2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

A #7 pick isn't a really steal.

I have a problem with taking Bradford first because he's not the best player available, and you should always draft the best player available with a first overall pick. That player is Suh, not Bradford, and so they are doing themselves a disservice.

So then if you really need a QB, and feel that you can get acceptable players on the D line elsewhere in the draft or through FA, but you don't feel that you can get a comparable QB (assuming you feel that he's a guy that will develop into a 10-year starter), but you're in the #1 slot, what do you do? I guess the obvious answer is trade down, but you can't trade down more than 3 or 4 picks, and are those teams really going to make it worth your trouble? I think it's more than just going with the best player. It's going with the best player for you. If we're talking about a guy who otherwise wouldn't be drafted until 25, then yeah - you have to move. But otherwise, I don't think they can be criticized too much. Of course, this is all based on their projections - not yours or mine.

I personally think that the ironic part of all of this is that the Rams will likely find themselves in the position to theoretically draft Jake Locker or Ryan Mallet, who strike me as being just as good as Bradford for all intents and purposes. Hopefully there will be a once in a generation defensive tackle lying around in 2011 as well. Probably not though.

Unfortunately, this current Rams front office really, really sucks in terms of projecting and anticipating the future. Case in point: all of the offseason eggs were put into the "there will be a CBA, salary cap, and about 200 more UFAs" basket for this year, when just about every indication from about say...last summer was that said things were not going to come to pass.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These "McNabb" stories are ridiculous. ESPN can't go five minutes without mentioning McNabb, there's McNabb updates on the ticker, it's all over their website, etc. THERE'S NO STORY! As far as the FACTS go, the team has said that they're listening to offers. That's about it. Yes, there may be more going on, but the team has said that they haven't received offers, the teams that ESPN is reporting say that they haven't made offers, and at least one story (the Rams story - which in fairness, was broken by an over zealous "new and trying to make an impression in Philly" beat writer) was completely false. I can't stand McNabb, and along with a lot of fans can't wait until he goes, but this reporting is disgusting. If they don't trade him, how can he come back now? All teams at least consider moving every player. There may be more in this case than the average case, but say that they never were really serious about trading him - maybe they just wanted to see if some idiot would give them two #1s or something. You listen to ESPN, and you'd think that a trade was just seconds away, when there is absolutely nothing going on. Even ESPN has said that no offers have been made, and the Eagles haven't even met to figure out what they want to do moving forward.

ESPN has basically made it so that he can't come back, regardless of the team's intentions. If I'm the Eagles FO, I'm pissed. Yes, the fans also have made it so that he can't really come back, but in the end, we're not a factor in their decision. He's been humiliated (maybe strong word, but I think it fits) publicly by the world wide leader.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Superficially, I think there is a good case that Oakland is a decent place for McNabb from all parties, but you still have to look at McNabb as a guy with one year left on his contract. Would it really be a good deal for Oakland to give up a decent draft pick for McNabb, given he might only be around for a year? But then Al Davis is the kind of guy who might just do a crazy thing like giving up the house to get McNabb.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Eagles supposedly have stopped seeking a trade partner for Michael Vick, and will pay his bonus and bring him back next year. He'll make around 5m, so it's insane that they're doing this for him to be the third stringer again. This only makes sense if they plan on fully integrating him into the offense, which can only happen if Kevin Kolb is the starting QB. This makes it look more likely that they're going to dump McNabb.

That being said, I still don't see where McNabb is going to go at this point. Unless Al Davis is as dumb as we all think he is, there just isn't an eligible suitor left out there. I'm really thinking that a team who usually handles these things very well has totally effed themselves here. They're going to have a humiliated McNabb playing for a city that doesn't want him, in front of fans who will boo him, starting in front of a disgruntled Kevin Kolb, and preventing an even more disgruntled Michael Vick from getting any PT.

Here's hoping someone goes full blown retard and makes a deal for him. SF maybe? Oakland please? Not sure who else makes even a little bit of sense at this point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

These "McNabb" stories are ridiculous. ESPN can't go five minutes without mentioning McNabb, there's McNabb updates on the ticker, it's all over their website, etc. THERE'S NO STORY! As far as the FACTS go, the team has said that they're listening to offers. That's about it. Yes, there may be more going on, but the team has said that they haven't received offers, the teams that ESPN is reporting say that they haven't made offers, and at least one story (the Rams story - which in fairness, was broken by an over zealous "new and trying to make an impression in Philly" beat writer) was completely false. I can't stand McNabb, and along with a lot of fans can't wait until he goes, but this reporting is disgusting. If they don't trade him, how can he come back now? All teams at least consider moving every player. There may be more in this case than the average case, but say that they never were really serious about trading him - maybe they just wanted to see if some idiot would give them two #1s or something. You listen to ESPN, and you'd think that a trade was just seconds away, when there is absolutely nothing going on. Even ESPN has said that no offers have been made, and the Eagles haven't even met to figure out what they want to do moving forward.

