The Curse of the Monochrome in the NFL?

vercetti

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only "curse" is that you like idiots (see Bills and Seahawks).

This. Wearing monochrome won't determine the outcome of the game, but it will make you look ridiculous.

For the record I'm not a fan of all-white uniforms either.

I remember Ricky Williams ran for 200 Yards in Monochrome Teal for the Dolphins in 2003 on MNF against the Bears.

I'm pretty sure a Win and 200 Yards is a big Jinx, for the other team.

I wish they wore them again, I really liked them. It looked great. Once just simply wasn't enough.

82893846.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548EA627FAC2C24829DEF088CC83136361C5ED4FCD84DF038A3

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Redskins should bring back gold pants and wear them at home and on the road. Well, REALLY what they should do is bring back these full time:

rgardnerWas.jpg

I find that teams that have one color pants for home/road (that isn't the color of either jersey) are the best looking. This includes the Steelers, Giants, Saints and Rams (when they wear gold pants).

Those unis are a thing of beauty. My only gripe is the tiny spear logo on the sleeves. They need to make it as big as the one of the helmet and have it circle around the sleeve, then it would be perfect. The Seahawks have a similar thing going on with their bird logo on the sleeve. Its way too small as well. I don't know why its so small, but it looks terrible.

As far as psychological effects, about the only uni-related one that ever made sense to me was not wearing white at home. A part, however small, of home-field advantage is making the other guy wear what he usually wears on the road. Has it ever influenced the outcome of a game? No, but if I were the decision-maker I'd still always wear the team color uni at home.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Anyone who truly thinks that wearing monochrome has any impact on a team's performance is a complete idiot.

Maybe you could make a case that just wearing anything that isn't the normal outfit would have a psychological effect on a player, but even that is a stretch, and a professional athlete should not be able to be phased by wearing a "special" uniform for a "big game".

In all seriousness, wearing a uniform that you are not familiar with can mess with your head. Sports, especially football, are all about routine. You mess up the routine and you can mess up the team. I know it sounds crazy but it does happen. Are the uniforms actually responsible? Of course not but never underestimate the psychological effect of throwing something new into an established routine. An uncomfortable player is not going to perform at peak level.

Like I said, I can sorta buy this, but I'd like to think that after warmups, the weird feeling of being out of routine should go away and it shouldn't be a big deal.

The problem is that teams treat some games as bigger than other games - like when a team is playing their "arch rival" on prime time, and they wear a special uniform, and they have special promotions for the fans (crap like blackouts, etc.) It could have a subconscious impact on the players - like if they're playing in just their regular uniforms, it's not an important game, so they won't be as up for it. Again, I don't really feel like that's even more than a .00000001% factor, but these two scenarios are the only way I'll buy that a different (monochrome in this case) uniform has any impact on performance.

I still stand by my statement that it's stupid to believe in uniform jinxes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Anyone who truly thinks that wearing monochrome has any impact on a team's performance is a complete idiot.

Maybe you could make a case that just wearing anything that isn't the normal outfit would have a psychological effect on a player, but even that is a stretch, and a professional athlete should not be able to be phased by wearing a "special" uniform for a "big game".

In all seriousness, wearing a uniform that you are not familiar with can mess with your head. Sports, especially football, are all about routine. You mess up the routine and you can mess up the team. I know it sounds crazy but it does happen. Are the uniforms actually responsible? Of course not but never underestimate the psychological effect of throwing something new into an established routine. An uncomfortable player is not going to perform at peak level.

Like I said, I can sorta buy this, but I'd like to think that after warmups, the weird feeling of being out of routine should go away and it shouldn't be a big deal.

The problem is that teams treat some games as bigger than other games - like when a team is playing their "arch rival" on prime time, and they wear a special uniform, and they have special promotions for the fans (crap like blackouts, etc.) It could have a subconscious impact on the players - like if they're playing in just their regular uniforms, it's not an important game, so they won't be as up for it. Again, I don't really feel like that's even more than a .00000001% factor, but these two scenarios are the only way I'll buy that a different (monochrome in this case) uniform has any impact on performance.

I agree with that statement. There's nothing supernatural going on when a team loses in a certain uniform.

BB52Big.jpg

If we are going to get into what I call "Ridiculous Sports Psychology" then we may also bring up the whole "Teams Wearing Red have a winning advantage" study they did recently.

I personally think its all based on coincidence. I mean c'mon, that study had the New England Patriots as an example of a team who wears red winning a championship...when the only red they wear (outside of small amounts of red trim) are their facemasks. So are you telling me that facemasks won them the Super Bowl???? LOL! Pa-leease. Not to mention the fact that the number of professional teams that have some kind of red in their color scheme is so common that it makes the probability of having a team wearing red winning a championship very high.

I know I'm ranting here, but my point is that these "theories" are heavily based on coincidence in my opinion as opposed to any real fact. To say that a uniform has any real psychological effect on performance sounds great in theory, but I just don't buy it. I might buy the idea that brighter colors allow a player to see his teammates better and therefore helps performance in that manner. But to say that a color or a uniform combo has a certain psychological advantage in terms of confidence or lack there of is hog wash.

