Chivas USA No More

Droost

Per the somewhat unreliable MLS-Rumors.net and verified by Goal.com, the owner of Chivas has lost the rights to use the Chivas trademark, and the mark as used by the team is now dead. The club is in the process of rebranding before the start of the MLS season.

Link: CHIVAS USA DEAD

Any suggestions for possible names? As a fan of the combined American / International naming (Ex. Sounders FC), I would love for this topic to stay away from what countries nicknames are best debate and focus on a new rebranding for the club. Should the club stay with the red/white/blue color scheme, revert back to the green & gold, or adopt a new scheme altogether?

Possible Suggestions:

Club Deportivo Los Angeles

AC LA

Aztecs FC

Alliance Los Angeles (Personally I do not like this name but MLS has been trying to crowbar the Alliance & Republic names to all their recent expansion teams)

California SC

There is enough of the Red White and Blue currently in the league and I would love to see the Green and Gold make a comeback but I have a feeling that it is very unlikely. Any possible new color schemes that would work for LA? Cannot use Green/Gold - Reserved for Timbers

Appreciate any feedback.....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... wait... let me see if I get this right. CD Guadalajara doesn't own its own name, crest, and colors? Bwuh?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

IMO, it's better for them to have ANY of those names (though I'd prefer CD Los Angeles or a revival of the Aztecs) than to be the knockoff version of CD Guadalajara, which is what they were as Chivas USA.

So yeah, can't wait to see how this works out. Gonna be really difficult for everybody to get this done considering the start of the season is right around the corner...

Without rereading the MLS-Rumors article, I believe that it says that the Aztecs TM is currently owned by Club America's owner, therefore one could assume that this name wouldn't be allowed by Americas chief rival without significant financial compensation........

Also I would have to suggest that the Revolution are in dire need of a rebrand and if the Krafts would get it into gear "Revolution 1776" would make a great name for the New England Club....

Forget the rebrand. I know this is wishful thinking, but start the relocation rumors!

I personally am a fan of having two teams in LA, and hopefully two teams in NY....... Relocation shouldn't come into consideration because there are far worse clubs attendance figures than Chivas. EX. Dallas.

If relocation would happen I would have to go with Dallas and New England as the two possible candidates.....But with Garber's plan to cap the teams @ 20 for at least the next 5 years its probably not gonna happen. With Montreal expected as 19 and New York City as 20 that should be it, unless St. Louis can show tremendous fan interest in their NASL/USL club to warrant a team moving........

aztecs

BRING BACK THE AZTECS!!!!

LA Aztecs, Aztecs FC, whatever...

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

First thing I thought of was Club America. Perhaps something that would not require or imply a direct relationship with a particular foreign club, though, so something like Club Los Angeles, with a return to the old color scheme. Or Chumash instead of Aztec.

Or rather than directly aping any particular foreign team, maybe something like La Republica with a red, white, and brown color scheme, the whole identity playing off the California Republic state flag. The uniform just about designs itself - a single horizontal stripe, a large star on one breast or shoulder, a crest with a striding bear.

20082614447.png

Forget the rebrand. I know this is wishful thinking, but start the relocation rumors!

I personally am a fan of having two teams in LA, and hopefully two teams in NY....... Relocation shouldn't come into consideration because there are far worse clubs attendance figures than Chivas. EX. Dallas.

If relocation would happen I would have to go with Dallas and New England as the two possible candidates.....But with Garber's plan to cap the teams @ 20 for at least the next 5 years its probably not gonna happen. With Montreal expected as 19 and New York City as 20 that should be it, unless St. Louis can show tremendous fan interest in their NASL/USL club to warrant a team moving........

Well the X-factor is if the fans who have supported Chivas USA will support the rebranded name with such enthusiasm.

FC Dallas is not relocating despite attendance woes, which has to do with the team performing miserably the last few seasons.

Interesting, I've heard that Kraft is in preliminary stages of building an SSS for the Revolution in Somerville, but haven't read anything lately about that situation.

I'm not sure how credible this is, but whe you continue to browse mls-rumors.net, you'll notice that the rights to the New York Cosmos brand had be sold with the intent to make a traveling all-star soccer team, similar to the Harlem Globetrotters. So as much as I'd like to see a true NYC club (and named the Cosmos as well), there might be a few stumbling blocks along the way for that to happen.

Finally, I've heard that the Los Angeles Sol name is available ^_^

Well the X-factor is if the fans who have supported Chivas USA will support the rebranded name with such enthusiasm.

FC Dallas is not relocating despite attendance woes, which has to do with the team performing miserably the last few seasons.

Interesting, I've heard that Kraft is in preliminary stages of building an SSS for the Revolution in Somerville, but haven't read anything lately about that situation.

I'm not sure how credible this is, but whe you continue to browse mls-rumors.net, you'll notice that the rights to the New York Cosmos brand had be sold with the intent to make a traveling all-star soccer team, similar to the Harlem Globetrotters. So as much as I'd like to see a true NYC club (and named the Cosmos as well), there might be a few stumbling blocks along the way for that to happen.

- SSS Kraft rumors have been going on for years, and I will take a believe it when I see it approach.

= W/ regards to the Cosmos as Globetrotters, as I stated in my first post MLS-Rumors is not the most reliable source and without a credible secondary source to verify the info, I would take it with a grain of salt.

- While the Cosmos would be the ideal name for a club located in NYC, it is not necessary, and if the Wilpon's get the correct financing (Beckham?) I would expect a team w/i the next 5 years located in Queens...

Though it may not be PC, I would certainly join those that suggest bringing back the Aztecs name in some manner.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Archived