2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

Buffalo simply cannot lure a high-profile coach to work there. It's not an attractive city, not a great team, not great facilities, and a questionable ownership situation.

I would think that they would go after a "hot" coordinator or assistant, but it seems like recently, even assistants have been turning down interview opportunities (not sure if this happened in Buffalo or not.)

Going with a retread just sends a terrible message to fans and players. Even if he's not a terrible coach, it just shows that they are shooting for mediocrity.

Kurt Shottenheimer said thanks but no thanks. I thought I heard that somewhere anyway.

Even if he did, he's not exactly an "up and comer" looking to start his head coaching career by any means necessary. Those kinds of guys take crappy jobs all the time - look at Steve Spagnolu.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo simply cannot lure a high-profile coach to work there. It's not an attractive city, not a great team, not great facilities, and a questionable ownership situation.

I would think that they would go after a "hot" coordinator or assistant, but it seems like recently, even assistants have been turning down interview opportunities (not sure if this happened in Buffalo or not.)

Going with a retread just sends a terrible message to fans and players. Even if he's not a terrible coach, it just shows that they are shooting for mediocrity.

Kurt Shottenheimer said thanks but no thanks. I thought I heard that somewhere anyway.

Even if he did, he's not exactly an "up and comer" looking to start his head coaching career by any means necessary. Those kinds of guys take crappy jobs all the time - look at Steve Spagnolu.

I'm confused... Ae we talking about Kurt (49ers ST) or Brian (Jets OC) Shottenheimer?

Todd Haley is another one of those coaches who rode the coattails of an above-par postseason to luck into an NFL coaching job. I'm sure it won't be long before KC cans him for an ex-New England staffer.

6uXNWAo.png

I would assume infrared meant Brian, who turned down the opportunity at Buffalo. I think the Bills were very keen on Brian Schottenheimer, but he decided to stay with the Jets rather than interview with Buffalo.

There don't even seem to be many 'hot' assistants around at the moment. Leslie Frasier, at Minnesota, has interviewed for a few jobs, but perhaps he is just this years 'Rooney Rule' lackey of choice.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Bills are waiting for Leslie Frazier that's what I'm thinking or what about Jason Garrett now that the Boys have retained Phillips ...

I doubt they're waiting for anybody, considering they hired Chan Galey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bills are waiting for Leslie Frazier that's what I'm thinking or what about Jason Garrett now that the Boys have retained Phillips ...

I doubt they're waiting for anybody, considering they hired Chan Galey.

Sorry doing this on an IPhone didn't have a chance to check out ESPN.

Wow Chan Gailey that one really came out of Left Field

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

Chan Gailey....that come out of nowhere.

It's not a hire that will get us Bills fans overly excited, but these are the facts:

- 2 years as Cowboys head coach, 2 years in the playoffs.

- 4 years as Steelers Offensive Co-Ordinator, 4 seasons in the playoffs, 1 Superbowl appearance.

- 2 years as Dolphins Offensive Co-Ordinator, 2 seasons in the playoffs.

(Keep in mind many of those were with such legendary QBs as Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, and Jay Fiedler)

- He was Bill Cowher's #1 choice to replace him in Pittsburgh after '07, and has stated that Gailey would be his O-Coordinator if he returned to the league.

- Not that this means much, but he also had a winning record as HC at Georgia Tech, with 6 bowl appearances in 7 years.

Am I missing something huge here? Why should I be storming 1 Bills Drive with a torch and pitchfork again? Can a Cowboys or GT fan fill me in?

I'm not a fan of either team, but due to family or locals I can tell you to prepare for a whole lot of MEH. He's not a bad coach, but he's not a particularly good one either. I honestly would've gone with a fresher face before going with a guy who's proven to be completely meh.

But I guess that's the Bills at this point of history: Meh.

Β 

Β 

Chan Gailey....that come out of nowhere.

It's not a hire that will get us Bills fans overly excited, but these are the facts:

- 2 years as Cowboys head coach, 2 years in the playoffs.

- 4 years as Steelers Offensive Co-Ordinator, 4 seasons in the playoffs, 1 Superbowl appearance.

- 2 years as Dolphins Offensive Co-Ordinator, 2 seasons in the playoffs.

(Keep in mind many of those were with such legendary QBs as Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, and Jay Fiedler)

- He was Bill Cowher's #1 choice to replace him in Pittsburgh after '07, and has stated that Gailey would be his O-Coordinator if he returned to the league.

- Not that this means much, but he also had a winning record as HC at Georgia Tech, with 6 bowl appearances in 7 years.

Am I missing something huge here? Why should I be storming 1 Bills Drive with a torch and pitchfork again? Can a Cowboys or GT fan fill me in?

Its also been reported that Cowher recommended Gailey to the Bills.

My sense from reading a little around it is that TFoA has it pretty much spot on. Not bad but not great. Given the right players he could be able to get the Bills to around .500 at least. But will he get the right players?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

While the majority of the posts have been on coaching issues, here are some things to remember about free agency for this off season, which are a direct result of the owners opting out from the CBA one year early.

1- 212 players who believed they would be unrestricted free agents actually will be restricted free agents under the rules of the uncapped year, which begins on March 5, 2010. In a normal year, four years of service qualifies a player for unrestricted free agency. In an uncapped year, the number moves to six. Names include Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Vincent Jackson. Leonard Weaver, DeMeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, and Miles Austin.

2-The Final Eight Rule (as explained by Pat Kirwan): The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.

3-Teams will have use of one franchise tag and two transition tags for an uncapped season for a total of three.

4-

Bills hire Chan Gailey as coach

Really? Wow. This has got to be a major disappointment if you're a Buffalo fan.

EVERYTHING is a disappointment if you're a Buffalo fan. We just finished one lost decade and are now beginning another.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

EVERYTHING is a disappointment if you're a Buffalo fan. We just finished one lost decade and are now beginning another.

One could say that Buffalo is:

"Oakland without the view of San Francisco"

"Cleveland without the glitter"

"Detroit with more rust"

"Jacksonville with pro sports fans and no car flags"

Eagles sign CFL rookie of the year Martell Mallett. Doesn't look like he has much of a chance to make the team though.

One could say that Buffalo is:

"Oakland without the view of San Francisco"

"Cleveland without the glitter"

"Detroit with more rust"

"Jacksonville with pro sports fans and no car flags"

Or, Cleveland without the nice winter weather. (Having experienced both places, as hard as it is to believe, Buffalo has worse winters.)

Β 

BB52Big.jpg

Β 

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Β 

I'm not a fan of either team, but due to family or locals I can tell you to prepare for a whole lot of MEH. He's not a bad coach, but he's not a particularly good one either. I honestly would've gone with a fresher face before going with a guy who's proven to be completely meh.

But I guess that's the Bills at this point of history: Meh.

In Gailey's defense, his best QB at Tech was Reggie Ball. Taylor Bennett and DeMarius Bilbo couldn't overtake Ball, and Ball sucked.

Gailey's a boring coach. He'll get some big wins and follow them up with terrible losses.

Eagles sign CFL rookie of the year Martell Mallett. Doesn't look like he has much of a chance to make the team though.

Another former BC Lion all he'll do is probably return kicks like another former BC Lion Stefan Logan in Pittsburgh.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

Archived