The Curse of the Monochrome in the NFL?

vercetti

Hey Everybody, this topic is basically a debate on whether or not the monochrome uniform set for nfl teams is a jinx or not.

Ok So I have a few examples and you guys add experiences and other input.

Its not very consistent, but I noticed that most of the times that a team busts out the monochrome, most likely on special occasions like the Saints did for thur. against the Cowboys, they seem to get a bad loss most of the time.

Seahawks--they don this for years, I know, but they did lose superbowl XL, to a great Steelers team, but still....

Bears--Yeah as a Bears fan we had some low moments 1. when we played at Urbana Champaign against the pack

2. week 17 of our 2006 super bowl run..rex had new years plans that made him lose focus

Redskins--Thay started this year I think, but did they score like a total of 16 pts between those two games they wore that set

Saints- I guess it just so happened that they wore all black and got the first lost of the year against an up and down dallas team.

Chargers wore all navy when they had thier old set I think--Anybody remember?

Eagles used to get beatdown in all green years ago I think.

Vikings and Cards I have no proof...

Patroits did all navy once against the pack in Boston I think.

Bengals, Bills, Ravens, Rams, Titans' all navy, Dolphins' all teal, an exception?

the Jets have had hard luck, but I dont know.

So you guys have any memorible situations where the solid color set was a solid bust?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everybody, this topic is basically a debate on whether or not the monochrome uniform set for nfl teams is a jinx or not.

Its not very consistent, but I noticed that most of the times that a team busts out the monochrome, most likely on special occasions like the Saints did for thur. against the Cowboys, they seem to get a bad loss most of the time.

Seahawks--they don this for years, I know, but they did lose superbowl XL, to a great Steelers team, but still....

Bears--Yeah as a Bears fan we had some low moments 1. when we played at Urbana Champaign against the pack

2. week 17 of our 2006 super bowl run..rex had new years plans that made him lose focus

That was actually a Saturday Night game in New Orleans.

What do you consider all White unis?

That was actually a Saturday Night game in New Orleans.

What do you consider all White unis?

Oh yeah My mistake on the saints.

All white is good, but its not as rare as it used to be in recent years.

oh and how have the texans been doing in all red or all navy?

I can't cite their exact record but it's my impression that the Saints have won a lot more than they've lost in the all-black unis. Doesn't mean I like 'em but they've been pretty successful wearing them. Besides, I think the way the team plays has a lot more to do with winning and losing than what uni they have on.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Redskins would look less ghastly in monochrome if they would wear the proper (white) socks with the red pants...but I've pretty much given up on them wearing their uniforms as they were intended to be worn.

Redskins should bring back gold pants and wear them at home and on the road. Well, REALLY what they should do is bring back these full time:

rgardnerWas.jpg

I find that teams that have one color pants for home/road (that isn't the color of either jersey) are the best looking. This includes the Steelers, Giants, Saints and Rams (when they wear gold pants).

Anyone who truly thinks that wearing monochrome has any impact on a team's performance is a complete idiot.

Maybe you could make a case that just wearing anything that isn't the normal outfit would have a psychological effect on a player, but even that is a stretch, and a professional athlete should not be able to be phased by wearing a "special" uniform for a "big game".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Anyone who truly thinks that wearing monochrome has any impact on a team's performance is a complete idiot.

Maybe you could make a case that just wearing anything that isn't the normal outfit would have a psychological effect on a player, but even that is a stretch, and a professional athlete should not be able to be phased by wearing a "special" uniform for a "big game".

Agreed. I'm so sick of people blaming what jersey or what uni combo a team wears on their win/loss record. It's so asinine.

That's what Paul Lukas thinks. Any new or odd jersey combo, a team loses, and it's the jerseys fault. I don't get that thinking at all. Like the Seahawks never wearing the lime green again because they lose in them? Stupid.

2ly2w09.jpg

The Texans are absolutely cursed with the monochrome this year and in the past. They're 7-7 with losses:

All white (they've worn all-white for every home opener since 2005) vs NY Jets --> LOSS

All red vs Jags --> LOSS

All blue vs Colts (they wear all blue for every home/away game vs Indy) --> LOSS x 2

Agreed. I'm so sick of people blaming what jersey or what uni combo a team wears on their win/loss record. It's so asinine.

That's what Paul Lukas thinks. Any new or odd jersey combo, a team loses, and it's the jerseys fault. I don't get that thinking at all. Like the Seahawks never wearing the lime green again because they lose in them? Stupid.

I agree with you both, but then again there is something to be said when a team changes it's look. The Bucs, Bengals in the NFL and the Twins, Braves in MLB seemed to make the Super Bowl and WS after changing their look. BUT...it is always the player in the UNI not the UNI that wins.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The Ravens have enjoyed success with the all-black uniform.

Ed Reed set the NFL record for the longest interception return for a TD (106 yards) in 2004 wearing the all-black. In 2005, they beat the Packers 48-3 in the largest blowout in Monday Night Football. On the other hand, the Ravens wore all-black when the lost to the Patriots in the final minute in 2007 then wore it the following week and lost badly to the Colts. That was the last time the Ravens wore all-black as they now have a black-white combo.

Go Ravens! Beat the Steelers!

The Cardinals completely kicked Viking butt in all-Red, and then promptly fell apart the next week against the 49ers in all-White.

FWIW.

Interesting parallel to that...the very last game of the season prior to the AZ Cards' identity revamp (2003?), they were also in all red. Their opponent? The Minnesota Vikings. The Cardinals also won that game, which (if I remember straight) kicked the Vikings' butts out of the playoffs that season.

Also, a few seasons ago, the Jaguars went all-black against both the Steelers and Giants. Won both games. I believe this was in '05 or '06...but that also coincided with a nice winning streak in all-black. (So maybe that's why Wayne Weaver decided to overload on all the black?? :wacko: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In all seriousness, wearing a uniform that you are not familiar with can mess with your head. Sports, especially football, are all about routine. You mess up the routine and you can mess up the team. I know it sounds crazy but it does happen. Are the uniforms actually responsible? Of course not but never underestimate the psychological effect of throwing something new into an established routine. An uncomfortable player is not going to perform at peak level.

BB52Big.jpg

The Texans are absolutely cursed with the monochrome this year and in the past. They're 7-7 with losses:

All white (they've worn all-white for every home opener since 2005) vs NY Jets --> LOSS

All red vs Jags --> LOSS

All blue vs Colts (they wear all blue for every home/away game vs Indy) --> LOSS x 2

In the past though, they've had success in the all-blue and all-red. They beat the Colts in all-blue for their only win over them and the all-red was 2- or 3-0 before this year, including a prime time win. They've never won in the all-whites, I think.

But the monochrome thing is way overblown, like Lukas said.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

In all seriousness, wearing a uniform that you are not familiar with can mess with your head. Sports, especially football, are all about routine. You mess up the routine and you can mess up the team. I know it sounds crazy but it does happen. Are the uniforms actually responsible? Of course not but never underestimate the psychological effect of throwing something new into an established routine. An uncomfortable player is not going to perform at peak level.

See, and from my perspective, I think that it would psyche you up. Think about it: when do feel most on your game? When you have some fresh, new gear. There's that added layer of excitement, that "special uniforms for a special game" mentality. So I'd say it's about even as far as uniforms psyching out guys versus psyching them up.

As for the main question of this thread, the only curse associated with monochromes (helmet, jersey, pants), is that we as fans are forced to see them being worn.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Eagles used to get beatdown in all green years ago I think.

They have worn them twice that I can even remember...

November 10, 1997 - Monday Night Football vs. 49ers: Lost, 24-12.

December 15, 2002 - Last regular season game at the Vet vs. Redskins: Won, 34-21

241789.jpg

I wish they'd wear these again, at least instead of the hideous black top unis.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Archived