ESPN has basically made it so that he can't come back, regardless of the team's intentions. If I'm the Eagles FO, I'm pissed. Yes, the fans also have made it so that he can't really come back, but in the end, we're not a factor in their decision. He's been humiliated (maybe strong word, but I think it fits) publicly by the world wide leader.

And people wonder why so many of us around here despise ESPN's "news" division or whatever it is you want to call the stuff they do outside broadcasting live sporting events. They're a joke.

BB52Big.jpg

And people wonder why so many of us around here despise ESPN's "news" division or whatever it is you want to call the stuff they do outside broadcasting live sporting events. They're a joke.

1-I think that in the NFL, fans think too little of their starting QB (on field) unless their name is Petyon, Drew, or Tom. I think that even Rivers gets flack here in the west as we know the heck the still not retired QB from Kiln, MS gets. That said, McNabb is the NFL version of Dirk Nowitzki; the face of the franchise, been successful the vast majority of time he has been the face; many playoff appearances with deep runs; one loss in their lone title appearance; still under appreciated league wide but even more locally.

2-Attempts/Game, McNabb has been forced to throw more than even Peyton. Careerwise, while Peyton has a better completion % (65/59) and TD (366/210), Manning has 81 more picks. Plus, there were the pre-TO years which everyons said, "If only he has a #1 WR..."

3-Jay Glazer is tweeting more about the UFC than the NFL in the last two weeks, thus ESPN has little competition. That is not their fault. Jason La Canfora can only go so far since while he has sources from years in the business, he is essentially an employee of the league.

4-Unless sports fans are like me and read National Football Post and Pro Football Talk bookmarked, then they do not realize that this story still has legs. Andrew Brandt tells the bonus factors which the current McNabb deal has in it and the pros/cons of a trade.

1-I think that in the NFL, fans think too little of their starting QB (on field) unless their name is Petyon, Drew, or Tom. I think that even Rivers gets flack here in the west as we know the heck the still not retired QB from Kiln, MS gets. That said, McNabb is the NFL version of Dirk Nowitzki; the face of the franchise, been successful the vast majority of time he has been the face; many playoff appearances with deep runs; one loss in their lone title appearance; still under appreciated league wide but even more locally.

2-Attempts/Game, McNabb has been forced to throw more than even Peyton. Careerwise, while Peyton has a better completion % (65/59) and TD (366/210), Manning has 81 more picks. Plus, there were the pre-TO years which everyons said, "If only he has a #1 WR..."

3-Jay Glazer is tweeting more about the UFC than the NFL in the last two weeks, thus ESPN has little competition. That is not their fault. Jason La Canfora can only go so far since while he has sources from years in the business, he is essentially an employee of the league.

4-Unless sports fans are like me and read National Football Post and Pro Football Talk bookmarked, then they do not realize that this story still has legs. Andrew Brandt tells the bonus factors which the current McNabb deal has in it and the pros/cons of a trade.

1. One loss in his lone title appearance, 4 losses in his other semi final appearances (3 as the favorite.) He threw up during crunch time in that one title appearance, and threw three picks. He did accomplish a lot, and was certainly appreciated. This isn't then. Nobody in New York thinks that Joe Namath should be the starting QB there, and he accomplished more than McNabb. Why? because he can't get it done. Neither can McNabb. Also, he's been the National face of the franchise. He's the face as portrayed by the team, and shown through the National media. Locally, I wouldn't say that he was in the top 3 or 4 most popular players at any time of his career other than the first few years, where (credit where it's due) he carried the team.

2. Are you arguing that McNabb is better than Peyton? If so, I'm not sure what to say. If not, I'll argue that McNabb throws more screen passes than any other QB (and botches most of those), and the Eagles offense is >60% pass. He doesn't throw picks (except when they matter most), but that's because he just doesn't throw some times. He is scared of taking chances, and holds on to the ball too long, and gets sacked, or dumps to the fullback instead of the wide open receiver. Some of the analysts from NFL films were on one of the local sports radio stations lately (can't remember which one) and said that after analyzing game film for all teams, they felt that McNabb left more plays on the field than any other "good" QB. He either doesn't see open guys, or is afraid to thread it in there, or "freezes". The fact that you're using Peyton's numbers vs. McNabb's just shows you how meaningless numbers are. I don't think a person alive would see that McNabb has thrown fewer picks and decide that he's the better player.

3. don't know who those people are.

