Official Super Bowl XLIV Thread

Cujo

The Saints are going to win big...at least according to the writers of this 1998 sitcom called "Smart Guy". :D

Considering what these teams were doing in '98, the writers probably used the least likely Super Bowl matchup they could think of. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Saints are going to win big...at least according to the writers of this 1998 sitcom called "Smart Guy". :D

Considering what these teams were doing in '98, the writers probably used the least likely Super Bowl matchup they could think of. B)

If the Saints do win, no doubt that clip will forever after be mentioned in the same breath as that scene from Back to the Future Part II which "predicted" a World Series win for the Florida Marlins.

CCSLC signature.png

Yeah, whatever. Obviously it would not be their only motivation, Einsteins. But if you think any team doesn't get a little extra motivation from hearing people talk them down, you're dreaming.

You guys hear the Colts' victory has apparently been rescinded? Well, it hasn't, but somebody making t-shirts for nflshop.com thinks so. Go to this link, then hit zoom on the t-shirt. :blink:

Saints-Colts...till you zoom

I'm not seeing it... :blink:

If the Saints do win, no doubt that clip will forever after be mentioned in the same breath as that scene from Back to the Future Part II which "predicted" a World Series win for the Florida Marlins.

Almost. The movie has the Chicago Cubs beating an unnamed "Miami" team that is represent by a gator logo in the 2015 world series. So there is still the very small possibility that the Marlins could move to the American League, change their name to the "Gators" and lose to the Cubs in the world series. Back to the Future part II could still be right about that, but in no way did they predict anything about the Marlins winning a world series.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Almost. The movie has the Chicago Cubs beating an unnamed "Miami" team that is represent by a gator logo in the 2015 world series. So there is still the very small possibility that the Marlins could move to the American League, change their name to the "Gators" and lose to the Cubs in the world series. Back to the Future part II could still be right about that, but in no way did they predict anything about the Marlins winning a world series.

Which is why I put scare quotes around "predicted". That myth is still around, and now this clip comes along which ventures into basically the same territory.

CCSLC signature.png

Yeah, whatever. Obviously it would not be their only motivation, Einsteins. But if you think any team doesn't get a little extra motivation from hearing people talk them down, you're dreaming.

You guys hear the Colts' victory has apparently been rescinded? Well, it hasn't, but somebody making t-shirts for nflshop.com thinks so. Go to this link, then hit zoom on the t-shirt. :blink:

They fixed it. Before, a 'zoom' view brought up the same shirt but with the Saints and Jets on it. I couldn't take a screen shot 'cause it's Flash or whatever.

They fixed it. Before, a 'zoom' view brought up the same shirt but with the Saints and Jets on it. I couldn't take a screen shot 'cause it's Flash or whatever.

Oh I see. That's prolly cause of their 'mass products' they produce before the ends of games saying 'NFC Conference Champs' or whatever before the team even wins. :therock:

It is interesting to look at how these teams have faired against common opponents. Because both the NFC and AFC south played the AFC east this year in divisional rotation both the Colts and Saints have played a decent amount of common opponents. Between the regular season and playoffs the Colts and Saints have 6 common opponents, Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Rams, and Cardinals. Now you throw out the Bills as a common opponent because the Colts started didn't play them. For the Jets you use the AFC Championship game over week 16. So that is a total of 5 common opponents.

If you compare the common games (all wins for both the Colts and Saints) the Colts outscored those teams by a combined total of 75 points, or an average margin of 15 points. The Saints outscored those same teams by a margin of 83 points or an average margin of 16.6 points.

That means this game should probably be really close.

Interesting stats from Jkr!

I am gonna pick the Colts to win, even though I would prefer New Orleans to win. I think the Colts have looked marginally more convincing than the Saints throughout the season, and have big match experience, which in a close game could be important.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Whoa, that isn't possible... if they share the Rams AND the Cardinals then they also have to share the Seahawks and 49ers...?

Playoffs were included in the common opponents. I used the Saints playoff game vs the Cardinals and the Colts playoff game against the Jets (the earlier Jets game vs the Colts was not included).

I am gonna pick the Colts to win, even though I would prefer New Orleans to win. I think the Colts have looked marginally more convincing than the Saints throughout the season, and have big match experience, which in a close game could be important.

Really? Interesting, because looking at the schedules they played, margins of victory, and the playoff teams they faced, the Saints have been more impressive IMO.

If the Saints win, they'll have beaten Warner, Favre, and Peyton Manning to get there. They'll have earned it.

Whoa, that isn't possible... if they share the Rams AND the Cardinals then they also have to share the Seahawks and 49ers...?

Playoffs were included in the common opponents. I used the Saints playoff game vs the Cardinals and the Colts playoff game against the Jets (the earlier Jets game vs the Colts was not included).

Okay, gotcha the Saints played the Rams in the RS b/c they finished last in their division and the Cards in the playoffs.

6fQjS3M.png

Really? Interesting, because looking at the schedules they played, margins of victory, and the playoff teams they faced, the Saints have been more impressive IMO.

If the Saints win, they'll have beaten Warner, Favre, and Peyton Manning to get there. They'll have earned it.

Its a close thing, both teams are very good, and I am not taking ANYTHING away from the Saints by saying that. Indeed the Saints will have had a hugely impressive playoff run. But I just think, and maybe some of it is just the fact that you expect the Colts to be good, and the Saints have taken everyone a bit by surprise, that the Colts have been marginally the more composed team on the run. (This, though is a head ruling heart call! I certainly wouldn't write the Saints off mind!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Does everybody remember when ESPN came out with their Ultimate Power Rankings list before the 2008 season? (They then got accused of stealing the idea from a Dallas radio host that had been doing it for years.) There version ranked all NFL franchises from 1970 through the 2007 season. For whatever reason it popped in my head while in the shower this morning and I did a quick search for it. Any guesses as to what two teams came in at 31 and 32? Thats right, the New Orleans Saints and Arizona Cardinals. This list might have been the best thing to ever happen to these teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=nflrankings/21-32/080917

As a sidenote to Super Bowl weekend:

NFL Newtork's Warren Sapp has been booted off the air after being arrested for allegedly choking a woman in his hotel room.

This is following the announcment of NFLN's Michael Irvin being accused of rape in '07.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived