If you thought the smurf turf was bad...

-(dp)-

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe New Haven is the school someone suggested Boise was ticked at? Then again I can't imagine Boise even knows that a University of New Haven exists...I didn't.

I'm pretty sure it was. I'd have to dig up the thread, it was probably buried somewhere a few months back...

Edit: Here's an article I was able to find on the subject: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/09/24/sports/24_unhfield.txt

I remember on "4th and Inches" on Commodore, the game would substitute blue/aqua turf if you had a team with a green jersey. I remember trying Eagles vs Dolphins to see what would happen if aqua was out also, I don't remember if it became dark blue or yellow or what. That team construction disk on that game was great.

How sick would a black field be?

Answer: Very sick.

i've been saying that for years...

think about how intimidating this would be:

raiders versus packers...

in oakland.

crowd wearing all black and silver, with black and silver face paint. raiders wearing black and silver. black field with silver and white markings. grey sky.

if you're a green bay packer, the only color you see anywhere in the stadium is pretty much your own yellow pants and helmets... in a sea of black and silver.

it would be pretty awesome looking. and i hate the raiders.

Not sicker than a white field.

Yea...that would be so glorious.

Or we could keep them green and eliminate the risks of losing the ball in night games and snow blindness in day games.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I thought that the NCAA had outlawed colored turf and Boise State was just grandfathered in, guess not. It's going to be hard to decide how it looks until I actually see it. Like someone said, it could look great or it could look horrible.

Here's the Wikipedia entry regarding the NCAA ban myth, and it also mentions the other non-green fields in use throughout the nation, including the red one:

The unique blue turf has spawned several myths. The most prevalentmyth is that the NCAA subsequently banned playing surface colors otherthan green, but allowed Bronco Stadium's field to remain blue under a grandfather clause.In reality, the NCAA has never adopted such a rule. Any school maycolor its playing surface (or any part, mainly the end zones) any colorit wishes, but until 2009 (when NCAA Division II University of New Haven also decided to install a blue turf)[11] only Boise State had chosen to use a non-green playing surface.

Another myth is that, mistaking the blue field for a large body ofwater, birds have flown into the blue turf and to their deaths.Although Broncos coach Chris Petersen claimed to have found a dead duck on the field in 2007[12], the origin of the duck on the field has never been confirmed.

There are only a handful of non-green football playing surfaces inthe nation. The others include three high schools: Barrow High Schoolin Barrow, AK, Lovington High School in Lovington, NM, Hidalgo High School in Hidalgo, TX, and one university: the University of New Haven in West Haven, CT.[13][14][15]Boise State's blue turf inspired the University of New Haven to installblue turf when they reinstated their football program in 2008.[16] As of Thursday, January 28, 2010, Eastern Washington University is planning to install a red artificial playing surface inside Woodward Field. [17]

Yeesh. I was searching for pics of those high schools with colored fields, and came across the logo for Hidalgo High School.

5da6dd1c-660a-45f2-a877-c041ade95b6d.gif

"Hey guys, let's rip off two of the biggest facepalms this decade, the Pittsburgh Pirates and the XFL. Nobody will ever notice!"

6uXNWAo.png

The balls aren't real leather anymore, right? If so, I'd guess that different colored balls (hopefully not blue) is the next logical step.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That could be a next step, but I doubt that happens. Aren't most balls issued by conferences and approved by the NCAA? I find it hard for the NCAA or any conference to approve a Blue, White or any other color than Brown football.

saBS.png

Well unless it is in a dome it would be very hot until October.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

If you cant spot a three dimensional ball on a flat playing surface, regardless of color, you probably shouldn't be playing a fast-paced, vicious contact sport. Moreover, a lot of natural grass fields end up pretty brown by the end of the season, and I've never heard anyone complain that spotting the ball was difficult. Same with a wet, muddy field.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived