Utah

Very true about the Rose Bowl, but I would think they avoid that as a host site, due to the fact that a Pac 12 champion would likely return to the Rose Bowl for the actual Tournament of Roses in the same stadium about a month later. That and the fact that it's already a current Pac 12 team's home site.

While the Pac-10's headquarters are in Walnut Creek (East Bay), I do not think that Candlestick is an viable option compared to the newer facilities.

NORTH

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Utah

If anything, that's an incentive to make the Rose Bowl the PERMANENT host. Why not give your schools the advantage of having just played at the Rose Bowl? (Not that much of an advantage is needed to beat a Big Ten team in a bowl game nowadays.) But if I had to put money on it, I'd say they'll use the Big XII method of rotating the game between the NFL stadiums in its footprint.

Of course, the Bay Area makes the most geographic sense if/when the Niners new stadium ever gets built.

It's a good thing BYU is going independent next year, because with the way they are playing this year, no one would want them, not even your local pee-wee league. :P

I think it was Beano Cook on ESPN who said that the last time Utah State beat the Cougars, Brigham Young was the coach at BYU.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I would also think San Diego, San Fran (Candlestick), and Vegas (albeit a tad small for a venue) could also have outside considerations.

Vegas has NO chance because the Pac-12 doesn't have a school in Nevada.

And if were going to be held in San Francisco, it would be at AT&T Park. The same place where the Kraft Bowl (formerly the Emerald Bowl) is hosted.

6uXNWAo.png

With the Big12 going to 10 teams (and losing their CCG), I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry World in Dallas extend an invitation to the Pac 12. :)

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

With the Big12 going to 10 teams (and losing their CCG), I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry World in Dallas extend an invitation to the Pac 12. :)

Yeah right, only if a Texas based team were in the Pac 12...

I think Jerry Jones just bought the entire state of Colorado and is going to make it part of Texas in order to make this happen.

UyDgMWP.jpg

I can see why the California Quartet of USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal would rather not be split up. I think the Pac 10 needs to look at the BigTen and consider a model that tries to maintain rivalries. IMO, the zipper format is probably best.

Onto the ACC. If/When the day of the super-conference comes, do you see the ACC surviving? I think if the SEC expanded to 16 teams, they would easily take Florida State and Miami, and probably Clemson and Georgia Tech, too. By doing that, every team in the league would be guaranteed at least one in-state rival.

On the northern side, I could then see the BigTen making a play for Virginia Tech and maybe Boston College, but who else? Maryland, Virginia? I think if that day comes, Duke and North Carolina might join the BigEast to even FURTHER push that league's basketball dominance.

UyDgMWP.jpg