Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Could anyone post a summary of the changes that have either been made or are strongly rumored to be made in the future? I'd greatly appreciate that, I've been out of the loop far too long to try and catch up now.

Could anyone post a summary of the changes that have either been made or are strongly rumored to be made in the future? I'd greatly appreciate that, I've been out of the loop far too long to try and catch up now.

There are newspaper writers who have more information and access than we have.

SJ Mercury News Blog He as been with the majority of the news, so look to him now. The bloggers with Texas were better on the Big XII news in the summer.

TCU to the Big East is apparently happening today, according to the New York Daily News.

There is also a chance the football schools could eventually break away and form their own league.

I think this is a story within a story. But if there would be another conference, would they try to lure away prestigious football schools to join with the new conference?

I guess if the Dallas Cowboys can play in the NFC East, it's not a stretch to have Texas Christian as a member of the Big East.

I was kind of hoping the Big 12 would make a run at TCU to keep their conference afloat. Now what for them?

6uXNWAo.png

TCU to the Big East is apparently happening today, according to the New York Daily News.

There is also a chance the football schools could eventually break away and form their own league.

I think this is a story within a story. But if there would be another conference, would they try to lure away prestigious football schools to join with the new conference?

Which ones do you have in mind? The Big Ten and SEC teams aren't leaving, I think the ACC has a better TV deal than the Big East at present, and from a competition standpoint you'd be making a lateral move at best if you left the ACC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm a visual learner, so here's a quick representation of everything that's transpired so far.

When a team has moved, they are grayed out in their old conference and appear with their color in the new conference.

To my knowledge, Hawaii and TCU have not finalized their moves, but are expected to soon.

realign.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I guess if the Dallas Cowboys can play in the NFC East, it's not a stretch to have Texas Christian as a member of the Big East.

I was kind of hoping the Big 12 would make a run at TCU to keep their conference afloat. Now what for them?

Exactly. Why would TCU want to continue traveling across the country, now even farther and in the opposite direction, to play their conference games? Big 12 should've made a run at them and either Houston or Memphis to bring it back to 12 teams. You bring in TCU and Houston, all 6 Texas teams could form the South.

This is just another sign that it really is all about money. I mean it was kinda nuts when the Big East stretched all the way to Chicago (DePaul) and Milwaukee (Marquette), both basketball only, but now they go down into Texas? This isn't like the pros where the teams location really doesn't make a difference because their's set game times each week and they don't have classes during the week like the college kids do (not all of them are obviously gonna make the NFL, so some gotta get some kind of a degree). If they joined the Big 12, all of their conference games would be in the same time zone and division games in the same state. Their fans could travel a lot easier to the conference games. Plus, the Big 12 is far superior to the Big East in football, unquestionably.

Exactly. Why would TCU want to continue traveling across the country, now even farther and in the opposite direction, to play their conference games? Big 12 should've made a run at them and either Houston or Memphis to bring it back to 12 teams. You bring in TCU and Houston, all 6 Texas teams could form the South.

This is just another sign that it really is all about money. I mean it was kinda nuts when the Big East stretched all the way to Chicago (DePaul) and Milwaukee (Marquette), both basketball only, but now they go down into Texas? This isn't like the pros where the teams location really doesn't make a difference because their's set game times each week and they don't have classes during the week like the college kids do (not all of them are obviously gonna make the NFL, so some gotta get some kind of a degree). If they joined the Big 12, all of their conference games would be in the same time zone and division games in the same state. Their fans could travel a lot easier to the conference games. Plus, the Big 12 is far superior to the Big East in football, unquestionably.

You are both mistakenly assuming that an extant Big XII Conference is in Texas' long term plans (and at this point this is the only school whose opinion matters). Once major college football gets to see the power of this fully operational battle station Bevo TV, Texas will pull the plug on the Conference and maybe, or maybe not, (it depends) take only their most loyal of vassals with them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm a visual learner, so here's a quick representation of everything that's transpired so far.

When a team has moved, they are grayed out in their old conference and appear with their color in the new conference.

To my knowledge, Hawaii and TCU have not finalized their moves, but are expected to soon.

realign.png

As an FYI, you forgot Buffalo in the MAC but otherwise it looks right.

Can't say I'm surprised to see TCU bolting to the Big East, and well now the MWC is screwed.

And before any Boise fan comes in here complaining, get better academically and then maybe you can talk with the Pac 10.

6fQjS3M.png

And before any Boise fan comes in here complaining, get better academically and then maybe you can talk with the Pac 10.

Well, there's only one Boise State "fan" here, and he couldn't tell you a damn thing about the school's academics.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

realign.png

Not to mention the additions of Texas State-San Marcos and Texas-San Antonio to the WAC (Provided there is a WAC left after the MWC raids it to oblivion).

realign.png

Not to mention the additions of Texas State-San Marcos and Texas-San Antonio to the WAC (Provided there is a WAC left after the MWC raids it to oblivion).

I see Utah State and probably San Jose State moving over to the Mountain West, giving them a championship game. There's also the possibility of Montana, regularly one of the best FCS schools, usually plays for the Nat'l Championship, bumping up to FBS and joining the MWC. Still, if TCU, Utah and BYU were still in the conference, there'd be a legitimate argument to make the MWC the 7th BCS conference. But now, all it can do is to set itself up to be at the top of the non-BCS conference list for a long time to come, and there really isn't anything it can do in the future to improve on that... unless Texas does end up leaving and the MWC and whatever remains of the Big 12 combine to form what could be one helluva super conference.

Montana was invited to the WAC and declined

Oh no, not this condescending bullcrap.

hey it's tough to learn and read gooder like the kids at Arizona and Washington State :grin:

Thank you! It's not about academics, that's as much of a fraud as the idea of the "student athlete" in this day and age. It's about money. TCU's football budget is in the $20 million range, Boise's is in the $6 million range (and that's being generous).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Evidently both Notre Dame and Arkansas inquired about joining the Big 12 this summer. Notre Dame is steadfast on remaining Independent... unless Super Conferences begin to form. From a Big 12 fan, I'd say go after Arkansas and ND. Let Memphis replace Arkansas in the SEC. ^_^

Thank you! It's not about academics, that's as much of a fraud as the idea of the "student athlete" in this day and age. It's about money. TCU's football budget is in the $20 million range, Boise's is in the $6 million range (and that's being generous).

But yet it does have everything to do with academics. Conferences such as the Pacific-10(soon to be 12) and the Big Ten value their schools to be part of the academic forefront in this day and age.

The fans of Pac-10 and Big Ten schools (troublingly, not necessarily alumni) jerk themselves off over the Academic Forefront far more than the schools do, which just want more money.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