I know I'm ranting here, but my point is that these "theories" are heavily based on coincidence in my opinion as opposed to any real fact. To say that a uniform has any real psychological effect on performance sounds great in theory, but I just don't buy it. I might buy the idea that brighter colors allow a player to see his teammates better and therefore helps performance in that manner. But to say that a color or a uniform combo has a certain psychological advantage in terms of confidence or lack there of is hog wash.

I'm not saying a different uniform has a psychological effect because of the colors or look. I'm saying that a uniform that doesn't fit or feel right will mess with a player's head. Any break in the normal routine of an athlete can have a effect. Am I saying it always happens? Of course not. My entire point was simply that we can't write off the possibility that a break in routine can, not will, but can effect the way a player plays the game. New jerseys, new pants, new helmets, you name it, are all things that can mess up a routine.

Being a former baseball player myself, I can tell you that baseball players are as superstitious as they come. If a superstition is broken there are no supernatural forces at work that make things go differently. But, the idea of a superstition being broken can and does get in a player's head. If The New Orleans Saints get it in their heads that they don't play well when they wear the all black uniforms then guess what? The Saints are not going to play well in those uniforms. Don't believe it all you want but some things are true whether you believe them or not.

It ain't brain surgery and it damned sure isn't magic. It's simple psychology.

BB52Big.jpg

Sports, as much as anything in life, are influenced heavily by superstition. So, even though it may not make sense, I believe there is a big correlation between what a team wears and how it performs. Otherwise, we might as well have teams play in black vs white. Even at that, if a team played really well in white and then stunk it up while wearing black, it would only make sense that a number of the players would want to wear white instead of black next time out. Human nature.

As designers, we make our livings creating a perception of things. To think that that can not carry over into how a team performs while wearing a certain uniform is ignoring an important part of the human psyche.

Seahawks--they don this for years, I know, but they did lose superbowl XL, to pro-Steeler officials, but still....

This is a great example of a conspiracy against Monochromes in the No Fun League. While I can say that the Seahawks are the only team that looks good in all blue, I disagree that they are a jinx or curse. There are numberous factors as to why my favourite team is in a low cycle for the time being.

Seahawks--they don this for years, I know, but they did lose superbowl XL, to pro-Steeler officials, but still....

This is a great example of a conspiracy against Monochromes in the No Fun League. While I can say that the Seahawks are the only team that looks good in all blue, I disagree that they are a jinx or curse. There are numberous factors as to why my favourite team is in a low cycle for the time being.

Oh please, get over it :rolleyes: The Seahawks would have had a real chance to win that game had they not played some of the most uninspired football I've ever seen at the pro level. Also, it would've helped if Mike Holmgren had taken a basic clock management class before the game. If you want someone to blame for the Steelers win in Super Bowl XL blame the Seahawks, not the officials.

Seahawks--they don this for years, I know, but they did lose superbowl XL, to a great Steelers team, but still....

Oh please, get over it :rolleyes: The Seahawks would have had a real chance to win that game had they not played some of the most uninspired football I've ever seen at the pro level. Also, it would've helped if Mike Holmgren had taken a basic clock management class before the game. If you want someone to blame for the Steelers win in Super Bowl XL blame the Seahawks, not the officials.

Oh, I would LOVE to be able to get over it! I agree that the 'Hawks themselves missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience, just don't tell me the Steelers "beat" them.

Ok, the Seahawks beat themselves by failing to show up for the biggest game of their lives, and because Mike Holmgren couldn't manage a clock successfully to save his life that night.

Thanks! Don't forget the numerous questionable calls by the officials that day too... <_<

Seahawks--they don this for years, I know, but they did lose superbowl XL, to a great Steelers team, but still....

Oh, I would LOVE to be able to get over it! I agree that the 'Hawks themselves missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience, just don't tell me the Steelers "beat" them.

I'm not a big conspiracy theorist and didn't have a horse in that race, but "after further review" there were some very questionable/ticky-tack calls in that game. Throw in the whole "Bus goes home for one last shot at the Super Bowl" angle and even to objective observers it just starts smelly a little fishy. I can only imagine how Seahawks fans feel.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

While I can say that the Seahawks are the only team that looks good in all blue...

Sure you can say that. You're wrong but you can still say it.

The Seahawks look like depression come to life in those abysmal looking things. It's always the little things. If the Seahawks wear white pants instead of the all blue they from one of the worst uniforms in football to one of the best "new look" uniforms.

BB52Big.jpg

While I can say that the Seahawks are the only team that looks good in all blue...

Sure you can say that. You're wrong but you can still say it.

The Seahawks look like depression come to life in those abysmal looking things. It's always the little things. If the Seahawks wear white pants instead of the all blue they from one of the worst uniforms in football to one of the best "new look" uniforms.

*sighs*

Are we really going to have to get into this again? I'm trying to have a relaxing evening here...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived