Jets May Play on Thanksgiving

Brian E

Here is the Jets' concept helmet:

BB262.jpg?t=1266422733

WOW....very interesting. Would love to see the unis that it would go along with. Kind of has a Hawaii Warriors feel to it with the black and green. I still like the more traditional look better. I would love to see a redesign of the typographical nightmare that is the current logo. Too much going on there for it to work IMO. I've always wondered how the 60's airplane logo would look if it was in an oval. I doesn't seem to work for me as a stand alone logo.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logo is kinda redundant. Should be an N Y inside the plane.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BB262.jpg?t=1266422733

Horrible idea and execution, plus a nightmare for NY to use that kind of plane...it's as naive as the President's low flyover photo op.

well what other plane should they use?

a woodworking plane?

That's the origin of their name...is it not?

BB262.jpg?t=1266422733

Horrible idea and execution, plus a nightmare for NY to use that kind of plane...it's as naive as the President's low flyover photo op.

well what other plane should they use?

a woodworking plane?

That's the origin of their name...is it not?

Not to dig up old wounds, but I think he may be referring to 9/11. In that respect a New York based team using a passenger jet as a logo may not be the best move.

Even if we put that aside a fighter jet would make for a much more "fierce" logo than a passenger jet, that is if the team felt the need to incorporate an actual jet into the identity.

I still think the oval with the bold NY is the best way to go. It honours the SB III era logo they currently use, but without the clutter. Plus it would be cool to see both New York football teams utilize bold NY logos, each in a different way.

Not to dig up old wounds, but I think he may be referring to 9/11. In that respect a New York based team using a passenger jet as a logo may not be the best move.

Only if you think New Yorkers are a group of ninnies afraid of our own shadow. Hint: we're not.

I still think the oval with the bold NY is the best way to go. It honours the SB III era logo they currently use, but without the clutter. Plus it would be cool to see both New York football teams utilize bold NY logos, each in a different way.

That's my general sense of the alt logo - it's strong, dynamic, classic and much cleaner than their primary.

So what do you guys think of this?

Texans.gif?t=1266431209

I think the Jets would look terrible in that.

It would be like a red, white, and blue Christmas. Are you saying you don't like Christmas? Or do you not like America? Commie...

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Only if you think New Yorkers are a group of ninnies afraid of our own shadow. Hint: we're not.

I'm not implying you guys are. I'm just saying that in today's uber-PC world, it may not be the best move.

I'm just saying don't look for PC where it doesn't exist.

Nobody considered changing the Jets' name then, we wouldn't blink twice at that logo were it introduced now.

My comment was intended more for Buster, though, since he was the one who actually raised the whole silly idea.

Even if we put that aside a fighter jet would make for a much more "fierce" logo than a passenger jet, that is if the team felt the need to incorporate an actual jet into the identity.

I'm well aware of 9/11...I was less than an hour away from the city that day. It was tough to miss. The passenger Jet makes complete sense because of the history of where the team played when it changed it's name from Titans to Jets(Shea Stadium which was next to LaGuardia)

Nobody considered changing the Jets' name then, we wouldn't blink twice at that logo were it introduced now.

My comment was intended more for Buster, though, since he was the one who actually raised the whole silly idea.

This.

There's nothing worse then being overly PC...except for trying to create a reason to act as such. The passenger jet logo is fine, it just needs tweaking. :)

This.

There's nothing worse then being overly PC...except for trying to create a reason to act as such. The passenger jet logo is fine, it just needs tweaking. :)

Well 9/11 PC aside, I still don't like it. A passenger jet, but jet standards, is slow and cumbersome. Not aspects you want associated with your football team. So if the team was going to use a jet plane as part of their identity a fighter jet would make much more sense. They're faster, sleeker, more manoeuvrable, and more marketable. What's going to sell faster? A cap with a passenger jet or a fighter jet?

Of course the Jets don't need to incorporated any jet into their identity. At all. The current alternate, the green football with the bold NY, is the way to go.

Of course the Jets don't need to incorporated any jet into their identity. At all. The current alternate, the green football with the bold NY, is the way to go.

Right. Super-major market teams should base their identity around their locals, with the "mascot" being there mainly for merchandise purposes or to play to the kids. Not that there is anything totally wrong with doing that, but it's more something that I associate with smaller-market or even "minor league" teams that have to use a lot of gimmicks to get attention / crowds. I'm not saying that any team who does this is minor-league, just that I don't think that the super big teams should market their nicknames over their city.

In conclusion,

the NY-oval would work perfectly fine for the Jets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This.

Well 9/11 PC aside, I still don't like it. A passenger jet, but jet standards, is slow and cumbersome. Not aspects you want associated with your football team. So if the team was going to use a jet plane as part of their identity a fighter jet would make much more sense. They're faster, sleeker, more manoeuvrable, and more marketable. What's going to sell faster? A cap with a passenger jet or a fighter jet?

Don't get me wrong...I don't think the jet logo (the one with the actual plane in it) is the best solution. I think with some tweaking it could be. I love the 'NY' oval logo font, but also wish it were tweaked a bit. You're right, they "don't have to incorporate a jet plane as part of their identity" but if they did and it looked good and so far that hasn't quite happened...I think it would be a good choice.

In regards to your allusion to a fighter jets...I think its a matter of opinion and taste. I don't think a "fighter jet" has anymore value to the identity or the marketability of the team then a passenger jet. I personally like the historical nod that a passenger jet gives to the origins of the team name. What I believe is the most marketable element of the team name is not the JETS part but the NEW YORK part. Basically, if you are the NEW YORK *insert team name* you already have an edge. Which brings us back to your suggestion to utilize the oval 'NY' logo. I would love to see them use that same logo, utilize the stylized Jet streak from the 80's JETS logo, and merge them so that the jet comes off of the 'Y' and out to the edge of the oval. If I have time I'd do a two second mock up. I think it would be a think of beauty. It would also be a nice modernization of two old and very recognizable Jets logos.

Archived