4. I think that living in the market where all of this is happening - a big market, with 2 big time sports radio stations, 2 newspapers with multiple beat writers, Comcast home base, and all the other local coverage would be good enough to cover anything that would be on any internet blogs. There's nothing that you're reading that hasn't been beaten to death here. The guy from National Football Post was on the radio today, and actually said that his bet was that McNabb is back next year.

1. One loss in his lone title appearance, 4 losses in his other semi final appearances (3 as the favorite.) He threw up during crunch time in that one title appearance, and threw three picks. He did accomplish a lot, and was certainly appreciated. This isn't then. Nobody in New York thinks that Joe Namath should be the starting QB there, and he accomplished more than McNabb. Why? because he can't get it done. Neither can McNabb. Also, he's been the National face of the franchise. He's the face as portrayed by the team, and shown through the National media. Locally, I wouldn't say that he was in the top 3 or 4 most popular players at any time of his career other than the first few years, where (credit where it's due) he carried the team.

2. Are you arguing that McNabb is better than Peyton? If so, I'm not sure what to say. If not, I'll argue that McNabb throws more screen passes than any other QB (and botches most of those), and the Eagles offense is >60% pass. He doesn't throw picks (except when they matter most), but that's because he just doesn't throw some times. He is scared of taking chances, and holds on to the ball too long, and gets sacked, or dumps to the fullback instead of the wide open receiver. Some of the analysts from NFL films were on one of the local sports radio stations lately (can't remember which one) and said that after analyzing game film for all teams, they felt that McNabb left more plays on the field than any other "good" QB. He either doesn't see open guys, or is afraid to thread it in there, or "freezes". The fact that you're using Peyton's numbers vs. McNabb's just shows you how meaningless numbers are. I don't think a person alive would see that McNabb has thrown fewer picks and decide that he's the better player.

4. I think that living in the market where all of this is happening - a big market, with 2 big time sports radio stations, 2 newspapers with multiple beat writers, Comcast home base, and all the other local coverage would be good enough to cover anything that would be on any internet blogs. There's nothing that you're reading that hasn't been beaten to death here. The guy from National Football Post was on the radio today, and actually said that his bet was that McNabb is back next year.

RE:1 - Is it the QB, or is it the coach (or both)? 9/10 times, the coach goes in all major sport in North America, the talent stays. McNabb has never had the full slate of offensive talent as Manning, the OL stability as Favre/Rogers (in GB) or Rivers in SD.

RE:2 - I was jest telling you something which you already know, but other posters here may not realize...that the Andy Reid offense hates to run the ball! His QB is forced to throw even when there are times which a run is usually called. It is as if Reid grabbed the Walsh-stolen, Paul Brown Offense, then ripped off the Bill Walsh made label of "West Coast Offense", took out 50% of the running plays, and added more pass formations.

RE:3 - Jay Glazer is the NFL on FOX/FOX Sports NFL "insider". Jason La Canfora is a former NFL beat writer (Redskins for 10 years), who replaced Adam Schefter on NFLN and NFL.com.

I think that Philly fans have this as their lasting image of McNabb and would like to see him go.

EDIT: I think that this is a better video.

McNabb's walk into Cowboys Stadium during the Wildcard Game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=p4lL4WKxRCk&feature=related

RE:1 - Is it the QB, or is it the coach (or both)? 9/10 times, the coach goes in all major sport in North America, the talent stays. McNabb has never had the full slate of offensive talent as Manning, the OL stability as Favre/Rogers (in GB) or Rivers in SD.

RE:2 - I was jest telling you something which you already know, but other posters here may not realize...that the Andy Reid offense hates to run the ball! His QB is forced to throw even when there are times which a run is usually called. It is as if Reid grabbed the Walsh-stolen, Paul Brown Offense, then ripped off the Bill Walsh made label of "West Coast Offense", took out 50% of the running plays, and added more pass formations.

RE:3 - Jay Glazer is the NFL on FOX/FOX Sports NFL "insider". Jason La Canfora is a former NFL beat writer (Redskins for 10 years), who replaced Adam Schefter on NFLN and NFL.com.

I think that Philly fans have this as their lasting image of McNabb and would like to see him go.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

1. Oh the coach isn't innocent in all of this. I'd love to have seen McNabb under a different coach. Of course, I'd also love to see a QB who can actually run this system under Reid. I hate Reid. More people hate Reid than McNabb. But he's not going, no matter what, so it's pointless to bitch about him.

You are wrong about OL stability. Up until this season, he's had remarkable stability there. The same tackles for his entire career, only two centers, one guard mostly the same (and a pro bowler at that, despite his insanity), and very good players on the other side. The Eagles line was consistently an extremely above average line for his entire career up until 2009.

As for offensive talent, you're mostly right, though Westbrook was pretty damn good, their tight ends were usually above average (up until the LJ Smith era), and he did have TO for a year (and then threw up in the SB, while TO played on a broken leg.) He had Stallworth (when he wasn't hurt) (and then Jeff Garcia lead the team into the playoffs), and then recently, DeShawn and Maclin (yes, very young I'll admit.) It is a crime that they didn't give him anyone better than Torrence Small, Charles Johnson, Na Brown, Todd Pinkston, and James Thrash though. I'll concede that point. Those were the years I was referring to when he carried the team on his back. Hell - he took them to the playoffs with Stanley Pritchet and Darnell Autry in the backfield. Back then, he could actually run, and improvise a little bit. Nobody has ever said that he wasn't very good... and that he's still not at least good now.

They're moot points though - we're not arguing about what "could have been". A team's management can't think that way. It's about "what will be". And "what will be" isn't going to ever be a championship here with McNabb.

2. Reid is stubborn, jams square pegs into round holes. He can't manage a clock. He's the most arrogant and stubborn coach this side of Mike Martz. But like I said, he's never leaving.

3. Oh, OK.

4. Again, you're completely wrong. If this was the first offseason that this talk was happening, maybe your suggestion would have some merit. But it's not. You don't hear the interviews (throwing teammates under the buss, passing the blame, etc.), nor scrutinize his play the same way that locals do (that applies for any player in any city, not just Phila.), nor know all of the other factors of the situation (the young players stating that they have better on-field rapport with Kolb, etc.) that people in the affected market do. I really don't think you're in a position to judge what's on the mind of your typical Eagles fan.

Browns DT Shaun Rogers is an idiot. No, this is not an April Fools' joke.

Seriously, how dumb do you have to be to attempt to bring a loaded gun onto a commercial airplane? Wow.

The Bengals botched signing of Rogers gets better almost every day. And it's good to read a refreshing post in what has become the Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback Situation Thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=p4lL4WKxRCk&feature=related

Wow...just wow. Hadn't seen that. When Michael Vick looks like the calm, confident leader of a playoff team coming out and the starter looks like...what? I don't even know. Good grief. :wacko:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

You see? He seems to have no idea how his actions alienate the players he's supposedly "leading" (though he'll waste no opportunity to tell you in an interview that he is the "leader".)

Anyway, in non-McNabb news (not that there's been any real McNabb news...)

The Eagles and Browns are close to a trade that would send Sheldon Brown and Chris Gokong to Cleveland for some combo of picks and a player.

This is disappointing, but not surprising. Sheldon is great. He's a great corner, one of the hardest hitters in the league (how many corners can lay people out like him?), and a guy that will eventually move to safety and be a pro-bowler. But, he's been unhappy with his contract since they signed Asante Samuel, and more often than not, if you bitch to Andy Reid / Joe Banner about your deal, you're OUT.

Gokong is interesting. He's really a guy who should be playing on the line, not a LB. That's what he did in college. If Cleveland plays a 3-4, and can line him up as the pass rushing LB, he might be good. As a LB in a 4-3, he's below average to bad.

Wait just a minute... does this create an opening at CB for a certain Oakland Raider......?????? Please please please please please [repeat 1,000,000 times].

Sheldon Brown vs. Reggie Bush (sorry, Blue Sky.) (actually, no, I'm not :P)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XqmdI3tVuMA

Well, they did it.

So last year they lost one of the most popular players in franchise history, and now, they give away the player who is arguably the most popular right now. Unless this opens the door for that trade with the Raiders (which is probably not even a real trade that was ever on the table), this sucks. Sheldon Brown > Ellis Hobbs.

Since teams knew darn well which moves they were going to make, it seems wrong to make moves on Good Friday. Dallas cuts Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin.

Why? It's not a fed holiday, it's a regular business day for most people. I'm lucky, because the NYSE is closed, so I don't have to work, but most people I know are working. The church can't stand in the way of acquiring a fourth round draft pick.

Since teams knew darn well which moves they were going to make, it seems wrong to make moves on Good Friday. Dallas cuts Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin.

Why? It's not a fed holiday, it's a regular business day for most people. I'm lucky, because the NYSE is closed, so I don't have to work, but most people I know are working. The church can't stand in the way of acquiring a fourth round draft pick.

It is a slow news day, that is why they did it.

I have a strong feeling that the McNabb trade will go down on 4/5, because that's the Phillies' opening day, and the Eagles are extremely sensitive about losing press time to the Phils. They've held back things in the past to avoid being 100% eclipsed by their neighbors (and rivals.)

I have a strong feeling that the McNabb trade will go down on 4/5, because that's the Phillies' opening day, and the Eagles are extremely sensitive about losing press time to the Phils. They've held back things in the past to avoid being 100% eclipsed by their neighbors (and rivals.)

Wow, what a bunch of babies the Eagles must have in upper management.

I'm in favor of the Browns acquiring Brown and Gocong. By a lot.

Archived