Jets May Play on Thanksgiving

Brian E

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/02/16/thanksgiving-2010-detroit-style/

The Jets or the Patriots will play in Detroit this Thanksgiving. I know the league got away from the throwbacks for all the games last year, but if they do decide to return, will the Jets go throwback? Is this the perfect opportunity to go to a Jets-themes throwback and ditch the Titans of New York uni? Care to spectulate?

Personally, I'd love to see the green helmet look comeback as a full-time throwback, but the version before they added the black. The Gastineau era-perferrably.

sig2024.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets wear throwbacks every game.

Not quite. Real throwbacks would have grey facemasks and a lighter shade of green . . . not to mention more sleeve stripes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I don't think the green helmets will make a comeback, but if they do, I actually like the black trim. One of the few "just add black" successes (IMHO).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Titens jerseys are pointless. The team stunk. If that was the case, let's see the Eagles in white helmets/kelly green jerseys and the Oilers in columbia blue helmets to celebrate part of their heritage.

BTW, I have a Jets concept helmet in my collection - metallic green/black (similar to Jags), 1963 logo, black facemask.

Forget the duds. I just hope the Jets don't stink up the joint like they did the last time they played on Thanksgiving.

They're playing the Lions, I don't think you have to worry about them playing like :censored:.

Nope. No good-looking uniform is pointless. And the Titans' qualify.

But Thanksgiving game no longer automatically equals throwback uniform. Sure, the Jets have an alternate that they can wear in 2010, but even if they do there's no guarantee that they'll wear it on Thanksgiving.

Why did the NFL end the Thanksgiving Throwback program anyway? Thanksgiving games are by far the longest running annual tradition in the NFL. There's not a more appropriate time in the entire season for every participating team to wear a throwback.

It was an odd choice. Especially when you consider the fact that the NFL never misses an opportunity to make a buck, and the Thanksgiving throwbacks were a great way to advertise those jerseys.

Plus it would make both sides happy if the NFL instituted a Thanksgiving throwbacks only policy. No team would be allowed to wear a throwback outside of a major anniversary unless it's in a Thanksgiving game. Throwback fans get an annual dosage of the old uniforms and the fans who complain about the trend running its course only have to deal with it one week a season.

Titens jerseys are pointless. The team stunk. If that was the case, let's see the Eagles in white helmets/kelly green jerseys and the Oilers in columbia blue helmets to celebrate part of their heritage.

BTW, I have a Jets concept helmet in my collection - metallic green/black (similar to Jags), 1963 logo, black facemask.

I actually liked the Eagles' white helmet. If I was doing a full re-design, I'd probably put them in silver helmets with green wings and bring back the silver pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If I had to guess, it would have been because not every team could be included. I remember back when throwbacks on Thanksgiving were in full swing, everything would go vintage. NFL.com had the old logos, and even teams playing that weekend that weren't involved in the actual games would wear throwbacks. Then, however, you had teams that couldn't really partake in it, like the Jaguars (at the time) and the Panthers. Also, this was the time when the Buccaneers weren't even entertaining the thought of throwing back to the creamsicles. So seeing as it couldn't be a completely league wide thing, the OCD-minded NFL scrapped the entire theme.

That would be my guess anyway.

The Jets wear throwbacks every game.

Not quite. Real throwbacks would have grey facemasks and a lighter shade of green . . . not to mention more sleeve stripes.

Count me in on the 'not quite' sentiment. While the Jets current set is throwback-inspired, the shade of green is the most glaring aspect that makes the look a non-throwback. And I really hate the change from light to dark green over the years. It'd be nice to see a more vibrant Jets look. I know a lot of Eagles fans hate the dark green, but I actually think the Eagles own that green shade now and it was a fairly good upgrade at the time IMO. I think the Jets change to dark green muddies the look.

As far as the Titans throwbacks, yeah total bummers. Although the whites look much better than the navy blues. The problem is the lack of outline around the dark gold numbers on a dark navy blue. The numbers and lettering gets lost. There's no reason the Jets can't get a better design for their third.

sig2024.png

Does anyone else agree the New York Titans jerseys are absolutely pointless to be worn?

They do it because it's different enough to sell for merchandise reasons. Has to be it. The logo and uniforms are too similar that many wouldn't even know the difference. This is their way of making $. If it didn't sell, they wouldn't go with it.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived